Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Deer in Delco

(Delaware County)

Default Deer in Delco

Don't know if anyone has noticed but man the deer are all over the place around Clifton Springfield and so on walking down streets in the middle of the night. I take my motorcycle on night runs and that's when I run into them at the most oddball places I am socked to see them in such urban places

and man it's even worst all around Ridley creek state park took some back roads around three in the morning in a span of about 5mins I seen over 40 of them now I understand why they close the park to allow hunts every year

Default Re: Deer in Delco

Have you seen the price of gas lately? They can afford to cruise the hoods now

Thats funny you mention that, i havent seen a deer around here (westbrook park) in awhile. Usually i hear gunshots on bishop ave from the springfield popo shooting wounded ones. I did see three buck at my job in bryn mawr the other day.

(Delaware County)

Came across one that had just been hit last year, laying in the road and lame. Stayed with it for about twenty minutes while a cruiser came by, who proceeded to need to put two shots into it's chest before killing it. Made me sad...next time I'll take the damned shot myself and make the call after dragging her to the shoulder and driving away.
    Junior

My last house was in Drexel Hill and Darby Creek was my back yard. Between the creek, the hollow next to my house where the deer would rest and hang during the day, and them crossing the street to get to the other side I would literally have over a 50-100 deer sightings a year, normally with multiple deer.

When riding my motorcycle, some of my closest calls with deer came within 100 yards of my house. I grew up in Upper Darby and until I moved there I had no idea that there were deer in the area, much less that many.

Same thing with foxes. When we moved into the house back in 99 we would normally have a population of 25-100 ducks living back there depending upon the time of the year and no foxes. Around the summer of 2000 we saw our first fox. over the next two years the fox population went up (a fox had given birth to a litter in the hollow next to the house) and the ducks pretty much disappeared from the area.

Deer, foxes, blue herons fishing, snakes, and a bunch of other animals that I was never really aware of as being in the area. ( I grew up near Naylor's Run which was pretty much dead back in the 70's) But there is a lot more going on than a lot of people realize.

(Delaware County)

The problem is that there is no where to hunt in delco so the herds are just getting out of hand .

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by allananthony84 View Post
    The problem is that there is no where to hunt in delco so the herds are just getting out of hand .
    so, let the buicks handle the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Came across one that had just been hit last year, laying in the road and lame. Stayed with it for about twenty minutes while a cruiser came by, who proceeded to need to put two shots into it's chest before killing it. Made me sad...next time I'll take the damned shot myself and make the call after dragging her to the shoulder and driving away.
    Apparently the humane thing to do is illegal. PAGC says so.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Delaware County)

I have been all over PA, but one of the largest bucks I ever saw was in Delco, a huge buck running around an Applebees parking lot in Aston. It was morning, way past sunrise, and 452 was bumper to bumper with traffic, but this buck was just prancing around without a care in the world. I found out from an old Aston local , that the Applebees was part of a large track of woods that was once part of the Mercury Gun Club. Kind of ironic.
    Last edited by theyoungone; October 22nd, 2014 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theyoungone View Post
    I have been all over PA, but one of the largest bucks I ever saw was in Delco, a huge buck running around an Applebees parking lot in Aston. It was morning, way past sunrise, and 452 was bumper to bumper with traffic, but this buck was just prancing around without a care in the world. I found out from an old Aston local , that the Applebees was part of a large track of woods that was once part of the Mercury Gun Club. Kind of ironic.
    That area is known for monster buck.