Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Philadelphia Airport

Hello everyone,

I recently brought my family to the airport to drop them off for their flight. At the time, I had my gun in my vehicle. When I was driving up to the departing flight area, I saw a sign that said "All vehicles subject to search." My questions are:

1) If they did search my vehicle and find my gun (even though the gun is registered and I have a permit to carry), I would think that the worst they could do is force me to leave the airport property. Do you agree?

2) If they did ask to search my vehicle, could I have said no? Just because there is a sign up doesn't necessary mean it's legal...or does it?

Although no one asked to search my vehicle, it did get me thinking and I wonder what would have happened. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thanks!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Philadelphia Airport

I'm thinking bombs and drugs and the like is their concern.

(Franklin County)

My responses in red.

Quote Originally Posted by GlocksInPA View Post
    Hello everyone,

I recently brought my family to the airport to drop them off for their flight. At the time, I had my gun in my vehicle. When I was driving up to the departing flight area, I saw a sign that said "All vehicles subject to search." My questions are:

1) If they did search my vehicle and find my gun (even though the gun is registered It can't be. There is no such thing as "registration" in PA and I have a permit to carry), I would think that the worst they could do is force me to leave the airport property. Do you agree? No. PHL is owned by the city of Philadelphia, and thus subject to PA's preemption law. State law does not prohibit carry in non-sterile areas, so they cannot impose any additional restrictions

2) If they did ask to search my vehicle, could I have said no? Yes. Just because there is a sign up doesn't necessary mean it's legal...or does it? No

Although no one asked to search my vehicle, it did get me thinking and I wonder what would have happened. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thanks!
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Venango County)

This brings up an interesting question (IANAL)...

As the OP has a LTCF, would he not have been better off keeping the firearm on his person rather than in the vehicle? I do not know if he refers to driving with the firearm in the vehicle to the airport or he removed it prior to seeing the family off in the airport etc.

But is the requirement to search the individual more stringent, less or the same as to search a vehicle? Even if the same, the advantage still is that he could allow a search of the vehicle (if he wanted to) to avert some kind of suspicion. Granted, the suspicion would not be legally warranted in my opinion. Assuming no contraband or other cause to arrest, they could not search his person, no?

Just wondering about that aspect.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

There is a member that OC's on a pretty regular basis at the Philly airport when he flies in or is returning a rental car. Never heard of him having a problem there even OCing like he does with a 1911
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Chester County)

I would think that it would be unlikely you'd be stopped and searched unless your actions warranted it, such as through suspicious behavior, wreckless driving etc. Don't give them a reason and you will have nothing to worry about.

You definitely can refuse to allow a search. This is no different than when the overzealous clerks at the exit at Wal-Mart stop people to check their receipts, or if the magnetic alarm goes off when someone exits the store. I always refuse to allow my bags to be searched. I had a clerk follow me out of the store one time when the alarm went off on an item when the cashier had forgot to deactivate the magnetic strip on it. When the clerk stopped me and demanded I show her the receipt, I politely said "NO, I do not have to show you anything" and kept walking. There is nothing they can do. If they then lay a hand on you, they had better be right about their accusations or they open themselves up to a lawsuit. The thing not to do though is stop and argue with them, because then they will get security involved. Just politely say "no" and keep walking, or in the case of the airport, just slowly drive off.

It amazes me how many people will allow themselves to be searched in instances like this. The don't realize they are givin gtheir rights away by doing this.
    Last edited by Poonie; June 26th, 2008 at 02:21 PM.

(Bucks County)

I remember shortly after 911 they were stopping all cars going into the parking lot...They asked each car to pop the trunk and they looked underneath the vehicle with mirrors..thats about it...don't think they were doing a thorough search and that was the first and last time I saw that happen.

Edit: and I was carrying in the center console at the time....
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by widearea View Post
    I remember shortly after 911 they were stopping all cars going into the parking lot...They asked each car to pop the trunk and they looked underneath the vehicle with mirrors..thats about it...don't think they were doing a thorough search and that was the first and last time I saw that happen.

Edit: and I was carrying in the center console at the time....

Security by intimidation.

They arent going to catch anyone who knows what they are doing. They are only going to catch the stupid.

Every now and then the security guard here at my office decide to bag check people on the way in. I open my bag, he looks...asks to see in my lunch bag () and says OK have a nice day. Didnt check all of the pockets my bag had - I could have had weapons in them. Didnt see the big ass folding knife clearly clipped to my pants. I had asked him what he is looking for and why I need to have my bag searched on my way in to work. He points to the prohibited items sign that includes weapons (I dont consider my knife a weapon, its a tool )

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    I would think that it would be unlikely you'd be stopped and searched unless your actions warranted it, such as through suspicious behavior, wreckless driving etc. Don't give them a reason and you will have nothing to worry about.

You definitely can refuse to allow a search. This is no different than when the overzealous clerks at the exit at Wal-Mart stop people to check their receipts, or if the magnetic alarm goes off when someone exits the store. I always refuse to allow my bags to be searched. I had a clerk follow me out of the store one time when the alarm went off on an item when the cashier had forgot to deactivate the magnetic strip on it. When the clerk stopped me and demanded I show her the receipt, I politely said "NO, I do not have to show you anything" and kept walking. There is nothing they can do. If they then lay a hand on you, they had better be right about their accusations or they open themselves up to a lawsuit. The thing not to do though is stop and argue with them, because them the ywill get security involved. Just politely say "no" and keep walking, or in the case of the airport, just slowly drive off.

It amazes me how many people will allow themselves to be searched in instances like this. The don't realize they are givin gtheir rights away by doing this.

Why would you not allow them to check your bag to make sure you weren't stealing anything. Seems a little goofy to me, and I'd rather they catch shoplifters so my prices don't go up. I'm not being a smartass -- genuinely curious why you would make that person's life more difficult. You know they aren't trying to give you a hard time, and there is a legitimate and understandable reason for the request.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by WitsBusa View Post
    Why would you not allow them to check your bag to make sure you weren't stealing anything. Seems a little goofy to me, and I'd rather they catch shoplifters so my prices don't go up. I'm not being a smartass -- genuinely curious why you would make that person's life more difficult. You know they aren't trying to give you a hard time, and there is a legitimate and understandable reason for the request.
    Why, because I am not a thief!!! If they have a reason to search me, then they better explain it. To simply search without a reason is ludicrous. What if they stop you and ask you to submit to a cavity search, are yo ugoin gto allow it? Of course not.

Shoplifters, well they have camedra systems and plain clothes security employed to catch shop lifters. Don't you think one of those measures would have tipped them off first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast