Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Justifiable Use of Deadly Force

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I was also taught that witnesses have conflicting accounts of what they see but often remember what they hear. And they will hear what is going on before they see it (if at all). And given similar advice about loudly speaking similar things.
    I'm starting to see cop dashcam videos where what is being said by the (bad) cops is clearly at odds with the events unfolding, and being said purely for the benefit of the cameras and the lying cop.

Cops who repeatedly shout "stop resisting" at people who are not resisting, for example.

It comes across as a premeditated strategy to conceal and deceive in order to cover up a crime, in those cases, and if I were a juror, I'd be tempted to crucify such a person, if he were found and arrested and charged and tried.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(York County)

I think being an Ayoob devote' (of which, I am one) doesn't mean you hit the pause button and disect the interaction in the moment. That misses the point. If anyone teaches about confabulation, it's Mas. Over and over again!

I believe the greater point of his training, his genious, is that we are compelled by our choice to arm ourselves, to as much as humanly possible, cement in our minds what a justified response to a deadly threat looks like. The better we are able to do that, the more quickly and automatically that response will spring from our brain to our finger tips. Disecting it in the classroom is necessary to understanding what is justifiable and what isn't. How else you going to do it? Like playing chess at 100 mph?

Remember this one? CYA: Can You Authenticate? Can YOu Articulate?

If you can't beforehand, you shouldn't in the moment. It sounds preposturous that one could learn to access this stuff in a micro second, and maybe it is. But, how else are you going to defend yourself without knowing what is in the mind of the attacker? Can't always NOT shoot when you should, and can't shoot everyone "just in case". Not making the choice to try and educate yourself isn't going to play well in court. It's an awesome responsibility and to suppose you'll just get it right without any knowledge or training is foolhardy, yet I know a whole bunch of people who think they will get it right under just those conditions, without ANY knowledge or training at all. They think because they carry a gun they are immune to violence and the aftermath of their actions against it. After all, they are the good guys, right? I've actually been made fun of by the ignorant when I 've deposited one of my learned gems into their story of triumph as they vanquish evil in their mind. Ayoob is one of the best there is in the world at this stuff, and I'll never be sorry I took instruction from him. Ignorance doesn't know it's ignorant.

(Montgomery County)

States generally make their own gun laws. The lawyer describing when one can legally use deadly force was from Massachusetts.

PA has a stand your ground law. I couldn't retreat even if I wanted to. I have a prosthetic leg. I would not draw my firearm unless I intended to use it.

It is like the situation in Ferguson, MO. I would rather contend with the legal system than have a 300 lb. gorilla beat my on my head.

(Chester County)

If I were a lawyer, and the overreaching prosecutor was Monday morning my client's actions comparing it, to the damn near perfect responses of a "reasonable standard", I would present to the jury what my client, and other victims of crime you the jury would face called:

"The Unreasonable Criminal" or Typical Standard Criminal Traits

Violent - unfair – unjust – unrealistic- outrageous – violates fundamental morality – defiance – impatient - Low vocabulary – low intelligence – abusive - hot tempered- ignores laws – selfish- sensation seeking
    Believes crime is rewarding- on drugs & alcohol – long criminal record -
    possession of a weapon indicates he passed from petty crimes to violent crimes and a willing to use it.

Would you your life or health in the hands of that criminal hoping he'll be merciful?

(Bucks County)

Maybe they could make getting pounded in the face a part of voir dire...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234