Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Is it wrong to only clean with patches?

For the past two years I've only used cotton patches and solvents to clean my barrel. As I understand the purpose of jag's and brushes cleans quicker but also cleans out the rifling. In using patches am I doing enough to clean out the fouling?

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: Is it wrong to only clean with patches?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingdonhavoc View Post
    For the past two years I've only used cotton patches and solvents to clean my barrel. As I understand the purpose of jag's and brushes cleans quicker but also cleans out the rifling. In using patches am I doing enough to clean out the fouling?
    I'm no gun expert, but I've always used patches and I think so long as you clean till they come out clean you're doing a good job. All the new primers are non-corrosive, so that's not an issue. I'd say the brushes are more for the tough stuff, but I'm also not an expert.

If the bore is clean when you're done then I don't think it really matters how you got there.

what do the gun cleaning experts think?

(Lehigh County)

Are you saying "cleans out the rifling" as in, removes the rifling? If you are, the brass brushes are softer than the steel barrel and will not hurt the rifling. What do you think happens when you shoot a lead jacketed bullet through your barrel?

(Chester County)

I am anal about my bore, so I use the workes every time all the time. I have 9,100 rounds through my Glock 30 and the bore looks brand new and shiny. All of my bores look the same way. I am just super anal, keep that in mind. Like some one said if it is clean who gives a flying donkey fart how you got it to that stage.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Berks County)

As long as its clean, thats all that matters. I use a brass brush to save some time, but thats pretty much all a brush is for. Cleaning solvent will disolve any fouling, just takes a little longer with patches alone. So you get to spend a little more time bonding with your guns than I do lol.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Westmoreland County)

Cool I figured using a brass brush wouldn't accelerate wear on the barrel but wanted some reassurance. As for a jag what exactly is the purpose? Is it just to keep the rod centered in the barrel and help push fouling out? Thanks for some beginner help!

(Chester County)

Cool I figured using a brass brush wouldn't accelerate wear on the barrel but wanted some reassurance. As for a jag what exactly is the purpose? Is it just to keep the rod centered in the barrel and help push fouling out? Thanks for some beginner help!

It also helps keep pressure on the inside of the barrel insuring you get all of the dirty bore cleaner out.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    I'm no gun expert, but I've always used patches and I think so long as you clean till they come out clean you're doing a good job. All the new primers are non-corrosive, so that's not an issue. I'd say the brushes are more for the tough stuff, but I'm also not an expert.

If the bore is clean when you're done then I don't think it really matters how you got there.

what do the gun cleaning experts think?
    What P-11 said. I usually do the same.

(Berks County)

After im done with the brush and 'needle eye' i fold a patch over the jag and push it thru a few times to get out all the solvent and any fouling thats left, then put on a clean patch with a drop or 2 of oil and push it thru with the jag to get a light coat on the inside of the barrel to help prevent corrosion.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Lawrence County)

Precision rifles may need regular cleaning to maintain good groups, but using a solvent and brush on your pistol barrel after every hundred rounds could drastically reduce barrel life depending on the combination of solvent and brushes.

Personally, I only occasionally use a clean boresnake or wet patch on my pistol barrels with CLP....my barrels rarely see solvents. My STI has 29,845 logged rounds without a solvent. It looks as shiny as day one.

Lycanlubeitthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast