Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default Re: Frustration - too close to MD

These threads piss me off to no end. No one should have to worry about being lawfully armed simply because they cross a state border.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    These threads piss me off to no end. No one should have to worry about being lawfully armed simply because they cross a state border.
    You mean to tell me that crossing an arbitrarily designated imaginary line isn't really capable of converting a person from a law-abiding citizen in to a felonious ne'er do well?
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Dauphin County)

Get your Utah permit, then DE and OH are now "legal". NY, NJ, and MD can go suck it. Except sometimes I use "interstate transport" to get through MD to WV if I don't have the time to ride out to Somerset county so's to cross directly. I also use interstate transport to cross the Dead Lands to get to the USA's enclave known as VT, NH, and ME.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Agree!!!

I just traveled to Northern Virginia this past June for Vacation and had to go through that one section of Rte 81 in Maryland. Granted I had a (towed) RV with my Handgun locked up under the bed and the magazine locked in an exterior compartment. Regardless of FOPA, I still shit a brick the entire 15 min. drive through that state.
    Last edited by pacpiper; August 19th, 2014 at 07:39 AM.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Franklin County)

I literally live less than 5 miles from MD. It does suck major ass. I have to think hard and consider my route whenever I'm carrying, many times I end up leaving the gun at home because I think I may cross the Mason Dixon line. I know where all the road side pull offs and parking lots are at the state line so I can stop, unload and lock it up before crossing into MD. The up side is I spend very little of my shopping money in MD because I don't feel like disarming myself.

My advice, get used to disarming, leaving it at home and following the law, it's not worth getting caught. It's a felony in MD now. I got caught with a pistol n my glove box back in 94, it was a misdemeanor then and it still cost me a lot of money and caused me a lot of trouble that in some ways I'm still paying for. 20 years later and I still recall parts of that event vividly. It was an experience that I'm sure has shaped my current feelings about law enforcement and the people involved.

If you feel you need to carry, then stay out of MD, or at least pass right through it and follow the "interstate transportation of firearms" laws.
    It's really a toss up, your chances of having a devastatingly horrible encounter with a criminal are probably about the same as having a horrible encounter with a LEO so pick you poison, jail, fines and loss of rights verses getting beaten, killed or robbed.

I had to go to MD today so I left the gun at home. I felt very uneasy the whole time although I didn't feel vulnerable to violence, it was more like I felt violated and pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    The 'guy that shaves my beard' sometimes once drove into a state east of here and back so his wife could take a picture of her Mustang coming off the bridge. As soon as he realized the gun was on his hip he started sweating. There was a bicycle race in this state 'east of here' that day, and the State Police were directing traffic. This poor guy wound up with a Trooper leaning in the window admiring the '67 Mustang until the last bike went by. Then he went one block and turned around and flew across the bridge back to the Land of The Free!

He still trembles sometimes when he recalls just how close he came to not being free anymore! He assures me he will NOT make that mistake again.
    Wow... talk about a budding case of PTSD

(York County)

If you are driving through the Peoples Republic of MD and get stopped, DO NOT tell the officer you are carrying concealed. If you are stopped for say speeding, just act normal and when he asks if he can search your car, SAY NO!!!!! You do not have to give a reason. I spent 29 yrs in law enforcement and retired from Baltimore County PD. I will not allow a search period, the end.
    My wife has her CC permit and works in MD and several times she has forgotten and carried into MD, she is just careful with what she does, and does not get overly concerned. Most police officers would not know you are carrying in the first place, they just do not notice.

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    At least we have the Delaware River in the east to remind us. Those "Last exit in PA" signs have greater meaning for me now!
    That's exactly why we installed that river.

We're still saving up for a fence. And maybe guard towers.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    At least we have the Delaware River in the east to remind us. Those "Last exit in PA" signs have greater meaning for me now!
    There are many places along the MD line where you can easily cross unintentionally. There's usually one sign but on some roads there are no signs at all. You can go from upstanding, law abiding citizen to committing felony just like that and not even know it and to make it worse there are cops and prosecutors who have orgasms over busting people like that.
    Last edited by ray h; September 5th, 2014 at 07:33 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast