Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Default Re: Moving to Pittsburgh Area

I'd also look at Sewickley (Quaker Valley SD) -- 20 mins from downtown and it's a very nice neighborhood.

(Beaver County)

Thank You everyone now I have some ideas of where I should and shouldn't look.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    I will second everything Bearpack said.. I am a big Hampton fan. They have an outstanding school district .. outstanding parks and recreation.. minutes from North Park.. 20 mins to Monroeville... 20 mins to cranberry .. 20 mins to McKnight Shopping.. 20 mins to downtown... 20 mins to Lawrenceville....20 mins to Butler. Did I say 20 mins?

Plus a turnpike exit.... lol
    I heard that McKnight road is swallowing cars whole.

OP, stay outta Homewood. Oh and when you're on the highway towards the Squirrel Hill Tunnel and traffic is backed up for miles, and you're thinking "my god, there's gotta be a horrible accident up there", you'll be thinking wrong, it's just the tunnel that apparently no one in Pittsburgh can maintain the speed limit through it.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Mercer County)

Just make sure you go the Hoffbrauhaus. That place is fucking magical.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Oh and when you're on the highway towards the Squirrel Hill Tunnel and traffic is backed up for miles, and you're thinking "my god, there's gotta be a horrible accident up there", you'll be thinking wrong, it's just the tunnel that apparently no one in Pittsburgh can maintain the speed limit through it.
    That's why it's north FTW. Ain't nobody got time for that tunnel nonsense.

I used to live in the North Hills right off McKnight Road across from Best Buy. That area is part of the North Hills school district, which was a pretty good school district when I went there as a kid, but I have no idea what kind of shape it's in now. I loved living in that area though, because my morning commute was only a 10 minute drive into downtown during rush hour, or a 25 minute bus ride. The bus system along McKnight road is actually pretty efficient and you don't get many "undesirables" riding them. Atleast not during commuting hours. The commute home was about a 20 minute drive or a 25 minute bus ride. For whatever reason traffic was always worse getting out of the city than driving in. Traffic doesn't affect the buses though because they take the HOV lane which is always empty. If you can find someone to car pool you can take the HOV lane like the buses and your commute will be cut in half.

There's also a nice gun club (Allegheny Rifle Club) just a few miles off of McKnight road with excellent trap facilities that are open to all on the weekends, but the pistol and rifle ranges require membership (or a current member to accompany you).

Hope that helps. In any case good luck in Pittsburgh. People from the crappy part of the state love to talk shit on it, but having been to the majority of the major cities in this country, I can tell you Pittsburgh is definately one of the cleaner and nicer cities around. People I've met in and around Pittsburgh are also a lot more gun friendly than most major cities. And as an added bonus the cost of living in Pittsburgh is dirt cheap. I could have bought a mansion in Pittsburgh for what I just bought my tiny ranch home in Denver for.

(Allegheny County)

Uptown aint that "up"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Subverto View Post
    Traffic doesn't affect the buses though because they take the HOV lane which is always empty. If you can find someone to car pool you can take the HOV lane like the buses and your commute will be cut in half.
    Motorcycles can also travel in the HOV lanes with just one person at any time. You can also use the HOV lane outbound with just one person from 7PM - 5AM M-F and all day on weekends.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/PENNDOT/D...0?OpenDocument

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/penndot/d...hours?OpenForm

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/penndot/d...c_HOV?OpenForm
    Last edited by QuackXP; August 14th, 2014 at 04:51 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

By the way, if your place of business will primarily be downtown, think long and hard before getting a place *EAST* of the Squirrel Hill tunnels. Traffic coming through the tunnel is a headache on good days, and there is some major construction planned in the near future that'll involve shutting down the entire Parkway for a couple of weeks.

I would also steer clear of Oakmont-Fox Chapel. Again, nice place to live, but traffic coming in to downtown from there via PA 28 is a crap sandwich with crap filling, occasionally punctuated by rockslides.

Sq Hill itself is a nice neighborhood, as is Shadyside (but you said you weren't interested in living within the city limits.)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I heard that McKnight road is swallowing cars whole.

OP, stay outta Homewood. Oh and when you're on the highway towards the Squirrel Hill Tunnel and traffic is backed up for miles, and you're thinking "my god, there's gotta be a horrible accident up there", you'll be thinking wrong, it's just the tunnel that apparently no one in Pittsburgh can maintain the speed limit through it.
    That was big new in Da'Burgh yesterday!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast