Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default affordable bear defense handgun

I have a friend who's got a nice plot of land, good for hunting, hiking, etc. In north western md. But the last time I went up there he was having problems with bears. I have a 1911 in .45, but I'm worried about it being strong enough to stop a charging bear. Are there better suited caliber handguns that don't run in the thousand dollar range? I would like a handgun so I can keep it on my hip should the need arise where I have to use it in a hurry, and so I don't have to lug a full rifle or shotgun around if I'm just walking around the trails on a hike.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: affordable bear defense handgun

.45 is plenty in my opinion.
    Your about to get 50 comments of "get a .44 mag" "get a 357"

In reality black bears are not all that big
    A quality .45 bullet travels anywhere from 1100fps to 1300 FPS
    A .44 goes 1400-1600fps
    A .357 goes 1400-1700 fps

1300 FPS is plenty of power to effectively penetrate soft tissue or bone in a bear. Plus you have a faster shooting semi auto that holds more rounds than a high powered revolver. Your 1911 will do just fine with the right ammo

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by tenhoff View Post
    I have a friend who's got a nice plot of land, good for hunting, hiking, etc. In north western md. But the last time I went up there he was having problems with bears. I have a 1911 in .45, but I'm worried about it being strong enough to stop a charging bear. Are there better suited caliber handguns that don't run in the thousand dollar range? I would like a handgun so I can keep it on my hip should the need arise where I have to use it in a hurry, and so I don't have to lug a full rifle or shotgun around if I'm just walking around the trails on a hike.
    Before any other considerations on handguns. Do you have the mysterious unicorn that is the Maryland CCW? If not then all other conjecture is moot because you won't be carrying any handgun in MD legally.

I have suggested bear spray in these threads before and it would make even more sense in a place like MD where legal carry is almost nill. Do some research and you'll find that bear spray is more reliably effective in stopping a bear attack than any handgun that is easily carried especially concealed, ( Open Carry is a "No GO" in MD).

Just my two cents.

(Bucks County)

UDAP.com = bear spray...big cans of bear spray

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Before any other considerations on handguns. Do you have the mysterious unicorn that is the Maryland CCW? If not then all other conjecture is moot because you won't be carrying any handgun in MD legally.

I have suggested bear spray in these threads before and it would make even more sense in a place like MD where legal carry is almost nill. Do some research and you'll find that bear spray is more reliably effective in stopping a bear attack than any handgun that is easily carried especially concealed, ( Open Carry is a "No GO" in MD).

Just my two cents.
    It's on private property, I don't think I need a permit if we're just walking on his land.

(Delaware County)

It's on private property, I don't think I need a permit if we're just walking on his land.
    I think you need to be sure. Gun laws are crazy all over the country. There are websites that can help you get the correct info. If you inadvertently break the law and get caught you will have a different kind of bear to worry about.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Crawford County)

Black bears are push overs in comparison to their cousins...ie grizzly, brown, polar, etc. most will scare to noise or show of force. Bear spray would be a great option, as would your .45.
    Male RN

(Lycoming County)

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/fr...S&tab=subject5

You should read the laws above. MD is nothing like PA. They have Handgun registry and you are required to get a permit to purchase. They are also a must inform state and have Mag limits.

IANAL and am not current on all MD laws, but I seriously doubt bringing any handgun into MD and walking around anywhere with it is a good idea. I would be amazed in fact if it were legal for you to even bring a handgun into MD legally.

(Montgomery County)

As a former resident of the PRM (People's Republic of Maryland), I can confirm handguns outside the home are all but illegal. Do NOT bring a handgun there. It does not matter that you are licensed in PA. In fact, there have been rumors of MD State troopers obtaining license info from certain states and pulling over out of state drivers who are licensed to see if they are illegally carrying. Penalties are SEVERE.

Bear Spray is your answer.
    The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others.

(Carbon County)

This topic seems to really be popping up a lot lately. Bear spray. Period. If you think you need a gun to hike in the woods, stay out of the woods. I used to hunt in western Maryland with a bow on the ground. A lot of us came down the mountain in the dark. Most of us started using flashlights to walk down after dark, but not because of bears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast