Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Canik 55 TP9

(Blair County)

Default Canik 55 TP9

Just purchased a very "slightly" used Canik 55 TP9, like new condition (less than 50 rounds fired so I was told), everything in the case except for the Serpa-like holster (which I wasn't going to use anyhow)... $279.00! Took it all apart and cleaned it.... still had factory grease in places (whoever owned it never cleaned it!). Frog-lubed and ready to head to the range asap. Wanted more of a full sized with at least a 4 inch barrel in case I jump into IDPA.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Canik 55 TP9

Quote Originally Posted by Pastor Ron View Post
    Just purchased a very "slightly" used Canik 55 TP9, like new condition (less than 50 rounds fired so I was told), everything in the case except for the Serpa-like holster (which I wasn't going to use anyhow)... $279.00! Took it all apart and cleaned it.... still had factory grease in places (whoever owned it never cleaned it!). Frog-lubed and ready to head to the range asap. Wanted more of a full sized with at least a 4 inch barrel in case I jump into IDPA.

Good way to get a P99 without the cost of the Walther name. Some say the AS style trigger takes getting used to, and Hickok45 didn't like it. I haven't shot the Canik but the few times I shot a P99 I found it to be a different trigger system but consistent.

Enjoy. I hope you publish your range report.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Northampton County)

The trigger has an almost stage feel to it , it takes a little practice to get used too. Overall it's a good value and an accurate shooter once you get used to the trigger.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Philadelphia County)

So would you guys recomend it?

(Northampton County)

They work well and its an outstanding value. Yes I would have no issues recommending one.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Blair County)

I watched every review I could find and read every written review I could find, over two weeks of research... the only negative I could find was Hickok45 does not like the trigger setup.... he prefers the exact same feel on every trigger press. I did not find a negative review... there are probably some out there but 99% of what I came across was very positive (see TNP, Sootch, Scout Tactical, etc.).

From the fit an finish it is excellent. I have been dry fire practicing for a couple of days (can't get to the range until tomorrow) and I find the trigger easy to adapt to and consistent.

Most of the "big name" reviewers relegate it to a "very good" budget gun. I am on a very limited income, I cannot afford $500 and upwards just to get a gun and then have more expense for all the accessories. I got my TP9 slightly used for $269.00 (two steel mags, holster, extra front sights, nice case) and I just purchased two more mags for $53.00 including shipping). So with tax and fees I have a decent quality, reliable handgun, holster, case, extra sights, and four mags for a little under $350.00. I looked at Glock, XD, etc. and to come out with a similar set up would be $500.00 or more (in my area).

I was looking for a more full-sized hand gun, something I could use in IDPA.

I'll post a range report after Friday.... hopefully.

(Blair County)

My wife, my youngest daughter, and I went to the range this afternoon. Amongst the arsenal we took along was the new Canik 55 TP9! Short report... it ran flawless! 80 rounds, no failures. I did not have issues with the trigger... in fact I really liked the trigger (I did do a good bit of dry fire practice be fore going to the range). It did shoot low and I even have the lowest front sight blade on. I normally hold a six o'clock, I had to hold a 12 o'clock. Since my wife and daughter were with me and we were shooting various handguns I did not take the time to work on the sight issue. My wife shot the Canik, she liked the trigger but did not like the size of the grip (she has small hands). She had some failures due to limp wristing. She generally shoots her .380 Bodyguard, Ruger SR22, and occasionally my Taurus 709... she likes the Canik trigger the best.

80 rounds, FMJ factory, FMJ reloads, Cast reloads... No failures to function.

Next week a trip just to analyze the sight.

I am very pleased with the Canik.