Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: What would you have done?

Quote Originally Posted by LordTobias View Post
    I've experienced way more crazy shit than I care to recall right now in this city (Philadelphia). Believe me, when I'm able to I'm getting the hell out of here. It's a veritable cesspool of some of the worst kinds of people here.

Honestly, some of you wouldn't believe some of the insane shit I've encountered since I was a teen. I'm really, really fortunate I had and still have a great role model in my dad. He taught me well; no matter what happens, keep a clear head and react quickly. I'm not saying I'm perfect and that I always make the best decisions -- I fully understand that being out late at night means there's an increased chance of coming across crazy people, but I do my best to steer clear of trouble.

Anyways. Anyone else have a similar encounter? If so, what happened and how did you react?

I might start a thread to see what kind of training/general experience people have. I'm always curious about that.
    I was making a delivery at 3 am in Miami once with my .38 in the cup holder ready to go. Coming up to the last light where I would turn left, which had just turned red, I saw an individual running from the other side of the intersection towards me. The intersection was clear so I dropped a gear and kept going, just missing the individual with my bumper. He attempted to grab the drivers side mirror but I was going a bit fast and the poor fellow ended up sprawled on the street.

Of course I already had the pistol in my hand and had he gotten a hold of the mirror and pulled himself on the step I was going to shove that gun in his face and give him one last chance to get off. Thankfully everything went the way it did, but I was prepared to do what had to be done.
    Last edited by Defender; August 15th, 2014 at 09:54 PM.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Delaware County)

I should have clarified. My job involves me opening a lot of packages and that sort of stuff, so I typically have it on me for work days. I seem to recall that Philly knife laws allow you to have a blade on your person if it's a "reasonable part of your job." If that isn't the case, that would sure as hell be a good thing to know.
    IIRC, if it's a reasonable part of your job - and you're actually performing that job at the time.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    I was making a delivery at 3 am in Miami once with my .38 in the cup holder ready to go. Coming up to the last light where I would turn left, which had just turned red, I saw an individual running from the other side of the intersection towards me. The intersection was clear so I dropped a gear and kept going, just missing the individual with my bumper. He attempted to grab the drivers side mirror but I was going a bit fast and the poor fellow ended up sprawled on the street.

Of course I already had the pistol in my hand and had he gotten a hold of the mirror and pulled himself on the step I was going to shove that gun in his face and give him one last chance to get off. Thankfully everything went the way it did, but I was prepared to do what had to be done.
    Holy shit that is nuts. Did you notice if he was armed, or just some lunatic doing his best impression of a zombie?

Holy shit that is nuts. Did you notice if he was armed, or just some lunatic doing his best impression of a zombie?

Nope, did not notice if he was armed. Any way you look at it at 3 am in the worst part of Miami I didn't care and I wasn't taking any chances. Someone whom I did not know was running towards me waving and yelling and I didn't think he was coming over to invite me to that afternoons block party.

He'll, another time I had just gotten off the interstate and 2 cars stopped right in front of me. Both drivers popped their trunks and one got out, ran to the other car, got a suitcase out of the trunk, threw it into his trunk and the case that was in his trunk went into the other one, and they both hauled ass it out of there. I was glad when I was able to leave that company and get another job. I had had my fill of beautiful Miami. Oh, and i never saw any cops down there either.
    Last edited by Defender; August 17th, 2014 at 11:03 PM.
    Relationships between men and women can be difficult - but not impossible.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Defender View Post
    Nope, did not notice if he was armed. Any way you look at it at 3 am in the worst part of Miami I didn't care and I wasn't taking any chances. Someone whom I did not know was running towards me waving and yelling and I didn't think he was coming over to invite me to that afternoons block party.

He'll, another time I had just gotten off the interstate and 2 cars stopped right in front of me. Both drivers popped their trunks and one got out, ran to the other car, got a suitcase out of the trunk, threw it into his trunk and the case that was in his trunk went into the other one, and they both hauled ass it out of there. I was glad when I was able to leave that company and get another job. I had had my fill of beautiful Miami. Oh, and i never saw any cops down there either.
    I'm not shocked you saw no police. Sounds to be the norm for most cities these days, eh?

Sounds like you come across a big drug deal. Good thing they didn't give a shit you were there!

(Delaware County)

Yeah, this city is just terrible. I honestly do not feel comfortable being anywhere in this city without a gun and a knife at an absolute minimum. I try hard to avoid places that want to disarm law abiding citizens like the plague because of that.

I'd like to hear more about what happened if you care to share, Hamltnblue. That's definitely a situation none of us want to be stuck in.
    Happened in 96 or 97.
    Was quick and over in just a few minutes. I was at the side entrance stairs talking to the owner. Out of no where 2 young Hispanic teens (no more than 14 or 15) had a shotgun and what looked like a mac-10 pointing at us and herded us into the bar area and told us to get on the floor face down.
    About 8 or so other patrons were in the bar already and told to do the same by 2-4 others that entered from the front entrance. Totally helpless and they could have taken us out quickly if they wanted. They took everyone's wallet and emptied the register and ran out.
    Cops came what seemed an eternity later and took our info. We never heard of anyone being caught or if the cops even pursued it.

Having a weapon would have done absolutely in that situation because I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings. That's the most important lesson I took out of it. Always try to be as aware as possible of your surroundings and those around you. Only then will you be able to defend yourself if something happens.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamltnblue View Post
    Happened in 96 or 97.
    Was quick and over in just a few minutes. I was at the side entrance stairs talking to the owner. Out of no where 2 young Hispanic teens (no more than 14 or 15) had a shotgun and what looked like a mac-10 pointing at us and herded us into the bar area and told us to get on the floor face down.
    About 8 or so other patrons were in the bar already and told to do the same by 2-4 others that entered from the front entrance. Totally helpless and they could have taken us out quickly if they wanted. They took everyone's wallet and emptied the register and ran out.
    Cops came what seemed an eternity later and took our info. We never heard of anyone being caught or if the cops even pursued it.

Having a weapon would have done absolutely in that situation because I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings. That's the most important lesson I took out of it. Always try to be as aware as possible of your surroundings and those around you. Only then will you be able to defend yourself if something happens.
    Holy shit, man. That's not a good position to be in. You're absolutely right, too: awareness is more important than anything else. Teenagers that organized robbing a business sounds awfully like a street gang. I'll bet the cops just ignored that one, unfortunately.

(Philadelphia County)

I'd like to hear more if anyone else has stories they'd like to share!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345