Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: "Tactical" Shooting in Bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick303 View Post
    Board member of a local club. Just thought I might explain why the local Bucks ranges tend to restrict the “tactical” shooting crowd. It is not because we want to restrict folks fun, but because of safety, liability and range damage issues.

If you look at the safety fan of the local ranges, be it Langhorne, BCF&G, Branch Valley, Wiccan’s, Delaware Valley and Paletown rod and gun, you will note they do not have a large amount of space behind their ranges that would allow for a bullet that is fired off of the range. There simply is not that much land available in Bucks or most of Montgomery county. In all cases the club depends on the shooter placing their rounds in the target butt area. An inadvertent discharge in the wrong direction has the possibility of closing down the club.

This is not just a hypothetical. Wiccans had a chap accidently launched a 7.62x39 grain bullet in the air which ended up in a child’s bedroom down range. Not the ranges fault, but it nearly closed the range down and involved a lot of changes being made to the range and what shooting positions were allowed after that. Every local range lives in fear that one accidental discharge will end up closing the club.

The problem is not only related to rounds going off range. If a chap shoots himself on a range, he might sue. If a fellow shoots someone else on a range, he will possibly sue the range. So the range rules have to be set up so that there is no unsafe act allowed, especially when viewed from a hostile court.

Lastly and least importantly is the damage to the range. Shots that are not directly targeted into the target area can do damage to the range, such as shooting up the wooden supports, firing into safety baffles (what they are there for but the more shots put into them the sooner they have to be rebuilt, at considerable expense). Upright supports can be a real pain to replace when they are shot out.

That is why drawing from a holster is banned at many ranges, transition shooting, fire and movement and last but not least, limits on the rate of fire. Simple reality of where we live.
    This is a good post. We frequently see posts where people ask why there aren't ranges that allow 3-gun, rapid fire, 1,000 yard shooting etc.

Safety is so important and with the litigious society we live in, very few are willing to take the risk. Add to that, there will always be knuckleheads who do stupid things on the range, and it's even more problematic.

Everyone will say "I'm responsible, and I would never shoot over the berm or violate safety rules" and that may well be true, but in any large group, there will always be that one guy/maybe gal who just doesn't get it.

Look at some of these Open Carry jackasses as an example.

(Bucks County)

along these lines, is there a range in the bucks/mont area where I can shoot a rifle standing up?

(my only real beef with Wicen's)
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
    along these lines, is there a range in the bucks/mont area where I can shoot a rifle standing up?

(my only real beef with Wicen's)
    Pretty much any range except Wicen's.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by virus22x View Post
    so most ranges make me feel claustrophobic ( i now its for safety, but a 18" lane isn't too comfortable"
    i don't need to do ninja rolls and then shoot, but some elbow room would be nice,

but im looking for a range in bucks that allows a little but of movement when shooting, i.e. engaging multiple targets,

so any ranges in bucks that can help me out?
    please exclude any ranges that require membership "service" i have a crazy work schedule that really doesn't allow me to spare a Saturday or week night

thanks for your help!!!!
    I don't know about actually in Bucks county, but I took an awesome class in Philadelphia at a very cool place called " The gun range" it involved VERY dynamic shooting in front of the firing line at 3d (plastic) targets and other very cool stuff. It was given by a highly qualified Israeli military guy, his company is called Magen Tactical Defence. It is everything you want and more and is ongoing. Obviously you can see I had a great time :-)
    Here is the website magentacticaldefence.com his name is Chanan Smith he is very cool.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123