Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: "Tactical" Shooting in Bucks?

As a member of langhorne, you can shoot from any position you want. Kneeling, prone, off hand or bench as long as you are on the common firing line. I can say that Practical rifle is a great time, is normally quick with not much lag time and it gives you the chance to shoot ahead of the firing line at different targets in different situations. There is a match this weekend, if you are unsure, I would encourage you to come out and see what it's all about. This match requires preregistration due to it's popularity, but observing before you try to shoot it isn't a bad idea. I will be there as well as many other friendly people from the program and club that would be willing to answer any questions you many have.

Adam K.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyKrzyz View Post
    As a member of langhorne, you can shoot from any position you want. Kneeling, prone, off hand or bench as long as you are on the common firing line. I can say that Practical rifle is a great time
    LRGC is about par for SE PA outdoor ranges. You can shoot from positions, you can probably even drag a chair in front of you and pretend it's a barricade. But you can't really move left or right much and not at all ahead of the firing line. No rifle-pistol transition. I have the same problem -- a lot of things learned in classes and no place to practice them.

If people can afford the time, matches are the best way to practice useful things.

Your best bet is to try to get a membership at New Holland.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Bucks County)

Langhorne GC membership chairman announced (Thursday Nov 6th 2014) at last night's meeting that membership waiting list is at a 6 months wait.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by virus22x View Post
    what about any state game land that i can target shoot on?
    Nope. At approved Ranges only, with lots of restrictions.

Sorry to say, you live East of the Mississippi. We don't have the access to open land that shooters from, say, Arizona have.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Langhorne GC membership chairman announced (Thursday Nov 6th 2014) at last night's meeting that membership waiting list is at a 6 months wait.
    over a year but i have not asked anyone to sponsor, the only thing i loose is shoot when you want

(Bucks County)

I have access to a privately owned range in Susquehanna County, about 2.5 hours north of Bucks. It's a phenomenal set up for working on just about any type of dynamic shooting exercises you'd like. I use steel targets, paper stands, explosive/reactives, etc. I have spent countless 6-8 hour days there just drilling weapons transitions, firing on the move, multiple target engagement, speed vs. accuracy, malfunction clearing, etc.

If anyone is interested in making the drive, shoot me a PM and I will give you the details, as well as contact information for the owner.

I am up there a few times a month, as my family has property about a mile from the range. If anyone is interested in organizing a group outing one weekend, let me know and we can get something in the works.

- Dave

(Bucks County)

Board member of a local club. Just thought I might explain why the local Bucks ranges tend to restrict the “tactical” shooting crowd. It is not because we want to restrict folks fun, but because of safety, liability and range damage issues.

If you look at the safety fan of the local ranges, be it Langhorne, BCF&G, Branch Valley, Wiccan’s, Delaware Valley and Paletown rod and gun, you will note they do not have a large amount of space behind their ranges that would allow for a bullet that is fired off of the range. There simply is not that much land available in Bucks or most of Montgomery county. In all cases the club depends on the shooter placing their rounds in the target butt area. An inadvertent discharge in the wrong direction has the possibility of closing down the club.

This is not just a hypothetical. Wiccans had a chap accidently launched a 7.62x39 grain bullet in the air which ended up in a child’s bedroom down range. Not the ranges fault, but it nearly closed the range down and involved a lot of changes being made to the range and what shooting positions were allowed after that. Every local range lives in fear that one accidental discharge will end up closing the club.

The problem is not only related to rounds going off range. If a chap shoots himself on a range, he might sue. If a fellow shoots someone else on a range, he will possibly sue the range. So the range rules have to be set up so that there is no unsafe act allowed, especially when viewed from a hostile court.

Lastly and least importantly is the damage to the range. Shots that are not directly targeted into the target area can do damage to the range, such as shooting up the wooden supports, firing into safety baffles (what they are there for but the more shots put into them the sooner they have to be rebuilt, at considerable expense). Upright supports can be a real pain to replace when they are shot out.

That is why drawing from a holster is banned at many ranges, transition shooting, fire and movement and last but not least, limits on the rate of fire. Simple reality of where we live.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick303 View Post
    Wiccans had a chap accidently launched a 7.62x39 grain bullet in the air which ended up in a child’s bedroom down range.
    Is that like "Wicens" for witches?

Autocorrect strikes again?

(Berks County)

It's in Berks, but Topton Fish & Game has plenty of room on the ranges to do this sort of training. They also have a full competition schedule for the multi-gun people - they're doing a sister match series with New Holland as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast