Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Original Glock had no trigger safety?

Both of my sons insist that Glock's first guns had no trigger safety and that Glock got into legal trouble with the gun going off too easily and they added the trigger bar.

I never knew the new plastic guns that could defeat metal detecting equipment had safety issues. Can't find any prototype or 1st gen examples (online) of Glocks sans trigger safety. I think they are parroting an urban legend.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Original Glock had no trigger safety?

I think that it is urban legend. Good Luck trying to convince a teen that they are wrong. I have been a fan of glocks since I read about them in 1984. At the time it had the safety. My friend bought one of the first available in this country in a glock 17 gen 1 (which I found to be too big for my hands). He is an engineer and loved how the safety worked. He would explain it to everyone who asked how it works.

Glock Timeline
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

(Lancaster County)

Everyone knows it was the Porcelain Glock 7 that was undetectable.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Clearfield County)

Considering that originally they were military, not commercial guns, I don't see how they would have gotten into legal trouble

(Franklin County)

The only problem the original Glocks had was the serial number. The first ones they tried to import had the serial number embossed in the plastic and the ATF or customs or someone said it needed to be embossed on a metal plate.

(Philadelphia County)

The earliest Glock patents I looked at via Google

www.google.com/patents

don't appear to have the trigger safety in them. So maybe there were some original prototypes without it. I'm not aware of any commercial production of Glocks without that device though.

(Philadelphia County)

The original case that came with the gun had a post that went through the trigger guard. When people kept their guns loaded, placed them back in the box and the box would jostle around, a round could go off. They took some heat for that in the beginning.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by hawkinsje View Post
    The original case that came with the gun had a post that went through the trigger guard. When people kept their guns loaded, placed them back in the box and the box would jostle around, a round could go off. They took some heat for that in the beginning.
    I don't think Gaston created the box. Not perfection. My glock 19 gen 2 came with that box. I remember the LGS employee telling me not to keep a loaded glock in the box.
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by elweasel View Post
    I don't think Gaston created the box. Not perfection. My glock 19 gen 2 came with that box. I remember the LGS employee telling me not to keep a loaded glock in the box.
    Congratulations on the Gen2 G19. I've got a Gen2 G19 myself that I bought new in 1990. I took a lot of crap from my friends over buying a plastic gun.
    "It's going to melt", "it's going to blow apart in your hand", "plastic will never catch on", "it's a throw away gun", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Congratulations on the Gen2 G19. I've got a Gen2 G19 myself that I bought new in 1990. I took a lot of crap from my friends over buying a plastic gun.
    "It's going to melt", "it's going to blow apart in your hand", "plastic will never catch on", "it's a throw away gun", etc.
    Glocks are tough. I had a squibb in mine and just thought my gun jammed. The round was actually stuck half way down the barrel. I chambered another round and fired. It blew out the squibb. My barrel had a bulge in the center with stress cracks and it broke my slide stop spring. That's it. I replaced the barrel and slide stop and it's like new. I have well over 20k rounds through this gun and it has never had a feed problem of any kind unless I was playing with a new powder charge for my reloads. I'm glad that happened, I'm way more careful with my reloading now.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast