Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Non-resident CC permit

Currently PA does not recognize Al CC permit. What steps are required in order to obtain a PA non-resident CC permit? My brother lives in State College, Centre County, do I use his address as mailing address? Thanks for advice.

Default Re: Non-resident CC permit

A non resident must have a license from his home state, if it issues them and must appear in person to apply and maybe again to pick it up depending on the sheriff.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    A non resident must have a license from his home state, if it issues them and must appear in person to apply and maybe again to pick it up depending on the sheriff.

^In addition to the above, as a non-resident you can apply in any county you choose, whereas we residents are required to apply in our county of residence.

So find the one that works best for you. Many county Sheriffs will allow you to make your application by mail, ahead of time, then pick it up in person when ready. So if you're planning a trip to PA to visit your brother you can arrange things ahead of time.

The Sheriff of Centre County does have a reputation for being very accommodating for both residents and non-residents.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Thanks. I may have to contact the sheriff dept to submit by mail then drive up to pick-up. Interesting enough, I can transport and use my suppressed SBR in PA, Form 20 complete but can't carry concealed. While here in Alabama you need a permit to carry concealed but not to open carry. In your vehicle you can't open carry without a permit but can with.

(Bucks County)

I just sent a follow up email to the PA AG's office. I contacted them a year ago July and informed them that AL would begin honoring all other States' permits and that should move them to a reciprocal spot on PA's list. They informed me then that they would look into the new law.

I'll post any update I receive.

(Bucks County)

Reply from PA AG office regarding AL:

This will acknowledge receipt of your recent e-mail to the Attorney General of Pennsylvania. We appreciate your concerns.

At this time, Alabama's concealed carry laws are not compatible with Pennsylvania's laws.

Sincerely yours,

Robert A. Mulle
    Chief Deputy Attorney General
    Legal Review Section

Standard generic answer. I really wish they would be more specific on HOW they are not compatible.

(Delaware County)

I'll tell you how they're not compatible. Alabama is a Red state. PA is a Blue state.

Quote Originally Posted by JackShooter98 View Post
    Thanks. I may have to contact the sheriff dept to submit by mail then drive up to pick-up.
    Waste of effort.

I was in the Centre County sheriff's office just a couple of weeks ago to renew. When I walked in, there were two people ahead of me. They turned out to be a man and wife from New York state. They had driven from wherever they live (IIRC they said 45 minutes north of I-84 and about midway between the PA and CT borders) -- took them 4 hours. They were BOTH in and out within half an hour. They commented to the young lady behind the window how painless the process was, and she replied "We do our best to make it easy for you."

The sheriff's office is in Bellefonte, not State Collage, but that's only a few miles difference. When you walk in, there's a stack of application forms to your left, on a table. Grab one, fill it out, hand it in with your driver's license and home state permit (if applicable), the young lady will take your photo, and approximately five minutes later you'll have a shiny new PA LTCF.

Do NOT use your brother's address, unless that's where you live. That would be fraudulent. Use your own address -- that's why you're applying for a NON-resident license.