Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Walther PPK

Default New Walther PPK

I just acquired a new Walther PPK (by Smith & Wesson) in stainless finish. .380 acp.

I needed a 'pocket-able' firearm that was not so small that it would be unpleasant to shoot that was also durable enough to hand down to my grand-kids if I so choose.

I like the fact that it has 6+1 capacity in a package roughly the size and weight of a steel J-frame. The design certainly has considerable historical significance as well.

I like the ergos, it carries VERY WELL in a galco pocket holster in the front pocket of summer shorts. On the hip, in an OWB holster, it feels like a cell-phone it's so small and handy. The double-action trigger is heavy, but it's not long. I'm fine with that, since I'm used to shooting double-action revolvers. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is how the de-cocker 'slams' the hammer down. I've decided when de-cocking this pistol, I will make it a habit to ease the hammer down while depressing the de-cock lever so it does not slam down.

This is my first PPK. For those who have/had this version: any advice or thoughts? What ammo works, peculiarities to watch for, etc?

thanks.
    Last edited by American1776; August 5th, 2014 at 05:30 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: New Walther PPK

Its a ppk/s isn't it? It's a classy gun. A little heavy. Nice machining work. I read that S&W had problems at he start. I figure you waited long enough it should be a good one. Get a holster it will carry better on your belt than in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Its a ppk/s isn't it? It's a classy gun. A little heavy. Nice machining work. I read that S&W had problems at he start. I figure you waited long enough it should be a good one. Get a holster it will carry better on your belt than in your pocket.
    Thanks for the input. This one is the 'standard' PPK. The PPK/S is the model with the frame of the PP and the slide/barrel of the PPK.

I have a Bianchi thumb break holster, and it carries really well on the hip. I like the option of pocket carry, but you're right, the hip holster feels good.

(Centre County)

Check your fired brass.

My Walther/S&W PPK shot great, but brass came out looking like this.

According to S&W, chamber was out of spec, and they installed new barrel.
    Then I sold it(it was no fun to shoot, and was small, but still too heavy for pocket carry)

Cool classy little gun, it was. I hated the bulky "tang" on the back tho. that thing tear my hand up in no time. Is S&W wanted to improve, they could have rounded that a bit

I bought LCP, and never looked back
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    Check your fired brass.

My Walther/S&W PPK shot great, but brass came out looking like this.

According to S&W, chamber was out of spec, and they installed new barrel.
    Then I sold it(it was no fun to shoot, and was small, but still too heavy for pocket carry)

Cool classy little gun, it was. I hated the bulky "tang" on the back tho. that thing tear my hand up in no time. Is S&W wanted to improve, they could have rounded that a bit

I bought LCP, and never looked back
    Thanks for that. those casings look scary. I'll be sure to check the brass.

For me, the heft of the little PPK is more of a plus rather than a negative. I prefer all-metal guns (just my preference). I was looking at the LCP, the dealer was really recommending it as a pocket gun, but I just wasn't crazy about how tiny the grip felt in my hand.

The PPK will be my 'carry in any situation' gun. And while the LCP would be more convenient, I cannot imagine a situation in which I couldn't carry the PPK but could carry the LCP.

It fits in my pocket without printing, that's good enough for me.

Glad you like your LCP though; they have a strong following.

Just curious, how much did the PPK cost you?

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee CO View Post
    Just curious, how much did the PPK cost you?
    I did a trade, so I didn't pay the full price out of pocket. But around here, NIB Walther PPK runs a little over 600.

I was also looking at the Sig P232 in Stainless and that thing was north of 800!! I couldn't justify that much for a 380 blow-back pistol.

(Butler County)

It's really tragic how so many of the "classy" guns intended for 007-like concealed carry are really not anywhere near as suited for it as much less classy guns like KelTec, Taurus and Ruger.

Smith & Wesson makes some real nice featherweights, though. Classy and totally concealable. I guess that's how they justify their prices.

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    It's really tragic how so many of the "classy" guns intended for 007-like concealed carry are really not anywhere near as suited for it as much less classy guns like KelTec, Taurus and Ruger.

Smith & Wesson makes some real nice featherweights, though. Classy and totally concealable. I guess that's how they justify their prices.
    I agree with you on a lot of what you say here.

Keep in mind though, everything (at least here) is relative. Relative to the 1930's, the PPK was a pretty ground breaking design in a very small package. Most pocket sized pistols were in lesser cartridges and were not nearly as reliable, and most serious pistols were bigger and heavier.

Relative to contemporary polymer pocket-pistol designs, the PPK is large and heavy. But that is only when we compare the PPK to other designs.

I think all metal guns are becoming very expensive in general. I also think that some gun companies are 'coasting' on their name brand. I won't name any names, but we have aluminum framed guns going for over 1,000 dollars. We have revolvers with MIM parts and 'lacking' fit and finish going for 800 dollars plus. And then we have a polymer ruger SR9 that can be had for under 500 bucks.

The PPK, for me, carries wonderfully in a pocket holster or on the hip.

(Bucks County)

This is my PPK. (well same model and version) Interarms

I bought about 25 years ago and it was my second handgun purchased. I like the all steel construction. Heavy enough to pistol whip someone when you need to. I also like the round indicator. And you can use it in the dark to tell if there is a round present. If the decocker bothers you just hold your thumb over the hammer and let it down easy. But it does not hurt the pistol if it slams down. It was designed that way. At least with mine it has made any difference. The biggest update I have done to it was to frog lube the whole thing. It cost me IIRC $385 otd. Another thing I liked was the molded plastic box. No locks just a big tab to open the box. Plus I have the original range test target.

Biggest difference is the tang under the hammer. I guess too many people were getting nicked while firing.
    Last edited by elweasel; August 6th, 2014 at 09:06 PM. Reason: more info
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast