Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Kimber Micro carry or Sig P238

Hi guys,

I need some input. I recently handled both the Sig 238 and the Kimber Micro carry in .380 I liked both, and am interested in retiring my Kel-Tec P32 for a caliber I can actually find (I'm bummed because I have several .32's that I like, but .380 is the more popular caliber ...) I have Glocks, but do not like how the new 42 fits my hand. I am very comfortable with 1911 controls, and liked both pistols. The Sig had night sights, and the Kimber was stainless on an aluminum frame... I'm torn. Also, I don't know how to make this thread into a poll - that would be cool. Any input on either would would be fantastic ! Thanks in advance .

Cb
    p.s. They were the same price...
    Last edited by solrac7; August 5th, 2014 at 08:01 AM. Reason: price

Default Re: Kimber Micro carry or Sig P238

We have a P238 Scorpion and both of us love it. The single action trigger is one thing that we like. Carries nice, never notice the weight.
    No contest at our house. Sig P238.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Lancaster County)

.380 is still hard to find compared to 9mm or larger, but it is out there, more than .32.

I am a devoted SIG fan so I vote for the P238. I own one and it is easy to carry in any pocket, IWB or even on an ankle holster. There have been reviews with photos showing the P238 next to the Glock and the Glock is physically larger and if memory is correct, heavier. If you are considering anything as large as the Glock, at least look at the SIG P938 in 9mm. They do have a .22 version out also.

The Glock according to some forums has issues with the ammo it will reliably feed. The P938 has had some issues for some users but with the large number of them out there, even if it was at a .1% trouble rate, you would see more postings than other brands. The P938 is the second highest selling SIG right now with the P238 the highest selling gun they have according to various reports, data reportedly coming from SIG itself.

(Berks County)

Big jump in quality from the Kel Tec to the Sig or Kimber I'm sure, but also a big jump in size, weight & price (and complexity). What about a Kel Tec P3AT?

(Lancaster County)

Agreed, big jump in quality. I find the P238 very accurate also.

(Philadelphia County)

I'd pass on the problematic Kimber Micro.

The SIG 238 is nice, if you want a .380 cap gun.

I suggest the SIG 938-9mm, with some 147gr. rounds.
    A known man-stopper round, and one hell of a reliable pistol.

(Delaware County)

From my own research, Kimber's quality control, fit and finish, and reliability are somewhat hit and miss. Now, if you're just purchasing it as a flashy range pistol, that may not be a huge concern. But if the firearm is intended to be a daily carry piece, "hit and miss reliability" is unacceptable: if I'm entrusting my life to it, I need to know that it will fire, eject, cycle, and chamber a new round, without fail, every time I pull the trigger.

SIG, on the other hand, is a company I trust. The Navy uses the P226 Mk. 25, the PSP just switched from Glocks to the P227, and I believe that certain federal agencies allow agents to choose the P228/P229 as their issued sidearm. And for what it's worth, I personally own a P226, and I have seen it perform flawlessly with everything from cheap steel ammo all the way up to fancy JHPs; from 115-gr. to 147-gr.; in both standard and NATO (+P) loads.

So if you gave me the choice between carrying a Kimber 1911 and a SIG P238, I would take the SIG P238.

...actually, I'd take the SIG P938. Same handgun, only a tiny bit larger, but in 9x19mm.

Both Sig and Kimber make fine pistols both mechanically and with their final fit and finish. With either the SIG or Kimber you would have to be comfortable carrying it cocked and locked in your pocket and that's something I personally am not a huge fan of, however I realize that it's something thousands of people do every day.

I don't know if you have checked the other pistols in their category but I would defiantly give the Kahr p380 a once or twice over. I would rate it better then both the SIG and Kimber in this class of pistol in just about every way. The price tag is up there but no more then the Sig. It has the best DAO trigger pull on any pocket .380 pistol there is. The pistol is a little work of art and next time I am in the market for see one on sale it will be added to my collection.
    Last edited by Hodgie; August 5th, 2014 at 01:15 PM.

the PSP just switched from Glocks to the P227, and I believe that certain federal agencies allow agents to choose the P228/P229 as their issued sidearm.
    These decisions typically have little or nothing to do with quality or reliability issues of the said brand and more to do with how cheap of a contract they can get from all competing companies. The Glocks the PSP were carrying were not prone to any type of failure or quality issues they will be sold back to Glock and then be released to the public for sale and run thousands of rounds with no issues.

Another fine example proving this is just more BS is the Marine Corps decision to go back to the Springfield 1911 and having a custom 1911 produced at 2-3k a pop over using the M9. Want an upgrade in caliber great, want to go to the .45 great! Want to go back to a single stack custom built 1911 that was designed over 100 years ago...WHAT?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    These decisions typically have little or nothing to do with quality or reliability issues of the said brand and more to do with how cheap of a contract they can get from all competing companies. The Glocks the PSP were carrying were not prone to any type of failure or quality issues they will be sold back to Glock and then be released to the public for sale and run thousands of rounds with no issues.
    Actually the change by the PSP is exactly because of repeated problems with the Glocks.

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/250...glock-psp.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast