Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Open carry - in Richmond VA!

Greetings all

I have been in Richmond for the past couple of days for a convention associated with my profession. I am mildly well known in that profession, having produced a few instructional videos coupled with teaching and demonstrating. So last night, after checking into convention center, I was invited by a group of people I knew to go to dinner. I had been CCing up to this point, since it is not worth the trouble of running afoul of some of the fruits and nuts who run the organization. But once the checkout stuff was done...

I was invited to the Capitol Alehouse, which is essentially a brewpub. VA law says that if an establishment derives more than 50% of its revenue from alcohol, anyone carrying a gun must do so openly. So off came my cover shirt (I was prepared for this eventuality) and I spoke to the one man I was with just to let him know what was going on, and the legality of what I was doing. He, as well as most of the crowd I was with, was from the People's Republic of NJ. He was fine with the whole thing, and even more, was very interested in the laws and how things worked between various states (and commonwealths).

Sitting at the table behind us was a group of people from the Lehigh Valley, all friends and associates of mine. I got some very good natured ribbing from them, as well as some questions as to what I was carrying specifically. Two of the five have a LTCF, but rarely use it. We were there for quite some time, since the service was very slow. I had ample opportunity to talk with people who were there for our convention, people who were local and interested in the stuff we do, and employees of the restaurant. There were a few wide eyes, but everyone was cool, and no cops showed up. No one hassled me beyond my friends giving me some good natured ribbing (which was only to be expected, since I give it out any chance I get), and we left the pub to stroll back to the convention center. Numerous other groups passed us in different directions, and the cops went by twice. No problems at all.

During the convention today, I CC'd just for business reasons. I had numerous conversations, all positive but one, from an acquaintance local to me. He said in a loud voice as he came down the way:

"I see you didn't bring your gun with you today."

"That's right Ed, you don't see it." (on several levels, I thought to myself)

He didn't see it because "it" was my Kel Tec single stack PF-9 in a DeSantis Nemesis, riding tucked away in my front pocket. But I had lots of educational opportunities with people from PA and NJ. All except my "buddy" Ed were very positive.

Tonight a group of people consisting of some of last night's group and a few extras took me to the Marriott Hotel for dinner. Same situation again, so I returned to my truck, locked up the Kel Tec and strapped on the Sig. Tonight two of the guys in the group were retired PA cops, one from Pittsburgh and one from Philly. Both were fine with me, although I think a lot of it had to do with my reputation and my acquaintance with both of them. But once again it was a very quiet night - except for lots of funny stories and laughter - and while several people on the hotel staff, including the manager, got an eyeful of my Sig Sauer in bright lights in the lobby, no one so much as blinked. No cops came, no one screamed, and we had many more stories of guns and shooting traded over dinner and afterwards.

Overall it has been a lot of fun, and a real assertion of my rights in another place far from PA. Additional places include several gas stations, my hotel, a convenience store where I was in a real bad section of town and was glad to have it on, and a grocery store. Several people of a different ethnic group than my own made as if to approach me, but changed their minds as I was walking back to my truck. There were a few glances and mutterings as they walked away, and once again I was glad it was in the open. So far there have been no robberies in the area, and no one has "shot me first", as evidenced by this post.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Open carry - in Richmond VA!

You thinking of staying?

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

I do have a lot of Johnny Reb in my blood, but it's way too hot most of the year around here. Besides that, the quality of wood in PA is so much better.

(Monroe County)

Have fun down yonder my friend

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Delaware County)

VA is very OC friendly. The guys and gals from VCDL 'plowed the road' for us down there.

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    VA law says that if an establishment derives more than 50% of its revenue from alcohol, anyone carrying a gun must do so openly.
    Nope - where did this 50% thing come up?!

In Virginia, open carry is required in any restaurant or club licensed to serve alcohol for on-premises consumption. 18.2-308(J3). The establishment need not post this fact nor be actually serving alcohol.

There are exceptions for law eforcement officers and now, thanks to Gov, Kaine, Commonweath Attornies fresh ot of law schol who never handled a gun in their life.

My mistake. I must have read something wrong. At any rate, I was OC, so I was fine.

(Monroe County)

I finally saw someone OCing down here. I made sure to make it a pos experience.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff