Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default RUGER LCP Newbie Field Strip Question

Hey Everyone
    Good to be here. My LCP is my first firearm at age 67. I love it and had a great experience at the Heritage Guild Range over the weekend. A friend who is a firearm enthusiast helped me field strip and clean my LCP. We did it a few times and I attempted to pop out the pin but wasn't successful. He did with ease and used a cloth to protect the slide but apparently the edge of the slide under the LCP logo had the blue black finish marred and silver glints can be seen. Being oh so fussy, I'm not loving that! This firearm is the RUGER LCP with the Crimson Trace Laser. I just ordered a Presto Gun Blue pen (black) fine point from Cabela's that got great reviews. Do you think this will do the trick in concealing the marred finish? Any helpful hints? My personal take would be next time something flat thin and flexible to be slid under the bolt to protect the slide and a Jeweler's screwdriver or just the corner of a regular one. Sorry for typos. Am on mobile.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: RUGER LCP Newbie Field Strip Question

Those pens never seem to work that great, but will cover the "silver" finish and help it blend in...

just use a dental pic or a small flat screw driver to get in there carefully, mine has been popped in and out so much now i can just get the edge of my finger nail in there and pop it out...

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was thinking was needed-my eyeglass kit flat head screwdriver. It's really more just the edge of the slide that has the small scratches that went through the finish. I've read a few reviews that stated the Presto pen caused rust. Hmmm. I'm applying a nice coat of oil to the slide nightly (after calling Ruger-they suggested this maintenance) and maybe I'll forgo the pen touch up.

Birchwood Casey Super Blue would touch it up. Then soak the touched up spot with oil overnight.

I use the tip of my knife to pop the pin out. You can pull the pin out a lot easier if you push the slide back (push at the muzzle) about 3/16". This takes the pressure off the takedown pin.

(Franklin County)

I use an ink pen.
    I place the tip of the ink pen in the slide lock groove and hold a little pressure pushing forward on the ink pen, then push the slide back 3/8" or so. As the slide goes back you will see that the slide lock groove tapers down, this will actually force the tip of the ink pen under the head of the take down pin. At that point you can just pry on the ink pen a bit and it'll pop the take down pin right out.

As for the scratch, I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you carry it, that won't be the last little booger on it. Guns are like cars, the first scratch really sucks but they get easier to absorb the more you get.
    Last edited by ray h; August 4th, 2014 at 08:59 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Birchwood Casey Super Blue would touch it up. Then soak the touched up spot with oil overnight.

I use the tip of my knife to pop the pin out. You can pull the pin out a lot easier if you push the slide back (push at the muzzle) about 3/16". This takes the pressure off the takedown pin.
    ahhh this is how i take my down, but its not natural i forgot to mention it when using my edge of fingernail to take it down...

DKF's advice should be followed...rep inbound!

I forgot to mention that you can get rusting from cold blueing like the Super Blue I mentioned because it consists of several different acids to turn the steel blue. The directions tell you to neutralize the acid with water and wipe dry. Then you coat it with oil and let sit for a while. Follow the directions.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    I forgot to mention that you can get rusting from cold blueing like the Super Blue I mentioned because it consists of several different acids to turn the steel blue. The directions tell you to neutralize the acid with water and wipe dry. Then you coat it with oil and let sit for a while. Follow the directions.
    Ah, that scared me a bit. I read a few reviews that mentioned the rusting. Time to relax about it, I think. They're not THAT bad if you don't scrutinize the thing. Thanks for the tip.

(Allegheny County)

I have used the edge of an empty magazine more than once to pop the pin out. That or a pocket knife.

Sorry i cant help with the finish question. But daily pocket carry of mine shows some noticeable wear.

For me its a carry firearm I would not bother with it unless it rusts.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    I use an ink pen.
    I place the tip of the ink pen in the slide lock groove and hold a little pressure pushing forward on the ink pen, then push the slide back 3/8" or so. As the slide goes back you will see that the slide lock groove tapers down, this will actually force the tip of the ink pen under the head of the take down pin. At that point you can just pry on the ink pen a bit and it'll pop the take down pin right out.

As for the scratch, I wouldn't worry too much about it, if you carry it, that won't be the last little booger on it. Guns are like cars, the first scratch really sucks but they get easier to absorb the more you get.
    That's the truth.
    Now after the big "tragedy," I'm seeing lots of ideas. How about using a credit card corner or a guitar pick? I'm not sure why Ruger shows a screwdriver in its video. Granted, it's a simple task but easily mangled with a standard screw driver. A plastic, non-damaging tool could also have been included to accomplish this task. Lesson learned. Watch less You Tube, Read more forum topics.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast