Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default G19 Missing Slide Lock

It seems I have lost the slide lock for my wife's Gen 4 G19. I'm assuming it was after cleaning it some time back. Getting a new one is easy enough and putting it in seems straight forward but what I can't determine is can the gun be safely fired without the slide lock?

Just so we're clear, I'm talking about the part that is pulled down so the slide can be removed from the frame.

The greater issue is that we have recently had a problem with a local fellow who's head is NOT screwed on correctly. The police are aware, the guy is on their radar and we're letting things take their lawful course. But that doesn't mean the guy will follow normal protocol or civility. So we got her gun out of the safe for some practice. And found the slide lock missing. She prefers her gun over mine, a S&W 9VE. For now she's keeping the VE close but we need her's to run correctly since she's more comfortable with it.

Unfortunately she can't use the shotgun due to shoulder problems so it's the 9 for now.

Anyway....anyone have anything to clear up the question? For now I'm going with the theory that a missing part is bad.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

Default Re: G19 Missing Slide Lock

Ok, first, the slide lock is the lever that you push down with your thumb on the left side of the gun to release the slide and send it into battery. You can probably fire the gun without it, but the slide won't lock open on an empty magazine. The trigger pin might walk out under recoil too, since the tension is held in part by the slide stop lever.

You might mean the takedown lever, which are the two tabs on both sides of the frame directly above the trigger. If that is missing, do NOT fire the gun because the slide will go flying off the front like a rocket when it returns to battery under recoil. The gun cannot stay assembled without that takedown lever.

Now for part 2, who is the shady guy? A gunsmith? Some guy that got a hold of it and removed the part?

(Allegheny County)

I can't answer about the part, but if hard pressed, I wouldn't dismiss the option of shooting the shotgun "from the hip".

Less than ideal defense is better than no defense.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by G17-5291 View Post
    Ok, first, the slide lock is the lever that you push down with your thumb on the left side of the gun to release the slide and send it into battery. You can probably fire the gun without it, but the slide won't lock open on an empty magazine. The trigger pin might walk out under recoil too, since the tension is held in part by the slide stop lever.

You might mean the takedown lever, which are the two tabs on both sides of the frame directly above the trigger. If that is missing, do NOT fire the gun because the slide will go flying off the front like a rocket when it returns to battery under recoil. The gun cannot stay assembled without that takedown lever.

Now for part 2, who is the shady guy? A gunsmith? Some guy that got a hold of it and removed the part?
    No, first of all, it's not...

Common error.
    Last edited by Emptymag; August 3rd, 2014 at 04:17 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I can't answer about the part, but if hard pressed, I wouldn't dismiss the option of shooting the shotgun "from the hip".

Less than ideal defense is better than no defense.
    Yeah, no problem there.....a sore arm beats a slit throat everytime. But the whole issue of fear will be in play and fearing the tool meant to save you is a negative. She wants the pistol and of course I want her comfortable with the tool. She's up for the shotgun if need be, there are several placed in several spots. I did discover that an 870 with wood furniture blends in very well with a stack of pool cues.

Well EM beat me to it but I used the Midway schematic to identify the part. It clearly said "slide lock".

Shady guy is someone local with anti-social psychological issues who became infatuated with our daughter. Finding him on the property walking towards my daughter's end of the house at 11:30 was unsettling. He seems to be in check now as far as approaching the property (an unhappy father holding an evil looking weapon has it's positives) but we're finding he is trying to "friend" people we know on FB. It's been a series of small things, nothing the police can act on but enough of them that to be anything less than prepared is just plain stupid.

The missing part....I believe I lost it during it's last cleaning. At least that is all I can come up with unless someone knows of these things falling out on their own.

EDIT: I just checked the Glock manual too. It's a slide lock.
    Last edited by ErSwnn; August 3rd, 2014 at 05:03 PM.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Ok, first, the slide lock is the lever that you push down with your thumb on the left side of the gun to release the slide and send it into battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    No, first of all, it's not...
    G'man, you been schooled! Boo-yah!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    Well EM beat me to it but I used the Midway schematic to identify the part. It clearly said "slide lock".

Shady guy is someone local with anti-social psychological issues who became infatuated with our daughter. Finding him on the property walking towards my daughter's end of the house at 11:30 was unsettling. He seems to be in check now as far as approaching the property (an unhappy father holding an evil looking weapon has it's positives) but we're finding he is trying to "friend" people we know on FB. It's been a series of small things, nothing the police can act on but enough of them that to be anything less than prepared is just plain stupid.

The missing part....I believe I lost it during it's last cleaning. At least that is all I can come up with unless someone knows of these things falling out on their own.

EDIT: I just checked the Glock manual too. It's a slide lock.
    I've cleaned my G19 (field stripped) lots of times without dislodging the slide stop, but that's a lot more plausible than it just falling out on its own. Did you detail strip it at some point?

I'd check the table corners, floor cracks, etc. in the area where you last disassembled the 19. The stop is small and black, easy to overlook.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Berks County)

The little do hicky that holds the gun together is missing and you have to ask if you can shoot it? (LOL)100 like going for a drive without your lug nuts on.
    Now if you were to grasp the slide and frame real good so as to stop the slide from moving you could get away with it and then rack by hand. This ain't going to work as a defensive method. You probibly would end up with a shot hand and a gun in pieces on the ground. Ship the part next day air. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    I've cleaned my G19 (field stripped) lots of times without dislodging the slide stop, but that's a lot more plausible than it just falling out on its own. Did you detail strip it at some point?

I'd check the table corners, floor cracks, etc. in the area where you last disassembled the 19. The stop is small and black, easy to overlook.
    Yeah, I'm baffled. No, I didn't detail it and it seems to me the part shouldn't just fall out during a field strip. There is no chance of finding it, it was a few months ago and the area is clean. I figure I just knocked it out somehow....actually I hope that is all there is to it, such parts should not be falling out. What bothers me so far as the part is concerned, other than the obvious, is that I did this and didn't notice. It should have been noticed after cleaning. Which causes me to wonder, which is defective, me or the gun?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast