Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Friend pulled a gun yesterday

So we live in a private community in the middle of nowhere on a lake, and my friend told me yesterday that there was three shady puerto rican guys fishing down on the community dock. So he was watching them from his house then they started going into peoples backyards and using there docks for fishing. So my friend is wondering whats going on, and then he saw that one of them went onto his private dock and started fishing. So he went outside and told him "hey you cant be here this is private property" then the guy started getting mouthy with him and he eventually left and headed back to his car. So then the 3 guys got back in there car and just sat there for 30 mins. My friend watched him and because it was a private road, he went out there and told them "hey you guys gotta go" then the same guy started getting mouthy with him again. They kept talking and then the guy got out of his car and started running toward him all while shouting at my friend. At that time my buddy pulled his gun and the guy said he was just coming to "apologize" My friend then told him to get back in the car and they left.

Now keep in mind my friend is in his 60's and these guys were younger and pretty built. My buddy is also a official in the home owners association. Also the state police are at least 20 mins away and thats if there not busy. What do you guys think? Was he justified in pulling his firearm?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Friend pulled a gun yesterday

Yes, I'm glad you added the fact they were Puerto Rican. Otherwise, I would have said no.

In reality, I don't know. How far away was the dock? 60's vs "pretty built"?? If he shot the guy, would it have been justified? Was the threat imminent? Hmmm?? From the details you mention, I don't necessarily think so.

(Northampton County)

This is why I never go fishing with shady Puerto Rican guys. They always get mouthy when fishing.

I sure as hell think he was justified. He was about to get an ass whooping at a minimum, possibly much worse. But what I think doesn't matter.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    Yes, I'm glad you added the fact they were Puerto Rican.
    It's called a descriptor. It allows people to paint a mental picture and envision the story how it happened as realistically as possible since they weren't there.

(Bucks County)

Your friend could have called the cops and let them fish until they arrived. This pulling a gun over fishing and trespassing? Not sure his approaching the guys and getting rushed at surprises me.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    It's called a descriptor. It allows people to paint a mental picture and envision the story how it happened as realistically as possible since they weren't there.
    Puerto Rican has no relevance to the story though. A better description of their size (beyond "pretty built") and a description of the distance between him and the man would have been more relevant descriptors.

If the OP would have acted differently in a situation where three "white Irish men" were fishing off private docks, then I would be stronger in my belief that the presentation of his weapon may have been premature. Were these guys "shady" because they were Puerto Rican? If white, would he have approached the situation differently?

(Northampton County)

Puerto Rican has no relevance to the story though. A better description of their size (beyond "pretty built") and a description of the distance between him and the man would have been more relevant descriptors.

If the OP would have acted differently in a situation where three "white Irish men" were fishing off private docks, then I would be stronger in my belief that the presentation of his weapon may have been premature. Were these guys "shady" because they were Puerto Rican? If white, would he have approached the situation differently?
    Spout your religion elsewhere.

(Delaware County)

Nope. Not justified IMO. Your 'friend' escalates the situation. Might even say he provoked the whole thing since they wee just sitting on the dock. You said police could take 20 minutes. You also said they sat in their car for 30 minutes. I am guessing you , I mean your friend, never called 911?

Should have called 911 and kept an eye on the guys without confronting them. If they approaches you, then possibly. But the way it went down no. If they had been shot I have no doubt the shooter would be in jail. For quite awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I blame New Jersey for putting itself above the Constitution

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    Your friend could have called the cops and let them fish until they arrived. This pulling a gun over fishing and trespassing? Not sure his approaching the guys and getting rushed at surprises me.
    That's not an accurate summation of the story. The story is that the gun was pulled because a man with whom angry words were exchanged, one of three who was trespassing, began running at the homeowner. At that point it's not about fishing or trespassing, it's about reasonable self-defense, and "brandishing" a firearm requires a lower threshold than pulling the trigger.

Pretty much any government form asks you your gender, age, race, and size. The OP covered all four. Not sure how it becomes racist when the serfs use the same descriptors as our masters in government.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Dauphin County)

Sounds like he did just fine. The gun was only pulled when he was being charged at so that is a valid reason. Your friend, as the property owner, has a right to tell them to leave. He didn't go out with his gun in hand and ask so I see no issue whatsoever.

Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast