Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default First time permit application(s)

After browsing the forum for awhile and finding out some great information, I thought I'd share my experience in applying for PA and FL permit and make a record.

I submitted my local police check card to Lower Merion (7/22/14) and was told it would be sent to the sheriff in 3 weeks.
    Check cleared (7/23/14)

Called the sheriff to check if it has been received today (7/29/14), it has not. I was told on the phone that normally they have been receiving the local police cards within 2 weeks of dropping them off.

Called lower merion police to check status, it was emailed to sheriff today (7/31/14) with an apology it was not done sooner, officer was out for past few days.

Went in this morning (8/1/14) and was in and out in under 20 minutes.

This coming Saturday (8/2/14) I am taking a NRA pistol course and will be applying for AZ.

Mailed in AZ application Thursday (8/7/14)
    Last edited by dgm1012; August 9th, 2014 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Update

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: First time permit application(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgm1012 View Post
    After browsing the forum for awhile and finding out some great information, I thought I'd share my experience in applying for PA and FL permit and make a record.

I submitted my local police check card to Lower Merion (7/22/14) and was told it would be sent to the sheriff in 3 weeks.

Called the sheriff to check if it has been received today (7/29/14), it has not. I was told on the phone that normally they have been receiving the local police cards within 2 weeks of dropping them off.

This coming Saturday (8/2/14) I am taking a NRA pistol course and will be applying for FL permit on Monday (8/4/14).
    Apply directly to the Sheriff. Ignore the police check card. Lower Merion will stall and do anything it can to prevent you from getting your LTCF.

Without said card, the Sheriff will verify your address and that you are not "known" to the Lower Merion PD. They will still probably stall, but I think it is harder for them to dick around on a request from the Sheriff than one from a citizen.

(Montgomery County)

Is it general consensus that when the card gets to sheriff that it will be issued on the spot?

I'm wondering if I should put in application into norristown now, and then whenever it arrives I would be issued the permit. A safe guard for the possibility of being "lost" or other issues I've heard about.

Is there any downside to this?

(Montgomery County)

Is it general consensus that when the card gets to sheriff that it will be issued on the spot?

I'm wondering if I should put in application into norristown now, and then whenever it arrives I would be issued the permit. A safe guard for the possibility of being "lost" or other issues I've heard about.

Is there any downside to this?

If you walk in the Sheriff's office with a completed card, you will walk out with your LTCF (assuming you pass PICS and have the $20 fee).

I do not see any downside to applying at Norristown. At most, the LMPD will have to answer the question twice.

Best of luck and sorry to hear the Lower Merion PD is trying to squash your rights this way.

(Montgomery County)

Anywhere in montco (or surrounding area) for getting prints for florida? Will lower merion pd do them?

I can't find any utah classes nearby that have upcoming classes. Any suggestions?

(Montgomery County)

Anywhere in montco (or surrounding area) for getting prints for florida? Will lower merion pd do them?

I can't find any utah classes nearby that have upcoming classes. Any suggestions?

Don't have an answer for those, but I would not hold my breath on LMPD lifting a finger to help you. Read around the site here, someone else may have already posted an answer.

(Bucks County)

Anywhere in montco (or surrounding area) for getting prints for florida?
    Several posters have stated that the Chester County sheriff will do them.

Bill

(Montgomery County)

My wife got her prints done at a UPS store near the Courthouse (not for a permit). I need to get mine done for my AZ permit.
    ....Then Piers Morgan came on and I almost got a concussion from facepalming so hard.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jagerwolf View Post
    My wife got her prints done at a UPS store near the Courthouse (not for a permit). I need to get mine done for my AZ permit.
    Florida requires that a LEO do the prints - don't know about AZ.

Bill

(Montgomery County)

Called lower merion police to check status, it was emailed to sheriff today (7/31/14) with an apology it was not done sooner, officer was out for past few days.

I am under the impression that if I go up to montco courthouse tomorrow morning I should walk out with permit. Am I still possibly going to have to submit application and wait up to 45 days?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast