Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: First time permit application(s)

I think I would phone the courthouse. Make sure they have the form. Otherwise it could be a wasted trip.

(Montgomery County)

Went in today (8/1) and was in and out under 20 minutes.

There was two other people whose checks started after mine and were done first. I wonder what caused my background to take much longer.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dgm1012 View Post
    Went in today (8/1) and was in and out under 20 minutes.

There was two other people whose checks started after mine and were done first. I wonder what caused my background to take much longer.
    So 10 days total. Not as bad as I expected from Lower Merion.
    Did the PD require an extra fee?

(Montgomery County)

Yes. Lower merion charged $25, then $20 to sheriff.

$45 isn't terrible in my opinion, when considering other states. On the other hand, pretty crazy that if I lived less then 5 minutes from where I do, I would have been in and out in 1 day and only paid $20.

Yes. Lower merion charged $25, then $20 to sheriff.

$45 isn't terrible in my opinion, when considering other states. On the other hand, pretty crazy that if I lived less then 5 minutes from where I do, I would have been in and out in 1 day and only paid $20.
    Seems like a racket that the local PD should charge for what should be part of the process for the LTCF.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by LTCcarrier View Post
    Seems like a racket that the local PD should charge for what should be part of the process for the LTCF.
    Agreed
    ....Then Piers Morgan came on and I almost got a concussion from facepalming so hard.

Anywhere in montco (or surrounding area) for getting prints for florida? Will lower merion pd do them?

I can't find any utah classes nearby that have upcoming classes. Any suggestions?
    I got printed at Upper Merion PD for AZ permit.

(Montgomery County)

Got prints done at Lower Merion PD. $30 first card, $10 each additional card. No appointment needed, extremely nice women doing prints.

Upper merion is by appointment only, $25 first card, $5 each additional card.

(Philadelphia County)

I went to apply at the court house about 47 days ago with the form filled out. When they ask you for the check card simply say "I'd prefer to wait". When they asked me for it at first I simply said "I'm not going to do that" and was met with a dirty look. Didn't mean anything disrespectful, but after I said "I'll wait it's fine" the guy was okay. Gave me a form copied my drivers license and sent me on my way.

Came back today and again was asked about the check card again and simply told them I submitted my application over 45 days ago. They found it and gave me my LTCF. They were very nice and professional. In and out maybe 20-30 minutes.

I really dislike the fact they want you to pay extra money to the local PD to get your LTCF and you have to wait anyhow. It's silly. I waited 6 weeks.

Also I don't like the half truths/lies on the little form they give out. I think they know it's bogus too. I asked her a question about it and she told me I was correct, but she didn't directly contradict the paper. Of course as always, when carrying you should always know the laws.

(Montgomery County)

So my situation, due to my job, is that I maintain residences in both PA and OR. I have an OR driver's license and consider that state my primary residence. I hold at present an OR LTCF, as well as a FL LTCF. Since the AG has decided to negate my ability to carry in PA under the FL permit, and because PA doesn't have reciprocity with OR, I'm now forced to obtain a PA non-resident LTCF to carry in PA.

The Montgomery County Sheriff website, like many PA Sheriffs, now states he doesn't don't issue non-resident permits. This of course is contrary to PA gun statutes and is in violation of the preemption provision. I obtained and filled out the PSP application and attached a copy of my OR permit as required. Off I went to the court house and the Sheriff's office gun permit counter.

Upon arrival I encountered "Roger" behind the counter and informed him I was there to submit my LTCF, and provided him with the application. He then asked for my driver's license. I produced my OR license. Whoa, Roger tells me they only issue PA resident permits. I explained to Roger that was not allowable under PA statute. To which Roger replies that the Sheriff has that choice and won't issue non-resident permits. I stated I'd still like to apply. Roger said nope, won't accept the application. Ok, since I'm being denied, please provide me with the denial challenge form. Roger says "we don't have those". Really?

Time to start documenting the interchange. I advised Roger that I was going to audio and video record him. I produce my phone and started recording. I stated the time, date, location and purpose of the recording and asked Roger to state his name, which he did. I again advise Roger that I'd like to submit my application, he again refuses. I again ask Roger for the denial challenge form, he again states they have none. I then advised Roger that I believe he is mistaken because PSP is required to provide this form to all PA Sheriffs. Roger glares at me, reaches under the counter and produces the form. I thank him.

A nearby uniformed Deputy has witnessed this interchange and requests me to produce my license again. I comply. He asks me to wait a few moments and departs the gun permit office. He returns with another gentlemen a few minutes latter. This individual identifies himself as Lt. Stewart. Lt. Stewart advises me that because I don't have a PA license or ID card, PSP will not accept the application information and will not run the required criminal history check. I responded that seems odd (I'm a former LEO and know better) and state this appears to be an internal issue between PSP and the Sheriff's Office. I again ask to submit my application and it is gain refused. The Lt. advises that I will need to contact PSP. I advise Lt. Stewart that I will indeed contact PSP, and I depart.

From my car outside the court house I contact PSP. I am advised by the PSP Gun Section that what Lt. Stewart has advised is incorrect. PSP can and will run my criminal history check using my OR drivers license information. I call Lt. Stewart and advise him of what PSP has advised and provide him with the name and number of the person I spoke with at PSP. Lt. Stewart states that he has just spoken with Sheriff Bono, and that the Sheriff has stated he will not issue a non-resident LTCF permit. I remind Lt. Stewart that the Sheriff is obligated to abide by PA statutes and that his refusal is in violation of the preemption provision of the gun statutes. Lt. Stewart suggests that I contact the Sheriff directly.

The next day (12/12/14) I went back to the Sheriff's gun permit office. While standing in line in the hallway, I encountered Lt. Stewart. He inquired if I had spoken with the Sheriff. I advised that I had not and didn't intend to. I advised that I believed the Sheriff was obligated to accept my application. He would then have 45 days from the date of application to determine his position on issuance or denial. Lt. Stewart agreed that would be an acceptable course of action. My application was accepted and, upon my request, I received a date stamped copy to document the date of application.

The clock is now ticking. I'll advise in mid-February what the outcome is.

I encourage all potential applicants to educate themselves on the PA gun permit statutes (Title 18, Chapter 61) particularly the provision pertaining to preemption, which prohibits subordinate governmental entities (counties, cities, townships...) from attempting to enforce requirements or prohibitions not provided for by or which are contrary to PA statute. By the way, doing so is a first class misdemeanor and, as of new legislation enacted this year, subjects the entity to payment to an aggrieved party of attorney fees and damages.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast