Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: FEG PA 63

(Montgomery County)

Default FEG PA 63

I recently bought one from a work friend. Nice condition,shoots well,seems like it would carry conceled well as it is thin.My problem is that it tears the web of my shooting hand.Even when I try to adjust my grip while firing,I wind up with a bloody hand.Anyone have any comments for a fix
    Paul

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: FEG PA 63

It's called slide bite. You are gripping the frame too high and the fleshy part of your hand is being scratched by the reciprocating slide. This is common with Walther PP-series and with the original FEG clones of the Walther. It looks like the distances were increased with the 63 so slide bite should be less of an issue. But not in your case. Extending the flange will force your skin to stay below the line of the slide. I have seen an attempt somewhere of a stick-on flange extension specifically for Walthers. Most people develop a modified grip. If yours is chambered for the Makarov round then a tight grip is definitely needed. You may not find an accommodation.

Good luck.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Dauphin County)

A guy used to sell hand made plastic tang extensions for PPKs and sold them on eBay. Maybe getting in contact with him will turn up some leads. Here's his last ad I found.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walther-ppk-...item41803088f1

I found the reference on waltherforums.com, where I'm a member. Slide bite is a common problem for new PPK owners until the learn a workable grip. Lowering the thumb tip towards the ring finger works for some.
    Last edited by GonzoGeezer; July 28th, 2014 at 09:14 PM.
    -gonzo, SoCenPA. "Before all else, be armed." --Niccolo Machiavelli
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...nzogeezer.html

(Bucks County)

I've shot a lot of big boomers before from hot loaded .45 Colt to a Contender pistol shooting rifle bullets.....

But, like you, the PA 63 is the ONLY pistol that ever drew blood. Sounds like the same thing happened. Your shooting away, recoil is snappy but not bad, you look down and the web of you hand is bleeding! For me, It was not a cut. More of a spot all of the skin was worn off and oozing.

I wasn't sure if it was a bite from the recoiling slide or just the thin tang /guard under the hammer digging in your skin under recoil, it is very thin. It was definitely not a pinch between the hammer and the guard.

(Lancaster County)

I have two of the 63's. How did I stop the bite? Go to Wolff Gunsprings and buy a new recoil calibration pack and hammer spring calibration pack. Doesn't cost much, but once I put the 13 or 15 lb recoil springs in and the 11lb hammer spring, the gun totally changed. The factory springs like to get weak and allow the slide to really slam back. The stiffer recoil spring and lighter hammer spring really change the feel of the gun.