Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDPA @ LPRGC

Default IDPA @ LPRGC

Yesterday I had the pleasure of shooting an IDPA match at Lower Providence Rod & Gun. My usual fourth weekend of the month match (Easton) was cancelled, so I decided to give LPRGC a try - I'm glad I did.

I don't know what prompted it, but there was a mass of new shooters there yesterday. I don't know if the overall turnout was typical or not, but they had 70+ shooters by hammer-down time, despite and early morning rain that delayed the start by about an hour (started at 11 AM). Even with the delay, they managed to complete 8 stages by about 3:45 PM.

The stages were well conceived and executed with just the right balance of "up close and personal" and some testers. One really tricky stage involving a vehicle, but it was the only technically complicated stage, which I enjoy, but which some match directors tend to over use and with longer stage reset times, tends to bog down a match. It was great having the one complicated stage and the balance more straight forward.

The SO's were great, assisting the new shooters without preaching to them or demeaning them while maintaining a safe and fun match.

Met some really nice people and had a good time overall - despite the morning rain trying to dampen my enthusiasm.

I intend to use this as a very viable alternative to my usual match schedule. It is about the same travel time as Easton, but won't replace it in my schedule for two reasons. 1) Necessary to take the PA Turnpike, which adds $9.00 (round trip) to my match expenses; and, 2) The match fee is twice what we pay at Easton and other NJ venues ($20 v $10). Understandable given the quality of the facilities and somewhat mitigated by the ease of registration & payment, which can be done on-line and with a credit card.

I'll definitely return, it will just depend on the quirks of the calendar and the vagaries of match scheduling/cancellation.

Kudos to LPRGC for a fine match. Thanks.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Default Re: IDPA @ LPRGC

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    Yesterday I had the pleasure of shooting an IDPA match at Lower Providence Rod & Gun. My usual fourth weekend of the month match (Easton) was cancelled, so I decided to give LPRGC a try - I'm glad I did.

I don't know what prompted it, but there was a mass of new shooters there yesterday. I don't know if the overall turnout was typical or not, but they had 70+ shooters by hammer-down time, despite and early morning rain that delayed the start by about an hour (started at 11 AM). Even with the delay, they managed to complete 8 stages by about 3:45 PM.
    Turnout was not atypical, IMO. Last month's match was during the Beast of the East match in Easton and there were still 66 shooters. I know at least one person left before the match yesterday, so 76 shooters was less than it could have been.

The stages were well conceived and executed with just the right balance of "up close and personal" and some testers. One really tricky stage involving a vehicle, but it was the only technically complicated stage, which I enjoy, but which some match directors tend to over use and with longer stage reset times, tends to bog down a match. It was great having the one complicated stage and the balance more straight forward.
    And that stage had a devilishly quick disappearing target (though I managed down 1 for 2 shots ).

The SO's were great, assisting the new shooters without preaching to them or demeaning them while maintaining a safe and fun match.
    Most definitely. I tend to see that at other clubs as well, but more obviously at LPRGC.

Met some really nice people and had a good time overall - despite the morning rain trying to dampen my enthusiasm.
    Yeah, it's usally a good time. What squad were you in - I was in 4.
    Anyone not in squad 4 missed a good show - on stage 1 you fired 2 shots each on 2 targets while retreating to cover, 2 shots each on 2 thru a doorway, 2 (long) shots each on 2 from the wall on the other side of the door, then moved downrange to the other end of a wall and turned left to fire 2 (loong) shots on 2 more. All of this in about 2" of fairly slippery mud. When I stopped to make the turn at the end my feet decided to keep going. I kept pointed downrange and level as I slid (very happy SO), caught myself on my off hand, managed to get up without touching down anywhere else, and finished the stage, only missing on 1 of the last 4 shots. My back didn't complain until bed time.

I intend to use this as a very viable alternative to my usual match schedule. It is about the same travel time as Easton, but won't replace it in my schedule for two reasons. 1) Necessary to take the PA Turnpike, which adds $9.00 (round trip) to my match expenses; and, 2) The match fee is twice what we pay at Easton and other NJ venues ($20 v $10). Understandable given the quality of the facilities and somewhat mitigated by the ease of registration & payment, which can be done on-line and with a credit card.
    Other than Double Action, LPRGC is the closest to me. It is the most expensive monthly match around, but good stages and great people (and providing shade and water at every bay) make it worth it.

I'll definitely return, it will just depend on the quirks of the calendar and the vagaries of match scheduling/cancellation.

Kudos to LPRGC for a fine match. Thanks.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I was one ahead of you in squad 5. We started on the pick-up truck stage and, thankfully, that put us second on the swamp (stage 1) before it got all chewed-up. I was shooting in SSR. It wasn't until I saw the results that I realized that there were three other revolver shooters. I did see that one of the SO's was shooting an ESR gun. The two in that division were barely more than one second apart in the final results.

How far are you from Easton? I was thinking you could head east on 22/78 - you would get off at the last exit in PA (I think it's Exit 75).

I'll be back - I really enjoyed myself. Just ordered some more ammo, so I can continue shooting my SSR gun for a while.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

I was one ahead of you in squad 5. We started on the pick-up truck stage and, thankfully, that put us second on the swamp (stage 1) before it got all chewed-up. I was shooting in SSR. It wasn't until I saw the results that I realized that there were three other revolver shooters. I did see that one of the SO's was shooting an ESR gun. The two in that division were barely more than one second apart in the final results.

How far are you from Easton? I was thinking you could head east on 22/78 - you would get off at the last exit in PA (I think it's Exit 75).

I'll be back - I really enjoyed myself. Just ordered some more ammo, so I can continue shooting my SSR gun for a while.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    I shot Easton's opener this year in April. I've also shot Phillipsburg 3 or 4 times this year, a couple at Guthsville, a few at Onteaunee, at least 3 now at LPRGC, and the PA Championships at Wilkes Barre.

Reload. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Reload. Just sayin'...
    I packed up my presses in 1991 and never unpacked them. I have two Dillons, a Rockchucker, and a Bonanza (now Forester). I have space and plans for bench that will accommodate them all - just too lazy to clean out the space where it would go. LOL.

We've probably crossed paths several times in the past.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

We've probably crossed paths several times in the past.
    If you've got orange grips on your revolver and know what a Servi-car is, I guarantee it...

Do you wear red suspenders?
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

Do you wear red suspenders?
    Bingo!

I had my son there for his very first match and my 3rd (sarge you know who I am) I was very proud of his 20th place finish out of 42 in SSP (me thinks) He was very safe and smooth. I almost lost to him and that would of been just fine with me but dad prevailed by a mere 3 spots. We do have to get out to other clubs in the area. I shot Peacemaker and plan on another trip there in a week. I may have to make the Easton trip as I am just north of reading anyway.
    COPS CARRY GUNS TO PROTECT THEMSELVES ...NOT YOU!!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by M&PEE View Post
    I had my son there for his very first match and my 3rd (sarge you know who I am) I was very proud of his 20th place finish out of 42 in SSP (me thinks) He was very safe and smooth. I almost lost to him and that would of been just fine with me but dad prevailed by a mere 3 spots. We do have to get out to other clubs in the area. I shot Peacemaker and plan on another trip there in a week. I may have to make the Easton trip as I am just north of reading anyway.
    He did look comfortable being there - good for him.

Easton has space to set up 12 stages, and (I think) does so regularly. Ken Ortbach runs Easton, Phillipsburg (across the river from Easton), and Hellertown, and possibly others. Always interesting matches - I think you'd like them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast