Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Re: Preemption violation: Hazle TWP park, (Hazleton/Harleigh, PA)

I'm so tired of the "fire in a theatre" line. You can, in fact, yell fire in a theatre, crowded or otherwise. If there is no fire, and you know there is no fire, and injury occurs from the false alarm then you may be sued and prosecuted. But you are free to yell fire, and in fact, if there is a fire, such yelling is encouraged.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Allegheny County)

“I am permitted to carry and I do own guns. But I do not carry (a gun) around my kids or anyone else’s kids. There is a time and a place for it. On a rifle range — that’s OK — but not at a community park,” Slusser said.
    Wow... That is one of the primary reasons I *do* carry a gun. To protect the people I love!

Where did these people grow up? and since when did "Shall Not Be Questioned" and "Shall Not Be Infringed" mean "Reasonable Restrictions"??

I'm going to go take some ibuprofen now.. My head hurts.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er2000 View Post
    Well... ANOTHER article in the Hazleton Standard Speaker newspaper...... guess there isnt too much other news in town lately.......
    The man, who preferred not to give his name, said the park rule is simply that — a rule, not a law. He said the board of supervisors should pass a law in order to enforce a firearm prohibition.

“If they have a permit to carry a gun for protection or for any other reason at all, then they can carry their firearm any place that there is no law prohibiting them from carrying it,” the man said.

“The rules and regulations are posted at the park with a warning that violations can carry a fine of up to $300.

mlight@standardspeaker.com

MAYBE some of these people still don't understand that the STATE STATUTE prevents them from doing this.....
    schr8er2000 I e=mailed this reporter asking her if she informned the gentleman that by state law the township could not pass a law in violation of state premption laws. I also explained to her that the rules at the park entrance does not state firearms are prohibited, so she should check her facts before she speaks.

(Montgomery County)

Wink Re: Preemption violation: Hazle TWP park, (Hazleton/Harleigh, PA)

It's interesting how some of these elected civilian Township Stupidvisors think that violating State law is OK, because they happen to disagree with it ("why do you need a gun in a picnic grove?).

Next time one of you attends a Supervisors or Borough Council meeting and this type if arrogant ignorance comes up, feel free to use this analogy:

"Well, sir, it would be nice to be able to pick and choose what laws we wish to obey, based upon whether or not we agreed with them. I, for example, greatly dislike being confined to driving my 2008 Corvette at a speed limit of 65 mph, when the highway was clearly designed to support the safe, sustained speeds of 140 mph that my Corvette was designed for."

See how they argue THAT logic.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by BlownNitroPontiac View Post
    It's interesting how some of these elected civilian Township Stupidvisors think that violating State law is OK, because they happen to disagree with it ("why do you need a gun in a picnic grove?).

Next time one of you attends a Supervisors or Borough Council meeting and this type if arrogant ignorance comes up, feel free to use this analogy:

"Well, sir, it would be nice to be able to pick and choose what laws we wish to obey, based upon whether or not we agreed with them. I, for example, greatly dislike being confined to driving my 2008 Corvette at a speed limit of 65 mph, when the highway was clearly designed to support the safe, sustained speeds of 140 mph that my Corvette was designed for."

See how they argue THAT logic.

Let's bring things even a little closer to home. Assume that they decide there is no need to change their park rule. And assume at the end of that meeting three of us publicly announce we intend to proceed directly to the park while carrying our firearms and blatantly disregard and ignore their rule. Would their be outrage? Probably. But the fact is that such a decision would be more legitimate than their decision to ignore state law (though no one seems to be worked up about that). We would be abiding with the limits opposed by the controlling authority on the matter (the legislature). They clearly are not - or at least, not yet.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Luzerne County)

The way I read this is that SOME gentleman ( NOT on the board of supervisors ) made that comment.... THE supervisors all seemed to understand the situation... its OTHERS that read the paper that dont know their butts from a hole in the ground.....

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er2000 View Post
    The way I read this is that SOME gentleman ( NOT on the board of supervisors ) made that comment.... THE supervisors all seemed to understand the situation... its OTHERS that read the paper that dont know their butts from a hole in the ground.....
    I'll certainly defer to your assessment because you were there in person, but when I read statements like
    [Supervisor] Matz said he is not opposed to a citizen’s right to bear arms, but feels it is neither necessary nor appropriate for anyone to carry a firearm in the community park.
    and
    ...the board also expressed confidence in the appropriateness of the firearm prohibition at the park.
    it doesn't exactly make me confident that they will change anything.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'll certainly defer to your assessment because you were there in person, but when I read statements like [...] and [...] it doesn't exactly make me confident that they will change anything.
    Well, if they don't, and we hold our picnic there anyway, let me know when, 'casue I think I want to be there.

Then again, even if they change it, I still WANT to be there...

(Luzerne County)

Yes it true that the one supervisor expressed his disapproval of our rights... but in the newspaper article it seems that it was someone else.... Anyway... once the solicitor checks this out I am sure HE will let them know they cant stop us.....

But thanks again for all the support and comments....

(Luzerne County)

U P D A T E

The next scheduled meeting will be on Monday Aug. 11, 2008 at 6:00 pm...

ALL please try to attend.... again I plan on being at the McDonalds on Route 309 and 28th St. around 5 to grab a bite before I go over there....

ANYONE that is going to go please let me know so that we can coordinate our meeting before hand to go in as a GROUP....

THANKS...

Paul
    Last edited by schr8er2000; July 28th, 2008 at 10:39 AM.

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast