Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default looking for opinions on trading from Glock to Sig239

**********Interesting twist page 2***********

OK.... So, for daily carry I have Glocks 31,32 & 33. I also have a S&W 38+P Airweight revolver.

I love my Glocks, but have been carrying my revolver a lot because it's easy and light. I carry the 31 and 33 mostly(capacity or concealment depending on need).

I have been thinking recently about the Sig 239. It's a good looking pistol(yes that matters- I'm an artist). In .357sig, it holds 7+1 rounds which is 3 more than my revolver. It feels great in the hand and I really like the way a steel gun feels.

People have said that it carries better than a lighter weight Glock. I not really sure that a Glock 32 loaded up with 13+1 weighs any less anyway.

What do I do? I really don't want to get "more" guns. Do I trade the G32 towards a sig? That means more mags, holsters etc....

I prefer the Sig DAK trigger on principle(similar to Glock), but I like the SRT trigger for it's short reset(like my glock). I'm talking myself into the SRT because I could always cock the hammer if I perceived a threat in advance.

Any opinions will be appreciated..... If I really like the Sig, I may just sell off all my glocks and become a one gun guy.
    Last edited by forby; July 27th, 2014 at 06:58 AM.
    With great power comes great responsibility....

Default Re: looking for opinions on trading from Glock to Sig239

Not. 239, but my wife has a 238 & the little thing practically disappears in a pocket holster for carry. The 239 is slightly larger, a bit more potent, but same thing really.

I like the gun, the action & trigger, & the fact that it's just so concealable, (which is the whole point), but for me; it's just too small for my hands. If you're comfortable with the small grip of the Airweight, then the 239, while a different feel, probably won't be much of a transition.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

You have something that works, and through which you should have sent a considerable amount of lead downrange both for training and to prove its reliability.

My advice: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you want to, go ahead and buy the Sig, but I wouldn't switch your carry piece unless you have a really good reason to switch from the Glock.

(Montgomery County)

I've carried various Glocks and a P239. I found the weight of the SIG to make it uncomfortable on my hip, especially give the lower round count. Don't get me wrong - it was a great gun. It just didn't end up being an EDC for me. (I carry a Glock 26 these days.)

(Perry County)

I have a 239 and I do notice the weight. Other than that, it's a solid choice for a carry gun but I think time may have passed it by. Comparing it to something like an XDS makes you realize how big it is for a single stack.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(York County)

Here is an additional thought. The .357 Sig and .40 S&W barrels can be
    interchanged in the P239. Each Caliber will require specific magazines. (Mags
    are not interchangeable between calibers). Also, .357 Sig ammunition is not
    exactly cheap. I have the same setup in a P229, the only difference is the
    pistol magazine handles both rounds of .357 Sig/40 S&W. Actually if you
    purchase the 40 S&W barrel later with additional mags, you have would have
    a 2 in 1 pistol. Just a thought.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    I really don't want to get "more" guns.
    Please don't ever utter that phrase again. Thank you.

(Montgomery County)

How about selling the 31 & 33 and keeping the 32? Its a perfect compromise between the 2 and I have to imagine you wouldnt be out much at all if anything if you did that after buying the 239. That way you can keep the mags and holsters and not start at square one.

You must be a good artist feeding all these .357 sigs I still get sticker shock looking at ammo prices for that.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by NJCzbt View Post
    How about selling the 31 & 33 and keeping the 32? Its a perfect compromise between the 2 and I have to imagine you wouldnt be out much at all if anything if you did that after buying the 239. That way you can keep the mags and holsters and not start at square one.

You must be a good artist feeding all these .357 sigs I still get sticker shock looking at ammo prices for that.
    I would sell the G32 and keep the big and small. The price difference with the sig357 is maybe $20/month... 2 fewer Manhattans or one less trip to pizza shop.
    Last edited by forby; July 26th, 2014 at 02:31 PM.
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Cumberland County)

Both are 2 of my favorite manuf's however, they are completely different
    guns.
    You'll have better resale with a Sig than a Glock and you'll also have "prettier" gun with the Sig an can make it prettier by changing of the grips etc. As you mentioned the Sig has a bit more choices in how you want to set up the
    firing mechanism. IE: DA only, DA/SA, DAK, SRT etc.
    I've owned a few models of both over the years and have found the Sig's to be more accurate which is probably the biggest "plus" in my book. I had a 229 years a go in 357SIG (note the lettering, cartridge was their creation) which was very accurate.
    Something to keep in mind though is that the 239 is designed as primarily a carry pistol, they don't usually have a "full" hammer like other sigs. Its reduced so the "tip" which you would usually thumb back to cock wouldn't be as easy to "cock".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast