Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Some thoughts on pistols and a thank you!

First off, big props to Guns4fun. He offered to let me test out some of his guns to help my search for a first handgun that I will be able to carry once I turn 21. Gave me a crash course in shooting and everything.

I was initially reluctant about getting a .45 as my first and only gun. I figured the power would be a bit overwhelming, and that it would be hard to control for someone like me who is new to shooting.
    After putting 75+ rounds through his glock 19, the 9mm really didn't do anything for me. I had a hard time controlling the recoil, and the gun just didn't feel good to shoot. It was the first of the two for me to try, so I thought it could be attributed to still not knowing what I was doing. I went back to it after shooting his .45's, and I still had the same problems.

I tried out his xd45's (compact and full size) and really liked them! The increase in power was noticeable, but it was easier to deal with. He confirmed that he thinks the same though. The XD's felt great though, I really liked the grip angle more than the glock. I was also able to get them all on target, and not too far off center if I may say so myself! He even made me keep one of the targets that he was impressed by.

Does anyone have any more suggestions on guns to give a try? I still have a few months until I turn 21, so I have some time to experiment.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Some thoughts on pistols and a thank you!

There are many other point-and-shoot pistols out there like Beretta, SIG, Kahr, etc. if you really want to research thoroughly. If you are already comfortable with the XD's, then go for one of those.

I'm not sure why the G19 recoil was difficult for you to control. It's probably one of the best guns I've ever shot and recoil is so mild that anyone with proper techniques can easily manage. One of the things to consider is the cost of ammo, especially when you are just starting to shoot. 9mm is a lot cheaper to shoot than .45ACP. Sure you can handle higher caliber, but how accurate are you at it? Heavy recoil can lead to bad habits: flinching, recoil anticipation, etc. You will want to shoot A LOT, especially in the beginning to be extremely comfortable with something that you are going to carry. Believe me, whatever you are going to buy, it won't be your last. I'd start with a 9mm XD.

Al

(Bucks County)

Why limit yourself to semi's? I know they are the "in" thing with younger folk, but at same time prone to jams, ftf's, fte's etc. If I could go back in time to just before I turned 21, I would get a used S&W pinned and recessed mdl 19.
    Beautiful weapon. 357mag when you need PD, and 38spl when you want to plink. But, if it has to be a semi, I'd get a nice 1911. Excellent platform to trick out if you want, or just enjoy it's simplisticity.

QuakertownRich has a good point with the model 19 S&W or the model 66. You could also look at a .40 S&W if you want something with some punch. While I love the 1911, it takes some getting use to and it can be hard to shoot and carry. Try to point shoot a .45 double tap to see if it's what you want. It can be done, but with a lot of practice. Good luck and I hope you find one that fits you. I've been looking for 45 years and have not found just the right one. I'll have to keep trying to find it.

(Philadelphia County)

While I own and love my Kimber 1911, I have to vote against the 1911 for the first gun. Full-size 1911's are great guns, but those that can be concealed (compact 1911's) have issues with reliability. Even full-size 1911's can still jam on your without having first broken in or if you limpwrist (something even experience shooters do, not just novices).

It's already been said that these take more getting used to as well and the take down for cleaning is a little more complicated (not much). Moreover, I am not sure how comfortable a beginner would be with carrying a gun locked and cocked. A decent 1911 will cost you a few $100's more than those other pistols.

Al

Thumbs up Re: Some thoughts on pistols and a thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by greasy View Post
    First off, big props to Guns4fun. He offered to let me test out some of his guns to help my search for a first handgun that I will be able to carry once I turn 21. Gave me a crash course in shooting and everything.

I was initially reluctant about getting a .45 as my first and only gun. I figured the power would be a bit overwhelming, and that it would be hard to control for someone like me who is new to shooting.
    After putting 75+ rounds through his glock 19, the 9mm really didn't do anything for me. I had a hard time controlling the recoil, and the gun just didn't feel good to shoot. It was the first of the two for me to try, so I thought it could be attributed to still not knowing what I was doing. I went back to it after shooting his .45's, and I still had the same problems.

I tried out his xd45's (compact and full size) and really liked them! The increase in power was noticeable, but it was easier to deal with. He confirmed that he thinks the same though. The XD's felt great though, I really liked the grip angle more than the glock. I was also able to get them all on target, and not too far off center if I may say so myself! He even made me keep one of the targets that he was impressed by.

Does anyone have any more suggestions on guns to give a try? I still have a few months until I turn 21, so I have some time to experiment.

Congratulations and welcome to guns. the 45 is not my favorite caliber , but it is abeauty. Good luck with your newest and best hobby. Ed

(Montgomery County)

Wow, a lot more googling that I'm going to have to do tonight.. haha. Thanks for all the suggestions. Up till now, all of the guns I have been looking at have been recommendations. I have zero experience with firearms, and thus I've really been confined to what those around me are familiar with. This forum has definitely helped to extend my search though.

Quote Originally Posted by er2006 View Post
    Congratulations and welcome to guns. the 45 is not my favorite caliber , but it is abeauty. Good luck with your newest and best hobby. Ed
    Thanks, its just what I need! Another hobby taking up all of my money! A month ago, I decided to set aside $1000 for a firearm and related costs (ammo, holster, etc.)... I just spent $60 on ammo to try a few out... and I am already thinking about getting AT LEAST two... I have a feeling that $1000 limit is worth forgetting. I'm already addicted and I have gone shooting once and can't even legally buy a handgun for another few months.

(Lancaster County)

You are opening a can of worms asking opinions of what guns to try. As many as possible is the best answer! I am also puzzled that the Glock 19 gave you trouble with recoil but like you said it may be since it was your 1st time shooting. Also the Glock has IMO the toughest trigger to master as a beginner since the travel is long. That leads to flinching and every other bad habit. I should know, a G19 was my 1st handgun and I hated it. I have since learned to shoot better and now appreciate the Glock (of course I sold mine and kick myself in the ass for doing it!)

My suggestion would be to get a .22 pistol like a Ruger Mk series or Browning Buckmark and learn to shoot. Its WAY cheaper and you will get rid of your bad habits (hopefully) without breaking the bank. Also, what do you plan on doing with your handgun? Carry or plink? That would make a big difference too. In the mean time, handle and shoot as many different guns as you can.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by wizzegun View Post
    You are opening a can of worms asking opinions of what guns to try. As many as possible is the best answer! I am also puzzled that the Glock 19 gave you trouble with recoil but like you said it may be since it was your 1st time shooting. Also the Glock has IMO the toughest trigger to master as a beginner since the travel is long. That leads to flinching and every other bad habit. I should know, a G19 was my 1st handgun and I hated it. I have since learned to shoot better and now appreciate the Glock (of course I sold mine and kick myself in the ass for doing it!)

My suggestion would be to get a .22 pistol like a Ruger Mk series or Browning Buckmark and learn to shoot. Its WAY cheaper and you will get rid of your bad habits (hopefully) without breaking the bank. Also, what do you plan on doing with your handgun? Carry or plink? That would make a big difference too. In the mean time, handle and shoot as many different guns as you can.
    I shot a few more rounds through the glock after putting 100 through the XD's, and it was still giving me a lot of problems. I really want to try out an xd9 to see how I like that though.

I honestly have to say that .22's feel exactly the same as my pellet gun (CO2 powered...). I will definitely look into getting a .22 for practicing though. Just more money that a broke college student like me does not have, you know?

I am looking to get a gun that I will be able to use for CC. I go to school in Ohio, and thus would not be able to carry for 8 months/year for the next two years (stupid reciprocity). When here in PA I will be carrying as much as possible, keeping a separate gun for home/car defense, and doing a good deal of target shooting in the meantime. I know I need to get a lot of practice, so I am prepared to spend a lot of time at the range.

Glock model 22 (.40 S&W), Glock model 30 (.45 ACP) subcompact, but it is a nice handfull with a 10 rd. mag, or you can buy a G 21 mag that holds 13 rounds, or pick your choice of an XD. Look into mag prices before you decide on what you will get. CZ 75's are a nice 9mm. Mags are not readily available though. Happy hunting!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast