Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Ear Pro. for Handgun Hunting?

Opinions wanted....
    What ear pro. do you use while handgun hunting? (or hunting in general?)

My plan is to head out with some Peltor Combat Arms plugs (the type with the sonic valve) As well as Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs and use either interchangeably. Anyone have experience in the woods with either of these?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Ear Pro. for Handgun Hunting?

I use my Howard Lieghts when hunting. They work well plus your ears stay warm. Mine go about 6 hours and then automatically turn off. I flip the switch off then on and am back in business. It is also nice to have the woods noises amplified to help compensate for my hearing loss.

Edited to add. I have also tried the Sonic Valve plugs and was not impressed with their ability to protect my hearing. I have also used a Walkers Game Ear and found it effective as well.
    The Lord Bless You

(York County)

Default Re: Ear Pro. for Handgun Hunting?

I have a hearing issue in my right ear caused by gun fire and I started wearing Howard Leight electronic muffs last year. I have to say, they are all-day comfortable for me (YMMV) and work very well. And, yes, they DO help keep your ears warm. They are a must-have for handgun hunting. The only drawback I have seen is during extreme weather (ie, snow, rain and sleet) when my hood needs to be up protecting my head and the hearing protection (not waterproof) there is a feed back issue if the hood is too tight to your head. I can blouse the hood to provide protection and allow the muffs to work correctly, but turning your head sometimes yields a whistle that becomes unbearable. It's a constant battle during harsh weather, but one I must fight if I'm to retain the hearing I have left. Right now it's my default system because the Norton ear valves aren't cutting it at a 7 NRR anymore.