Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Church/School carry question

Say a church has a k-12 school that uses the facility during the week through the school year, it is a ministry of the church, but a seperate entity. There is nothing that prohibits carry on Sunday, correct? What about carrying inside the builing when school is in session, but not in a part of the building that the school is using?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Church/School carry question

The same rules apply to both public and parochial schools, and they apply year round. Carrying on school property in the summer when no one is around is the same legally as carrying there in the middle of the day when school is in session.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Indiana County)

We're getting into a very grey (gray?) hypothetical situation here. I would assume there's some sort of demarcation between the K-12 school and the church proper? If so, carry in one and not the other.

Concealed means concealed. If you don't tell, then nobody knows.

To date, no LTCF holder has ever been prosecuted for carrying on school grounds, according to my State Representative. The school carry prohibition does provide a legal defense for carrying for other lawful purposes. Clearly, one would think self-defense is a lawful purpose since that's what's stated on the LTCF. There is no court precedence on this that I'm aware of.

Of course, someone out there could always push the issue and try to become a test case. Don't know if the D.A., however, would want to touch the case for fear of the outcome.

(Cumberland County)

Some rooms are definately church, some are definately school and some are dual purpose but the church owns it all

(Delaware County)

Concealed means concealed!

I carry every Sunday to church service and to every school function that I attend (which are numerous). Sometimes I carry a full size handgun (1911 or XD45) and sometimes it is the little Kel-Tec .380 but I always carry. I have thought about it some and do not want to be a test case but I certainly do not want to not carry.

Every year there seems to be a couple cases somewhere in the country where a crazy opens fire at a church or a school for that matter. Our church is just like most in that we have a lot of nice peaceful people but there have been a couple instance to make a "prepared" person pause to think for just a moment. What about that person who got arrested for allegedly, supposedly, possibly trying to do something illegal on church property. He was real pissed off at the time. He may want to "get even". I would not want to be faced with just throwing a hymnal at him as he shout something and draws a gun.

My wife and children are too important to me to let this crap make me not carry. I feel that it is my responsibility to protect them to the best of my ability. The courts have already stated that is IS NOT THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE POLICE.

Concealed means concealed!