Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wyoming County)

Default Archery Question

Hi everyone, I'm not sure this is the best place for this so please forgive me if it isn't. I work at a summer camp and I oversee the archery area. One of our summer staff has a lame arm and expressed interest in trying archery. I am wondering if any of you would have any thoughts on the best way to approach this. We don't have crossbows, and the range isn't set up for them.

Thank you.

Default Re: Archery Question

is he right or left handed? does he use the correct eye with the given hand? could you better describe his handicap please? a low powered (less draw weight or shorter draw length of arrow) might make it possible for him to practice. there's been some outstanding work done on altering guns to help the handicapped shoot, so by now, that's probably bled over into archery, too. Google is your friend. maybe even youtube.

(Lehigh County)

Dominate eye is the one eye that's open. If he is a cross dominate eyed person. Close the other eye and bam that's your dominate eye.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Could you write a few crossbow manufacturers and ask if they do any charitable donations? You might be able to get a big discount or maybe even a freebie.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Wyoming County)

He is right handed. His left hand is virtually unusable and he can only raise his left arm to a certain point. I hadn't established eye dominance yet, but if he is left eye dominant I will just have him close his left eye. I've thought of using a compound release and figuring out another way for him to pull the trigger.

Thanks for the suggestion to write to the companies. I hadn't thought about doing that. We are a non profit so that should help!

(Delaware County)

I would say the crossbow on a rest may work. otherwise, i am sure some has (or could) rig up a bow on a standing mount to hold the bow up in place. then all there is to do is for him to pull the arrow back and release. hope that was clear enough explanation of what i see in my mind.

(Erie County)

Probably a crossbow on a rest is the only option if the left arm is basically useless.

Go to www.crossbownation.com or www.archerytalk.com
    Last edited by ItchyTick; July 20th, 2014 at 10:56 AM.

gonna need a "claw" or crank to cock the xbow back, too, (or a shooting buddy). Would he considered .177 pellet pistol and airsoft instead? Much handier, and much more feasible for him. Then "live" .22 and maybe centerfires later. A silenced Buckmark Browning .22 autopistol is a real 'blast". :-)