Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Handgun safe for the house

Looking around the web, trying to decide.

Really liking the GUN BOX .... The one with the RFID wrist or ring chip system

ALL INPUT ON ANY OTHERS WELCOMED

(York County)

Default Re: Handgun safe for the house

What do you want it for, longer term storage, or bedside keeping and ready access?

I've been looking around lately too, including "review" sites, and their are some gimmicks out there, and there are some shoddy "safes" apparently.

I'm curious to see how this thread goes and what kind of feedback you get. It seems there are quite a few items out there that will barely keep small children out of them.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lancaster County)

I have three push button gun vaults. On one of them the buttons broke. I called the company and they sent me another one and told me to discard the original. I use it as a keyed safe to this day. Ive never tried to break into one but am pretty sure I could. I keep them accessible but hidden.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Im not Batman View Post
    Looking around the web, trying to decide.

Really liking the GUN BOX .... The one with the RFID wrist or ring chip system

ALL INPUT ON ANY OTHERS WELCOMED
    I would not get anything electronic, esp. if is something you expect to get into quickly in a tense situation. Get something with a Simplex lock.

FWIW, a gun box is not a safe.....it's just a gun box. Based on the description of what you want, I would get something like this:

http://www.deansafe.com/ftk-pb.html?...FSpo7AodFT8A4w

Such boxes are not safes. They will let in anyone who wants in there bad enough. But they are good for keeping out kids, ready bed side access, and deterring thieves who may be present for the smash and grab type operation. If you want more security than that, you need a full-sized safe (which is better, but obviously nothing is 100% secure), but that is not really suitable for middle-of-the-night beside access.
    Last edited by free; July 20th, 2014 at 02:37 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    What do you want it for, longer term storage, or bedside keeping and ready access?

I've been looking around lately too, including "review" sites, and their are some gimmicks out there, and there are some shoddy "safes" apparently.

I'm curious to see how this thread goes and what kind of feedback you get. It seems there are quite a few items out there that will barely keep small children out of them.
    Well, kind of ALL OF THE ABOVE uses.

No kids at home other then my 87 year old dad and he's isn't gun savvy so...KEEP SMALL CHILDREN OUT
    (I currently keep no ammo in house because of this)

I work in entertainment and that keeps me gone on tour a lot... So LONG TERM STORAGE

When I am home, it would need to be a ready access ....BEDSIDE

HMM???? Many good points

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    I would not get anything electronic, esp. if is something you expect to get into quickly in a tense situation. Get something with a Simplex lock.

FWIW, a gun box is not a safe.....it's just a gun box. Based on the description of what you want, I would get something like this:

http://www.deansafe.com/ftk-pb.html?...FSpo7AodFT8A4w

Such boxes are not safes. They will let in anyone who wants in there bad enough. But they are good for keeping out kids, ready bed side access, and deterring thieves who may be present for the smash and grab type operation. If you want more security than that, you need a full-sized safe (which is better, but obviously nothing is 100% secure), but that is not really suitable for middle-of-the-night beside access.
    I had the same thoughts on the electronic ones my self. At this writing, I haven't looked at the website... Going there next

(Chester County)

I just picked up a GunVault micro with the biometric entry. It's on sale at Cabelas for $189 right now.

I'm still on the fence on the biometric thing. When I purchased it, I thought you could still do the finger combination lock if you had to override the biometrics, but I found you don't have that option once I unpacked it. It seems to work pretty well once you get the feel for it, but sometimes it is finicky. I'll try it for a couple of days and if it is too tricky, I'll return it for a manual one.

I like the size and it fits my Walther PPS with a spare mag just fine.

http://www.gunvault.com/microvault-b...ic-mvb500.html

i have a stack on drawer safe and know it sucks

its only job is to make it hard for my young daughter to get in and it does that pretty well

it scores poorly when judged by accessibility in a dark/stressful situation
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GSrider View Post
    I just picked up a GunVault micro with the biometric entry. It's on sale at Cabelas for $189 right now.

I'm still on the fence on the biometric thing. When I purchased it, I thought you could still do the finger combination lock if you had to override the biometrics, but I found you don't have that option once I unpacked it. It seems to work pretty well once you get the feel for it, but sometimes it is finicky. I'll try it for a couple of days and if it is too tricky, I'll return it for a manual one.

I like the size and it fits my Walther PPS with a spare mag just fine.

http://www.gunvault.com/microvault-b...ic-mvb500.html

I've been looking at these too. Again.... Electronic but with a key back up.
    I'd put this on my TOP 3

The $$ is a determining factor. I don't have an arsenal... An no long guns...well not yet... I am thinking of at least AR type in the future. (wish list)

(Bucks County)

Stay away from the biometric units (fingerprint reader). If you cut, scrape, burn or otherwise get a booboo it can become the injury that costs you your life. Those things do not work if you have anything change about your fingerprint, including splinters and minor cuts/abrasions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast