Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Smallish/weakish hands

I've been considering purchase of my first handgun. But the choices are making me insane.

I had originally planned on a semi-auto (probably 9mm since it is for self-defense/home defense). However, after research, and since it would be my FIRST handgun, I ended up deciding that I should get a revolver (less likely to deal with malfunctions, etc.).

I had just about decided on a Taurus 357 snubnose. Went to the range with my boyfriend to make sure I could handle the recoil (which was NOT a problem, btw).

The problem is the trigger itself. I've got rather small hands (short fingers) and, I'll admit, weak hands. I had to use a double finger pull on the trigger to get a consistent shot (otherwise, I was having problems where the hammer would start to go back, I'd lose strength, and I'd end up with misfires).

I know the trigger could probably be adjusted to make it easier to pull, but I've read that can cause other problems with the gun itself.

Are there any revolvers that would have an easier pull? I really don't want to drop down in caliber if I don't have to.

Do y'all think it would be better to go back to the idea of a semi-auto? I fired his Colt 45 on the same day. The trigger was much much smoother.

I'm open to suggestions here.

When it comes to revolvers, I know I could make it easier on myself by pulling the hammer back with my thumb first, but I don't want to rely on that because, God forbid I ever need to use it other than at a range, but if I do, I may not have that as an option.

Default Re: Smallish/weakish hands

See if you can locate a SIG P239 with the short trigger installed.

There's a picture of one on this thread: http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictu...ifference.html

The Hogue rubber grips depicted there are a good idea, too.

I like the S&W 640.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by sjl127 View Post
    I like the S&W 640.
    How does this work as far as the weak hands. It reminds me of the Taurus 357. (I'm not especially attached to any particular brand weapon - Taurus was just what I happened to look at while in a local shop).

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    See if you can locate a SIG P239 with the short trigger installed.

There's a picture of one on this thread: http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictu...ifference.html

The Hogue rubber grips depicted there are a good idea, too.
    I found this website: www.corneredcat.com

It talked about gun size for smaller hands, but I really thought the 357 was the right SIZE for my hands......but I still couldn't pull the trigger back smoothly.

Now, the Colt 45 (the semi-auto) was too big for my hands, but I was able to pull the trigger smoothly.

So maybe semi-auto is the way to go?

(Delaware County)

There is no reason why you couldn't operate a semi-auto pistol. Men often recommend revolvers to women because they're "simple". That's BS.

I wouldn't recommend anything from Sig Sauer if you have short fingers. They have long trigger reaches, even with the short trigger installed.

Quote Originally Posted by squinn View Post
    There is no reason why you couldn't operate a semi-auto pistol. Men often recommend revolvers to women because they're "simple". That's BS.

I wouldn't recommend anything from Sig Sauer if you have short fingers. They have long trigger reaches, even with the short trigger installed.
    She needs to decide if the P239 works for her by finding one and picking it up in her hand. I wound up getting rid of the short trigger on a P239 by trading it in against an H&K P2000SK, which I got rid of after coming to strongly dislike the magazine drop on it.

I'd call around. For a while, and I don't know why, the short trigger version of the P239 was sort of the standard. You'll find that you may go through a few pistols until you find nirvana in your hand.

Look for a used Smith. The action smooths out after it's been shot some. You could also take it to a good gun smith and have them bring the trigger down to three or four pounds.

(Lawrence County)

1911 in 9mm or .45 with short trigger. Hard to find anything easier to reach than that.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Westmoreland County)

My gf has very small hands (like a 9 yr old's lol) as well and her favorite of mine to shoot is the springfield xd 9mm subcompact. Easy trigger reach for small hands and light trigger pull makes it very comfortable for her. She also has a very rough time with my smith .357 because the trigger pull is so heavy. If you get a chance to try one out give it a shot I think you'll be pleased. If you guy's didn't live so far away I'd let you try out mine. Best of luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast