Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Delco field and stream today

Went out the the club today with my oldest son. Hit the archery range first (I know nothing about archery). He said his sight was off so I was going to try to adjust it. Had a great time shooting and a guy at the range was extremely nice and helpful. Worked with my son on his form, aiming , tweaked his bow up, added the notches on the string, helped sight it in, etc. He took a lot of his time out of his day to help us with anything and everything. Even let my son try his trigger strap out.

Of course this isn't out of the ordinary really. Everyone's been really helpful and friendly there so far. Best investment I've made for my kids and self.

Then headed over to the pistol range and let my son shoot the XDs and XDm for the first time. He's only shot 22 before this. He liked the s and hit the target with all shots at 7 to 10 yards or so.

Going to try out an old shotgun I have and his 410 one of these days soon. Two sons want to hit the pheasant hunt this fall and none of us have shot shotgun before ( well, I hunted and target shot slugs but that's it). And going to look for an inexpensive 20 ga for the middle son to shoot.

Good day today.
    Last edited by 90volts; July 20th, 2014 at 12:31 PM. Reason: word missing some letters

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Delco field and stream today

I've been a member there for almost 10 years and although it's not everyone's cup of tea, you really do have access to a lot of different disciplines and resources.

I've taught my wife, son, daughter, mother-in-law(LOL, no one could believe it) and numerous friends to shoot there.

All of which whom have become either advocates for the 2nd or at least now have a firm understanding of the virtues of firearm ownership.

Best regards,

Kobsw

(Delaware County)

Good job Mr. Volts...............
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Delaware County)

Now if we could just get them to install lockers so I can store my pistol target frame there and OC on the bike... What a wonderful day that would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I blame New Jersey for putting itself above the Constitution

(Delaware County)

Just buy a new one.... and leave it for the next person.
    George,

(Delaware County)

Unfortunately my money tree hasn't come into bloom yet. I'm still hoping though.

(Delaware County)

Good day at the field and stream today. Spent a couple hours shooting Thundrr's 1911. Found out that I don't like shooting my 1911, I like shooting his better.

Apparently not all 1911s are created equal. Plan is to ship mine back to sprimgfield for so,e work and look for a new, bit higher end version. I wanted to stay with sprimgfield but my 1911 was giving me a bad taste about them. George showed me that springfield can make a good gun. So I may give them a chance.

Also, this morning doing my normal OC in DD a thought occurred to me. I was sitting against a wall with my strong side out. It's amazing how oblivious people are to their surroundings. They'd be sitting ducks to someone with bad intentions. Ignorance is bliss as they say. No problems later on in giant at the customer service desk (don't buy hostess powdered donuts. They suck and even a hungry 8 year old can't stomach them), gas station, pizza joint. I don't think many people even noticed. I know one little girl in giant did and heard her tell her mom. But mom was perfectly ok with it.

(Delaware County)

90,,,It was all MY pleasure. Just seeing the look on your face after trying the TRP or the Wilson CQB E was priceless. You shot them so well.

You actually have a real version of the 1911A1. Short trigger, arched MSH and notched on the weak side. Most of these modifications were the result of the Cavalry reporting back that their riders were consistently shooting low. They shortened the trigger and notched the weak side to allow for the gloves the riders wore. They arched the MSH to bring the POA up.

My suggestion for future mods would be a beaver tail, tritium sights, trigger job (yours sucks) and maybe a medium length trigger. I might consider a new front bushing to tighten up that barrel. OR,,, Don't do a thing and sell it outright and buy a TRP and do some mods on that.

I've always thought I wanted a short trigger, as my fingers are on the short side, but after shooting your pistol I'm questioning that. It may have been the 37 pounds of pull it needed to ignite the round. Next week I can bring over the 1911 test rig I made and see how many pounds it really takes.
    Last edited by thundrr1; August 9th, 2014 at 01:08 PM.
    George,

(Delaware County)

It sure was funny seeing it "recoil" before you pulled the trigger all the way.

I think he was expecting it to go off a few seconds before it did due to the horrendous pull on my mil spec.

I'm planing to send it back to sprimgfield for sure. Maybe this week. ( or maybe I'll keep it long enough for Aggie to try it so he can see what type of 1911 he doesn't want and make all yours look even better). Trigger work at the very least. I'd like it to shoot better and keep it. I like the idea of it. Just not how it shoots. And then I'll get the trp as well.
    I was looking at the trp in black with the gray g10 grips. That's my type of look!
    Last edited by 90volts; August 9th, 2014 at 07:07 PM.

(Delaware County)

I'll more than likely be at the table trap range tomorrow, stop by if you're still looking to shoot shotgun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast