Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Citizens arrest / fleeing felon

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    Not all municipal police, but no BS like 6 cops for 8,000 people.

The police and FDs need to be broken down into populations of around 25k. That's when you get a fire chief, that's when you get a police chief.

Every ity bitty municipality doesn't need it's own police force, consolidate and save overhead to increase patrolman salary, and become more selective of who gets hired.
    This makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Exactly. There is very little need for police. And the number of State Police we have is more then sufficient. Municipal police should be eliminated.
    Than this.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    Exactly. There is very little need for police. And the number of State Police we have is more then sufficient. Municipal police should be eliminated.
    That's funny. Quite hilarious actually. What's your plan, covering Philly with a couple of Troopers? Pittsburgh? Reading? Any number of other cities and towns?

My partner and I (lowly municipal cops) were just at a training shoot the other week with several PSP Troopers in attendance. The talk was about not having a residency clause in contracts. The Trooper bought a house specifically in a town that has a local police presence because in his words "Our response time is shit".....(PSP response time to calls).

I don't know where you are getting your info that there is enough State Police. I must personally know at least 20 Troopers and they are always saying how short staffed they are, especially on the night shift. I know for a fact that at one point, there were two Troopers (in the same car) covering a very large portion of Luzerne County at night. Response time was any where from 45 minutes to.....????

PA is limited to the number of Troopers they can hire. The State Police is always trying to get that number bumped up. Why do you think they want to start charging towns that don't have their own police? The towns that are covered by PSP hate this idea because they already know that they don't see PSP patrolling through their towns unless they are going to a call. The towns see no benefit to having to pay for the coverage, because they will not see any change.

Sure, tiny, little 1/2 sq mile towns should regionalize with other towns, but it's the politicians that are holding this up, not the officers. The politicians don't want to give up their "puppet strings" (real or imagined).

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    That's funny. Quite hilarious actually. What's your plan, covering Philly with a couple of Troopers? Pittsburgh? Reading? Any number of other cities and towns?

My partner and I (lowly municipal cops) were just at a training shoot the other week with several PSP Troopers in attendance. The talk was about not having a residency clause in contracts. The Trooper bought a house specifically in a town that has a local police presence because in his words "Our response time is shit".....(PSP response time to calls).

I don't know where you are getting your info that there is enough State Police. I must personally know at least 20 Troopers and they are always saying how short staffed they are, especially on the night shift. I know for a fact that at one point, there were two Troopers (in the same car) covering a very large portion of Luzerne County at night. Response time was any where from 45 minutes to.....????

PA is limited to the number of Troopers they can hire. The State Police is always trying to get that number bumped up. Why do you think they want to start charging towns that don't have their own police? The towns that are covered by PSP hate this idea because they already know that they don't see PSP patrolling through their towns unless they are going to a call. The towns see no benefit to having to pay for the coverage, because they will not see any change.

Sure, tiny, little 1/2 sq mile towns should regionalize with other towns, but it's the politicians that are holding this up, not the officers. The politicians don't want to give up their "puppet strings" (real or imagined).
    I agree 100%. As in most very rural PA, our township has no local police so the PSP is our policing department. IF they show up when you call them, their response time is ridiculously slow. In the 10+ years I have lived out here, I probably saw a PSP car 3 or 4 times driving down the road. Speeding is out of control from gas workers on our state road and the PSP wrote me a nice letter stating, "Thank you for your concern about speeding, we will look into it" - my ass, never saw one PSP car checking speed as they zip pass my driveway doing 60 in a 40 MPH zone on a blind bend.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456