Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Dual US/Canadian citizen living in Canada trying to get LCTF/CCW

handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf
    Pretty helpful site but it looks like NH is still my best option.

(Susquehanna County)

Heard back from Sheriff Nau. Nothing can be done as far as a PA LTCF because he can't get a validating number from the State Police which is needed to issue a PA LTCF.

I'm speaking with someone from the NH permits and licensing department and we'll see what happens.

(Allegheny County)

If you go to obtain a PA DL you will be required to turn in your license from Ontario. PennDOT will eventually mail it back to the Ministry of Transportation. You cannot hold more than one license in PA or in Ontario. I moved here thirteen years ago and had to turn over my license when I applied for a PA DL. If you need your Ontario license then I wouldn't suggest it. And if you're applying to be a police officer there then you absolutely need it.

Not sure how you transport handguns back and forth across the border with you. I'm a dual citizen as well and never even think to try to take a gun into Canada. I do know Canada Customs will store them for you until you return to leave, as long as you're honest when asked if you have one in the vehicle. If you lie it's another story. I've personally been told that at the bridge.

US CBP stores them as a courtesy for US law enforcement officers.....just stop in before you go across the border and they give you a form to fill out....literally takes ten minutes (you just go directly to the counter....don't wait in line...they'll verify your creds and let you in their area). They're always friendly too. They don't even handle your gun.....you unload it and place it in the locker yourself.

Sounds like you might just have to suck it up and go without while you're here, just like I do without when I go to Canada. If you're only here a couple times a year it doesn't seem like it's worth all the hassle. If you move back, then get a new license.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by EPD703 View Post
    If you go to obtain a PA DL you will be required to turn in your license from Ontario. PennDOT will eventually mail it back to the Ministry of Transportation. You cannot hold more than one license in PA or in Ontario. I moved here thirteen years ago and had to turn over my license when I applied for a PA DL. If you need your Ontario license then I wouldn't suggest it. And if you're applying to be a police officer there then you absolutely need it.

Not sure how you transport handguns back and forth across the border with you. I'm a dual citizen as well and never even think to try to take a gun into Canada. I do know Canada Customs will store them for you until you return to leave, as long as you're honest when asked if you have one in the vehicle. If you lie it's another story. I've personally been told that at the bridge.

US CBP stores them as a courtesy for US law enforcement officers.....just stop in before you go across the border and they give you a form to fill out....literally takes ten minutes (you just go directly to the counter....don't wait in line...they'll verify your creds and let you in their area). They're always friendly too. They don't even handle your gun.....you unload it and place it in the locker yourself.

Sounds like you might just have to suck it up and go without while you're here, just like I do without when I go to Canada. If you're only here a couple times a year it doesn't seem like it's worth all the hassle. If you move back, then get a new license.
    It's easier if I have a firearm here in Canada and go south. Many Canadians do it for competitions in the US.

I spoke to Sheriff Nau about open carry - it's prohibited for a non-resident.

So hopefully NH pulls through. Otherwise I may file suit. There's already a case (Dearth v. Holder) that I'm paying attention. Basically I can't buy a firearm in the US because I'm not a resident and the ATF form requires a state or something. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by pandemic View Post
    It's easier if I have a firearm here in Canada and go south. Many Canadians do it for competitions in the US.

I spoke to Sheriff Nau about open carry - it's prohibited for a non-resident.

So hopefully NH pulls through. Otherwise I may file suit. There's already a case (Dearth v. Holder) that I'm paying attention. Basically I can't buy a firearm in the US because I'm not a resident and the ATF form requires a state or something. Anyway, we'll see what happens.
    "Open carry is prohibited for a non-res."
    That's not true. If you can get a ccw, license from any state it would cover you in your vehicle as a non-resident. You could then open carry on foot. Even without the cow, license you can open carry on foot. You cannot get into a vehicle however. You would also have to avoid "gun free school zones", Philadelphia, and you can't carry during a state of emergency.

OC would be a hassle with out the license, but it is not illegal if you can abide by all the restrictions.

(Susquehanna County)

Just received word that I qualify for the NH CCW license. Booyah.

Excellent news.

Let us know when you get it.

(Susquehanna County)

I just emailed Sheriff Nau with the email from NH as well as the PA reciprocity agreement to confirm this would allow me to carry concealed in PA.

It's looking positive though. Oddly enough the NH application doesn't have an area for phone numbers for your references. I know when I got my PA LTCF the Sheriff called my references. Anyway, I've got two police officers and a correctional officer as my references. I should be alright.

(Susquehanna County)

Reply from Sheriff Nau regarding:
    https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uplo..._Agreement.pdf

"Some time ago under another Attorney General the State Police position was because to the second paragraph in the agreement reading that the agreement was to extend reciprocity between the Citizens of N.H. and Pa. those with NH license to carry and not NH residents the reciprocity did not apply.

However under #1 it says the Pa. would recognize valid NH permit to carry concealed firearms by valid NH permit holders. Saying nothing about residency. Therefore I was of the opinion with a valid NH license regardless of residency you were covered to carry in Pa.

I contacted the Pa. Attorney General’s Office for clarification and they gave an opinion that Pa. recognized valid permit holder from NH not NH residence with valid license.

Since that time our current AG has revised several agreements to include the State’s residents with valid license are permitted to carry.

They have not changed the NH agreement so #1 would apply."

So, according to that reply it sounds like residency does not matter and a valid holder of a NH firearms license will be recognized in PA. Am I correct?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by pandemic View Post
    Reply from Sheriff Nau regarding:
    https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uplo..._Agreement.pdf

"Some time ago under another Attorney General the State Police position was because to the second paragraph in the agreement reading that the agreement was to extend reciprocity between the Citizens of N.H. and Pa. those with NH license to carry and not NH residents the reciprocity did not apply.

However under #1 it says the Pa. would recognize valid NH permit to carry concealed firearms by valid NH permit holders. Saying nothing about residency. Therefore I was of the opinion with a valid NH license regardless of residency you were covered to carry in Pa.

I contacted the Pa. Attorney General’s Office for clarification and they gave an opinion that Pa. recognized valid permit holder from NH not NH residence with valid license.

Since that time our current AG has revised several agreements to include the State’s residents with valid license are permitted to carry.

They have not changed the NH agreement so #1 would apply."

So, according to that reply it sounds like residency does not matter and a valid holder of a NH firearms license will be recognized in PA. Am I correct?
    Sounds like you would be alright for now. Given the current AG is an anti-gun zealot she will probably start working on rewording that agreement in the future though . I would stay up to date on any changes in the future to be sure.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567