Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Help a newbie out re: where/what to buy

Ok, so I've been reading these forums for a while now but I try to keep to myself because I'm a newb. Now here's my predicament. I'm always asking different folks about different things and I always get different responses and suggestions, which is great but I'm still at a loss with a lot of stuff. What I am asking is for suggestions on some various things like what and where and how.

Below are a few items I would like to pick up while I have the loot and the rights to do so. The question is exactly what should I be picking up and where. FYI, money isn't the object here. I'll spend a little extra to get high quality items, not el-cheapo stuff that I can't get work done on or extra parts for.

FYI, I live in the city and don't get a chance to "plink around" much so I'm more-so getting these items as an exercise of my rights, home defense, and for occasional plinking.

Ak-47 - I'd like one (or 5) for the wall. I've been hearing a lot about ammo availability.
    My Question is: What should I be looking for being that I am interested in high quality production and parts, ammo availability, TCO (total cost of ownership) and where can/should I find this at the best cost-quality ratio. What should my considerations be with a purchase of this firearm?

AR-15 - It's been suggested that I buy a complete upper and lower rather than an assembled unit. I'd like to have one of these for the sake of having one. No reason outside of that.
    My Question: Suggestions on where to buy this? Brands? Considerations when doing so?

Hunting Rifle - It's been suggested that I look into a Tikka Lite .308. This unit will only see the woods for 3 days a year and might see a target here and there til I can find a local range. So it's use will be minimal but I want something that will last me til I am an old man and can pass this on to someone else.
    My Question: What other suggestions do you folks have(make and model)? Caliber suggestions? Where is a good place to find what you suggest?

Shotgun - I've heard many many many times about the 870. I am leaning towards this. This item is for Home Defense
    My Question: Where's the best place to buy and what are the suggested features I should look for when buying. I'll avoid getting all "Tacticool" but what should I look for during the initial purchase, what should be my concerns? Alternate suggestions?

Other suggestions that you have will be appreciated.

Thanks for your time in replying.

P.S. I am not necessarily trying to buy all of this stuff at once. I plan on having a big collecting year while I still can collect and in anticipation of not being able to for a while. I also want to buy before another US-Arms Race happens (already starting) with an anti-gun Congress. Money isn't the factor here, quality, reliability, and availability are my concerns. Quite simply, I want the best in preparation for the worst.

*note* A very big thank you to Aubie for all of his help in narrowing this down to some essentials and all of his suggestions and input so far. He's been a huge help to me throughout my gunewbie experience.
    Last edited by D-FENS; January 25th, 2007 at 02:22 PM.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Help a newbie out re: where/what to buy

Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post
    Ok, so I've been reading these forums for a while now but I try to keep to myself because I'm a newb. Now here's my predicament. I'm always asking different folks about different things and I always get different responses and suggestions, which is great but I'm still at a loss with a lot of stuff. What I am asking is for suggestions on some various things like what and where and how.

Below are a few items I would like to pick up while I have the loot and the rights to do so. The question is exactly what should I be picking up and where. FYI, money isn't the object here. I'll spend a little extra to get high quality items, not el-cheapo stuff that I can't get work done on or extra parts for.

FYI, I live in the city and don't get a chance to "plink around" much so I'm more-so getting these items as an exercise of my rights, home defense, and for occasional plinking.

Ak-47 - I'd like one (or 5) for the wall. I've been hearing a lot about ammo availability.
    My Question is: What should I be looking for being that I am interested in high quality production and parts, ammo availability, TCO (total cost of ownership) and where can/should I find this at the best cost-quality ratio. What should my considerations be with a purchase of this firearm?

AR-15 - It's been suggested that I buy a complete upper and lower rather than an assembled unit. I'd like to have one of these for the sake of having one. No reason outside of that.
    My Question: Suggestions on where to buy this? Brands? Considerations when doing so?

Hunting Rifle - It's been suggested that I look into a Tikka Lite .308. This unit will only see the woods for 3 days a year and might see a target here and there til I can find a local range. So it's use will be minimal but I want something that will last me til I am an old man and can pass this on to someone else.
    My Question: What other suggestions do you folks have(make and model)? Caliber suggestions? Where is a good place to find what you suggest?

Shotgun - I've heard many many many times about the 870. I am leaning towards this. This item is for Home Defense
    My Question: Where's the best place to buy and what are the suggested features I should look for when buying. I'll avoid getting all "Tacticool" but what should I look for during the initial purchase, what should be my concerns? Alternate suggestions?

Other suggestions that you have will be appreciated.

Thanks for your time in replying.

P.S. I am not necessarily trying to buy all of this stuff at once. I plan on having a big collecting year while I still can collect and in anticipation of not being able to for a while. I also want to buy before another US-Arms Race happens (already starting) with an anti-gun Congress. Money isn't the factor here, quality, reliability, and availability are my concerns. Quite simply, I want the best in preparation for the worst.

*note* A very big thank you to Aubie for all of his help in narrowing this down to some essentials and all of his suggestions and input so far. He's been a huge help to me throughout my gunewbie experience.
    Well, I am no expert but here is what I have to say since I own one of each listed
    As for you Ak ammo concerns.... It’s a great rifle that will last FOREVER. The best "type" for the price would be a Romanian WASR-10. A lot of people on this site have one and they say nothing but good things. The ammo is not so hard to find, its just the the prices keep going UP.

But if you are looking at a higher quality product, you’d most likely want an AR over a AK. And just like everything in this world, you get what you pay for. So With the rifle being about twice as expensive than a ak, so is the ammo! But you will NEVER have trouble finding .223.

I don’t know a whole lot about Hunting rifles, I do own a couple, But I can give you my experience A .308 is an excellent round, It has pretty much the same ballistics (well maybe a little weaker) than the harder hitting 30-06. But if you will only get a chance to fire it 3 times a year, and you still want a hunting rifle, id suggest a 30-06 caliber. Remington Model 700 comes to mind. It kicks like a mule (well i guess thats the point) and it is major FUN every time!
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Allegheny County)

for the AR, i recommend stag. stag is the retail outlet of CMT (contintenal machine and tool) which makes AR parts for many other AR manufacturers. stag is very high quality for a good price.

as for where, i recommend buying a stag "complete rifle kit" from Joseph Kiser at Kiser Munitions off of the equipment exchange at AR15.com.

here is a link to the complete rifle kit ($639):

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=360233

the complete rifle kit is everything you need except for the stripped lower (which is the part that is actually considered the "gun" by the BATFE and needs to be purchased through an FFL).

jkiser also sells (or at least used to) stripped stag lowers for around $100. i can't find a link for those from him on the equipment exchange right now, but if you call in your order, you can ask him for one of those, too.

if he doesn't have them, you can get one from here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=238706

if jkiser has them in stock, though, it would be easier to just get everything from him and have it all shipped to your FFL. if not, you can have jkiser ship the complete rifle kit to you and just ship the stripped lower to your FFL.

i recommend using (Todd Enos) GunRunnersOfPA here on PAFOA.ORG for the FFL transfer.

so, the easiest thing to do is call up Joseph Kiser and tell him you want a stripped stag lower and a stag complete rifle kit. then PM Todd and have him fax a copy of his FFL to Kiser. then send Kiser the money (or pay be credit card over the phone). when Kiser has the money and Todd's FFL, he will send the lower and complete rifle kit to Todd. Todd will call you and tell you to come out to his place (in North Versailles...about 20 minutes east of Pittsburgh on route 30).

you and Todd will complete the paper work, Todd will run the PICS check on you, you will give Todd $20 and you will leave with your new stag (which will still need to be assembled).

then you give me a call (if you want) and i will help you install the lower parts kit in the stripped lower (easy to do...takes about an hour at most) and then put the lower and upper together (takes about 30 seconds to do). you clean and lube everything as part of putting it all together.

then you (or you and i if you want) put your new AR in your car and head out to the game commission range near the intersection of I79 and route 910 (about 20 minutes north of pittsburgh up 279). you stop at sportsmen's warehouse (off the camp horne exit of 279) along the way to pick up some .223 ammo and targets.

you get to the range and zero your new AR.

that's my recommendation, anyway.

(Allegheny County)

oh...the other thing you might want to add to your list if you do not already have one is a handgun and your LTCF.

(Allegheny County)

As for the shotgun, the 870 sounds like a fine choice.
    Mine's a Mossberg. (the following is from another post to save me typing it again)

It's my "budget" home defense gun. Nothing TOO fancy. Just the features I thought would be beneficial and none of the features I'd LIKE but cost more than I can afford. (or need...Parkerized finish, Heat Shield, etc...)
    My Mossberg details (if anyone CARES!):
    • Model 500 Persuader 12GA. w/factory Ghost Ring sights
    • Added - Tac-Star Weapon Light - pressure switch on pump grip
    • Added - Choate Pistol Grip Stock - Quicker, easier handling in tight quarters & can still be shouldered for aimed fire.
    • Added - Allen, elastic 5 round shell holder. (Just got at K-Mart for $1.99!) Not as "nice" as the ones that are mounted to the gun, but then, I'm not going to be storming any crack-houses either!
    I can't afford (or justify to my wife!) a "combat" shotgun whose "mission" is to wait in the bedroom until I need to defend my family.

A friend had an 870 and it seemed like the pump was smoother than my Mossberg. Don't know if the "newness" of my shotgun had anything to do with it.
    I DO recommend a pistol grip stock. It makes handling a lot easier. and if it's for a HD gun, you would "obviously" want the shorter 18" barrel.
    A weapon mounted light gives you light if you need it. Mine is a "middle of the road one" (price) it's pretty bright, but there are better ones out there.

As for WHERE to buy... You're in Allegheny Co? There are TONS of places to look. Check out a show too, but if you're in the "just looking" stage, going to a gun shop would give you more time to spend asking questions.

Oh! and seeing my SKS above... I know you said money wasn't an issue, but I'll say this anyway, DON'T buy an SKS and try to "make it like an AK"... just get the AK!

Hope that helps!

Here's a site w/some pics of the 870...
    http://world.guns.ru/shotgun/sh17-e.htm

p.s.
    I live in "the city" too...
    Join a club and "plink" away!!!
    (AMMO will cost you more than a membership, so think about it!)

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for all of the replies so far. They're all great.

LittleRedToyota: In response to the handgun and LTCF. I've got an XD-40 and my LTCF this month and another S&W 36 so I am good on handguns for now as I don't get to shoot the ones I have nearly enough. Right now I want to assemble a small collection of essentials. I thank you very much for the offer of assistance and hope to take you up on it in some capacity. I'll gladly compensate you for your time and take you out for the best food in Pittsburgh (Johnny's Place!)

Thanks a bunch for all of the referrals/links to the goodies. I appreciate them very much.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Adams County)

I'll make a suggestion for a hunting rifle that I make whenever asked.

Look into the Savage model 10 or 110 (short action/ long action). Read about it, listen to other say how it is one of the most accurate rifle right out of the box. go to savageshooters.net and read up on switching barrels on the same action to have essentially numerous rifles.

Once you decide if you like it, look at the price and then go find a Stevens Model 200. Made by savage, same action as the 10/110s, the only difference is it is only available in a synthetic stock, doesn't come with an Accutrigger (you can get an aftermarket trigger for under $80 that is said to be better than the ACCU), and costs under $300. I know you said money isn't a concern, but you can spend $700 on a Tikka, or spend $280 on a stevens and put a $300 scope on it and still have enough dough for a few boxes of ammo. Bud's gun shop has the Stevens in all the calibers for around $249 plus $30 for shipping. I bought the 30.06, but you can get everything common from 223, 243, 22-250, 25-06, 7mm-08, 270, 308, 30-06 and 300win mag. All for under $300.

(Chester County)

I can only speak to two of your questions -- I don't do the whole assault rifle thing, other than my $89 SKS.

As far as the Tikka hunting rifles go. I'd suggest you skip the "Lite" version and go with a regular weight wood stocked Tikka T3 in .308. I have a T3 in .243 Win that shoots sub MOA with factory ammo. It's basically a laser gun inside of 300 yards and all you'll ever need unless you're hunting Moose or dangerous game. .243 Win is fine for Elk, before you ask

The trigger is user adjustable with a little allen key -- not that you need to mess with it much -- it's about perfect from the factory. I've never owned a hunting rifle I liked as much as I like the T3. I don't like the recoil on the Lite version in .308. I paid about $550 for mine, new, a year or two ago.

As far as home defense shotguns. Get the 870 Express, 12 ga., 18.5" barrel, cylinder choke. I paid $199 for mine (used, fired twice) a few years ago. Great gun.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Allegheny County)

I'll gladly compensate you for your time and take you out for the best food in Pittsburgh (Johnny's Place!)
    no need to compensate me. i'm happy to help and anything i can do to promote legal evil black rifle ownership among pittsburghers is it's own reward...the more of us there are, the less likely it is they will ever be banned (in the event state pre-emption goes away).

johnny's sounds good, though. haven't been there in a couple of years. johnny definitely has great food...i don't know if i'd say it's better than lot 17 (on liberty ave in bloomfield) or smokin joe's (on carson street in the south side), though.

if you haven't tried either of those places, definitely do so.

of course, imho, the absolute best food in the 'burgh is to be had at tram's kitchen on penn avenue...but you have to like vietnamese food for that.

anyway, just PM me if you decide you want to get an AR and want help putting it together.

good luck with whatever you ultimately decide on.

(Allegheny County)

I can only speak to two of your questions -- I don't do the whole assault rifle thing, other than my $89 SKS.
    Sorry, Not "bashing" you and don't mean to cut in, but PLEASE don't feed the bears!
    The SKS isn't an "assault rifle" any more than an M1 Garand is.
    (The gun-ban folk LOVE to call them that - lots of people don't know any different)
    Let's not "help" them by using their terminology!

Thanks! I feel better now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast