Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default New to the Scranton area, looking for some advice

Hey all - long time listener, first time caller, as they say...

I just moved to Clark's Summit about 2 weeks ago, looking for advice on a place to go shoot as well as any local shops you might recommend...

I was a member at an indoor range in Philly (where I just moved from), which I enjoyed going to every other week or so... Anything like that around here? I haven't been able to find anything online...

I fell into the 'gun enthusiast' category about a year and a half ago... All handguns so far, but now that I'm up here with some actual land around, was thinking about taking up hunting a little bit - maybe some water fowl/turkeys first, then move into deer (mmm love me some venison). I never got to hunt as a kid, so it's all new to me - i'll take whatever advice you all have on what to buy, how to start, etc...

Anyway, thanks in advance for helping me get acclimated to my new home, and I look forward to being a more active member here in the forums!

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: New to the Scranton area, looking for some advice

Well welcome to PAFOA & Lacakwanna County, the county that only makes u wait 20 minutes for your LTCF (Really im not kidding).

Im from Lackawanna county and I work in Clarks Summit. There is a PGC shooting range in Archibald (you need a range permit or a hunting license to shoot at it). The Lackawanna Sheriff is VERY 2A friendly.

If u have any questions just shoot me a PM or if u would like to shoot some day in archibald le tme know id be happy to meet u up there for a few "Rounds"

Rob

(Lackawanna County)

Arrow Re: New to the Scranton area, looking for some advice

Welcome!

As mentioned earlier, there's the Archbald range and another close public range is in Tobyhanna. Check out the PA game commission web site for public range locations and directions. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=620410&mode=2

You can purchase a range permit here https://www.pa.wildlifelicense.com/start.php

For local gun shops I'd recommend Big Rich American Sports Shop http://www.bigrichguns.com 570-558-0300 in Scranton and J&G Sports Center in Throop 570-383-0759. J&G has a great selection of everything in their store but they're a bit in the high side. Big Rich has great prices but does most of his sales through his web site. Both will take good care of you.

For local private ranges check out the Scranton Rifle and Pistol Club www.scrantonrpclub.com and the Factoryville Sportsman's Club http://www.fscweb.org/

Get in touch with me if you're looking for a shooting buddy or someone to introduce you to the local gun shops.

(Lackawanna County)

No indoor ranges in Scranton, unless you're LEO. Then, you can shoot at STARR Uniform. If you don't mind SGL ranges, there's one in Archbald.

As far as gunshops in the area, there's Bill's Sporting Goods on Main St. and West Market St, J&G's Sporting Goods on Sanderson Ave in Throop, Zellers in Throop, Gun Toters in Eynon, Gander Mountain, and Walmart. Big Rich's is kind of a dive gunshop, in my opinion. J&G probably has the biggest selection of in town, but his pricing is sketchy.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mollymayhem82 View Post
    No indoor ranges in Scranton, unless you're LEO. Then, you can shoot at STARR Uniform. If you don't mind SGL ranges, there's one in Archbald.

As far as gunshops in the area, there's Bill's Sporting Goods on Main St. and West Market St, J&G's Sporting Goods on Sanderson Ave in Throop, Zellers in Throop, Gun Toters in Eynon, Gander Mountain, and Walmart. Big Rich's is kind of a dive gunshop, in my opinion. J&G probably has the biggest selection of in town, but his pricing is sketchy.
    Gun Toters is definitely the next best for overall selection in both firearms and supplies but they're also on the high side.

Bill's hasn't been the same for firearms or shooting supplies in general since Teddy senior was killed by a gun accident. His son and wife just don't have their hearts in it anymore. They're great people but it's just not the same.

Yes, I agree the Big Rich has a "dive" place but he's a good guy. His prices are more than fair and he knows his firearms. If he doesn't have it he'll order it and if you buy something on GunBroker.com he'll allow you to ship it to him and he'll only charge you a $20 fee for the transfer.

Wal-Mart doesn't deal in handguns at all. Their pricing on ammo is fair but you'll be lucky if you can find anything in stock for very long. You'd have to travel there on a daily basis to find any good plinking ammo.

And then there's our friends at Gander Mountain. They have a relatively decent selection but their pricing is also high. Sometimes you'll get a good ammo sale but firearms are a different story. For example the Smith & Wesson 22A at Gander Mountain was $279 on sale. Big Rich has the same model on his web site for $217.

(Lackawanna County)

Take a ride to Pittston and visit Advanced Arms. I'm from the other end of Lackawanna County, and trips to this shop in Pittston are always worth my while.

There is also a SGL Range off the Tobyhanna exit of I-380. A little farther than the one in Archibald, but much nicer in my opinion...especially the pistol side.

There is an indoor range in Stroudsburg (Pocono Pistol)...a little bit of a hike from Clark Summit though.

The Lackawanna Sheriff is very 2A friendly. Parking at the court house takes longer than the actual LTCF processing, he'll sign form 4's, and I'm proud to say like me he's a Democrat.

Welcome to the area.

(Lackawanna County)

Hi new neighbor!
    I too usually go to either J&G sports in Throop on Sanderson Ave, or Gun Toters in Eynon on Betty St. Both are less than 10 minutes from Clarks Summit. Advanced Arms in Pittston is another great store but a little further away.
    Factoryville Sportsmans club is a nice club not too expensive and is usually empty on the weekdays, but weekends it can get crowded since they hold a lot of events.
    If I want to go to the indoor range for pistol shooting, I head up Rt 6 into Wayne county and go to Heberlings Sports Shop near Honesdale, they have a good indoor range for a reasonable fee. About 35-40 minutes from CS.
    Good luck!
    I'm faster than Doc Holliday (with Novocaine of course)

(Lackawanna County)

Thanks for the info everyone - I am going to try to get over to Archibald or maybe Tobyhanna in the next couple of weeks or so.. And I've definitely heard some good things about Advanced Arms - I'll have to check that out sometime soon...

I have to say, I'm surprised there arent more ranges around here - coming from Philly, I was a member at an indoor range that was literally 5 mins from my house - and there were at least 5 other indoor ranges within a 10 minute drive from there... Now i guess I just need to make friends with someone who has a lot of property up this way and see if I can use their land for some shooting!

I'd love to find a late afternoon or something to meet a few people over at Archibald or whatever... Been busy remodeling the house in all my spare time (a nightmare, BTW), but wouldn't mind getting out for a little shooting fun... Any days/times that are generally good?