Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Intricacies of buying guns - questions

I'm ready to buy our first guns. I'm going to handle the purchase cause my wife is still weirded out about going to the gun shop .....

I will be giving her a pistol as a gift which I believe is acceptable under pa law ( correct me if I'm wrong please )

Here's the question is there any benefit to buying the two guns on separate occasions? Or can I buy two at one time?

I'll be buying ruger sp101 pistols in .357 and .22 cal.

Thanks!

Default Re: Intricacies of buying guns - questions

No benefit I can think of to waiting between purchases.

I wouldn't announce to the gun shop that you are buying the gun for your wife because he may think straw purchase. Although it's fine to purchase them yourself and give one to your wife at a later date it may weird the ffl out especially if he does not know you. The question on the paperwork does make it clear that purchasing the gun as a gift for your spouse is OK(provided they are not prohibited).
    FUCK BIDEN

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by hb2u View Post
    I'm ready to buy our first guns. I'm going to handle the purchase cause my wife is still weirded out about going to the gun shop .....

I will be giving her a pistol as a gift which I believe is acceptable under pa law ( correct me if I'm wrong please )

Here's the question is there any benefit to buying the two guns on separate occasions? Or can I buy two at one time?

I'll be buying ruger sp101 pistols in .357 and .22 cal.

Thanks!
    Buying two at a time:

Plus - maybe $$ discount; one PICS check.

Minus - FFL reports multiple sale (2 or more firearms in 5 calendar days) to ATF.
    Last edited by tl_3237; July 15th, 2014 at 06:43 PM.
    IANAL

(Delaware County)

My take would be, if you buy two handguns within 5 business days, the FFL must fill out a form and send it to local PD. Avoid this if possible. Question 11 on the 4473 was just in the news via SCOTUS. You should be fine since it as a true gift which satisfies fed law and can be presented to your wife without breaking PA law.

Nothing's simple anymore...

(York County)

I'm a little concerned that she's weirded out about the gun store. Is she also weirded out owning guns? Maybe you should address that before bringing any guns into the home.
    None of this is my business and please don't feel obligated to answer. Just food for thought.

(Bucks County)

My wife only gets weirded out going to the gun store because she knows one of us is going to spend some money.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by hb2u View Post
    What exactly is your wife "weirded out" by?

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    The question on the paperwork does make it clear that purchasing the gun as a gift for your spouse is OK(provided they are not prohibited).
    I've filled out many of these forms and don't recall ever seeing anything like that. I'll have to look for that the next time I buy.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by kimtyson View Post
    I'm a little concerned that she's weirded out about the gun store. Is she also weirded out owning guns? Maybe you should address that before bringing any guns into the home.
    None of this is my business and please don't feel obligated to answer. Just food for thought.
    +1. Though it's funny that my wife complains about me having guns, but the minute she feels like we're in a sketchy area or feels venerable- what's the first question she ask me? "Do you have a gun on you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    My wife only gets weirded out going to the gun store because she knows one of us is going to spend some money.
    So it's really YOU that weirds her out.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the info and advice.

As far as being weirded out by the gun store, we're in the mArket for guns for self defense, not as a hobby. We're really actually reluctant gun owners, having been forced to make the decision to protect ourselves and children from some bad elements that have appeared in our neighborhood.

Our experience as we've learned more about handguns is that a lot of people that use them are really, really enthusiastic about them and we just aren't.

Going to the gun store for us is like a democrat looking for a change and going to a tea party rally . It can be too much to take. Besides that, she's a pretty little lady and has the typical pr oblems with clerks when doings that may be perceived as a manly task( buying guns, inspecting houses , taking a car to the mechanic etc.) so if I can step in and help her avoid some aggravation I will.

We have gone through an 8 hr training and safety course, but even that was peppered with a whole lot of NRA propaganda, which was ridiculous since we were there and paid a lot of money to get the trainin, so we're already on their side, right?!

Anyway , we'll learn to deal with our hang ups as we go along this road .

Thanks again for all the good advice- looks like it's best to space out the purchases.

HB

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast