Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default State Game Land Ranges

I know many out there do not like or go the SGL ranges. For those that do, remember to get your range permit if you do not have a hunting license. I saw a few fines and warning handed out last year.

This thread is not a criticism of the game commission or the ranges themselves, just trying to save some folks from a fine.
    Last edited by Iron Sights; July 13th, 2014 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Added to comment

(Beaver County)

Default Re: State Game Land Ranges

Haven't been to one in a long time. One must pay a fee to shoot at a run down range?
    'It is Their Right, It is Their Duty, To Throw Off Such Government '

The range fee is $30.00 for a year and you only need it if you do not have a hunting license.

(Lancaster County)

I was at the French Creek range yesterday. Everyone was well behaved. The WCO showed up to observe. He noticed someone had put up a swinging target at 50' on the 100 yard range and said it had to go. Then he started checking licenses/permits. I was surprised how many people were not aware of the requirement. He just gave out warnings to the 1st group. The next guy who was waiting to hang his target got mouthy about "being a PA resident and paying taxes, etc..." The WCO explained that tax $ do not fund the PGC. Big Mouth continued to shoot off at the mouth and the WCO made him leave. I didn't see whether he got a ticket or not but I don't think so.

The range permit is $30. Seems to me, even if you don't hunt, you may as well buy a hunting license.......you never know when you may change your mind about hunting.

(Allegheny County)

I use to shoot at the Burgettstown range before they closed it. Thank you to the idiots that thought it was fun to shoot up the support posts that held the back boards that you posted your targets on. I bet the guys that thought it fun to be morons aren't laughing, now that the range has been shut down.

This change in the Game Commission range fees is a good thing for all of us.
    It will keep the losers off the ranges. $20.50 for a hunting license is pretty cheap for the use of the ranges as well as a year of hunting.

(Schuylkill County)

Good morning,

I'm new here (this is my first post) so please don't give me the business like the new guy who posted about Dick's. By the way I know why Obama does not shop at Sports Authority. He prefers Dick's.

Back to topic. My wife and I go to the SGL outside of Mainville near Bloomsburg. This is a very nice facility. The people who go there have always been nice to us.

We've only been shooting about three years and used to go to the range near Hazleton but that place was never cleaned up very well and the people there were rude at times.

We do not consider the $30.00 too much what with all we get out of it. By the way that one permit for $30 allows the holder to take a guest. I didn't know that the first year and bought two permits.

I used to buy "shoot n' see" targets but now I make my own. Cheap and easy.

Barry

(Berks County)

Just a heads up that you must have taken and passed a hunter safety course in order to buy a hunting license. With the new license being online is easier than ever for the wco to verify if you have passed the course. Is $9.50 worth breaking the law and facing more fines.

(Philadelphia County)

was thinking about buying a license for the state game ranges but after reading the rules it looks like i can only load 3 rounds at a time. is that right?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    was thinking about buying a license for the state game ranges but after reading the rules it looks like i can only load 3 rounds at a time. is that right?
    Yes, except at ranges designated for "handguns":

58 Pa. Code § 135.181 (b)(6) [prohibited] Possess, load or discharge a firearm that contains more than three rounds of single projectile ammunition, except as provided in subsection (c).
    58 Pa. Code § 135.181 (c) Exceptions for a handgun range. At a Commission range specifically designated as a handgun range, it is permitted for an individual to load and discharge a handgun containing a maximum of six rounds of single projectile ammunition at any one time. Other rules and regulations pertaining to shooting ranges under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction shall be in effect.
    Last edited by tl_3237; June 12th, 2015 at 11:37 AM.
    IANAL

The fee seems fair to me. Years ago I used to shoot at Nockimixon before it closed. Idiots were constantly shooting up the back boards and leaving trash. Also ran across my fair share of wackos there as well. Got fed up and joined a private club...no more issues.

I noticed a large number of SGL users at the time came over the river from NJ so - taxes argument debate aside - you know they were getting a free ride. I can see why the fee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast