Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Know the law?

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    You're correct, NJ laws are very vague so criminals get off and innocent spend billions in lawyers and fines.

Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home... Nothing in [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)]subsection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land. Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property.

HP ammo is legal to buy and transport between home and range, and can be used as SD ammo. The illegal part is when used in the commission of a crime - it adds years to the sentence.
    Un-excepted possession IS the crime. I'm not aware of any penalty enhancement due to their use adjunctly to another criminal act.
    IANAL

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 90volts View Post
    I saw this story the other day and it was said that the possession charge was being thrown out and she was going to have to pay a fine for each bullet. Unless it was another woman in the exact same situation

To everyone who has said "how didn't she know" I'll tell you. Because they (sheriff dept) does not give that info. The first time I got my ltcf I am very glad I never carried because I could see having gotten myself into a real legal mess inadvertently. I had no idea about the laws. The sheriffs department handed out a little pamphlet and apparently it was full of anti type info.. Propaganda.

The second time I got my ltcf I asked the lady about the laws and she said it would be a good idea to get some training and they do not give out any info related to carrying. Really? They issue a license without having any info available? That's ridiculous. So I took a course. No mention of jersey or New York or anything like that. Just safe gun handling and shooting time. 2nd level course was a little more info but still not much about concealing, laws etc. 3rd level was finally dealing with concealing, law and neighboring states. And even then, I learned a hundred times more info in my first couple of weeks on this site.

I wish the state would put out a booklet with good info on carrying since they require us to purchase the license. So where the hell is the money going for the license then? What is it , like 40 bucks now? For a $1.50 laminated card. Where the rest go?
    This RARELY happens so I believe most accountable gun owners do their research. Holding others responsible for your "actions" is the very reason this country is the way it is... it's called personal responsibility. Can we know everything? No! But a 30 second search can tell you A LOT!
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

(Delaware County)

Has anyone on this site gone online and done a search about driving laws? Or did you learn with the booklet that penndot hands out to everyone applying for a license?

I agree in personal responsibility and attaining the info, but I also be.over that a licensing authority should provide the law upon request at least. Think drivers license, hunting license or fishing license. Why is carrying a firearm different?

Like I said, I had my license for five years and had no idea what the law was or about this site. I knew what I was told at ranges and gun stores and a lot of the info was no good I came to find out. I had my present license for over a year when I finally stumbled across this site.. By accident. Thank goodness I did is all I can say. If only we could get this info out to all.

Quote Originally Posted by G17-5291 View Post
    If the cop even told her she was wrong to tell him about it he must have felt bad. Why didn't he just tell her to get back across the border ASAP and to never do it again?
    My thoughts as well. We all know that cops don't always give tickets when laws are broken. He would have been able to see her history on the computer. And that she was a law abiding citizen that just made a mistake. This cop has no heart.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

One of my instructors told me that if I was to decide to carry a firearm, it was of the utmost importance that I avoid stupid people doing stupid things in stupid places at stupid times.

I submit that this means avoiding New Jersey at all times nowadays.

The problem with the varying laws and the mentally imbalanced that pass them are they are so varied from place to place and even passed in the middle of the night. I do agree you have to look them up before you go anywhere but it is psychotic in my opinion to hold an honest citizen criminally liable for not complying with their useless idiotic laws.

Personally I avoid places like that, they don't want my business and they have higher crime anyway.

Special kind of stupid these mental midgets are, they are tuning this woman's life and her kids are gonna suffer.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DoverDad View Post
    Thanks for the helpful reply to a new member and relatively new gun owner. I'm glad you knew all NJ laws straight out of the womb, you're a lucky man. I'll refrain from asking questions to learn in the future.

It's not a place I spend time in...there's enough NJers moving here...don't need to drive to experience their d-baggery.

edit: Seems clear as mud.

http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_hollow.html
    "Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home."

http://m14forum.com/ammunition/12623...ew-jersey.html

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=334004
    You're welcome.

Sorry, can't turn the sarcasm off and that was a slow hanger right up the middle.
    It has been discussed here ad nauseum in the past.

The only thing you have to know about NJ laws is that anything fun, cool or constitutionally protected is illegal.

It's a silly place, don't ever go there if you can help it.

I'm actually about to leave for that shithole right now. Please pray for me.

(Allegheny County)

Going into NJ is like traveling into another county.

The unintended consequences of poorly word Law that was claimed as common sense and need to be used against criminals strikes again.

this song says where this is going sooner or later

Johnny Cash - Goin' By The Book

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEyujOSEexM
    Learn how to really SUPPORT the 2nd Amendment cause Go To http://www.foac-pac.org/

Citizens are literally incapable of being familiar with ALL of the laws that apply to them, including federal laws, laws of their home state, and the laws of every state where they may travel.

Honestly, who here has done a comprehensive review of New Jersey laws (as amended to date) before spending a day at the Jersey shore?

You may think that you know the laws, or that you should reasonably be put on notice of things that might be illegal. I'd wager that less than half of Philadelphia residents know that it's illegal to carry a knife in Philly, any knife, even a Swiss Army knife.

The laws are so complex and so unreadable to the layman, that even Congress can't manage to read the bills before enacting them into law. And that's their full-time job. Most citizens have other things to do.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by libra8 View Post
    My thoughts as well. We all know that cops don't always give tickets when laws are broken. He would have been able to see her history on the computer. And that she was a law abiding citizen that just made a mistake. This cop has no heart.
    Nothing to do with heart. Some things you can use discretion and give a warning. Indictable offenses are not as easy.

I also found the more serious the offense I gave a break for, the stronger the bite in my ass later on.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast