Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Mercer County)

Default Re: Buying new pistol. Need help

I'm glad y'all approve. I guess my gun shopping is like my performance in the bedroom. I get so excited and I finish earlier than expected.
    I found a local range that did rental guns. I tried both the lcp and tcp. I liked the tcp trigger a lot more and the lcp just didn't feel that great in my big hands. I bought a rubber grip and a grip extension for the Tcp to make it feel better and I probably will throw a sweat pea trigger on it. I did like shooting the gun. Very simple to use, comfortable, nothing flashy. It's a solid tool that does what it's supposed to do. That's what I wanted and that's what it does. I'm very glad with my purchase. Now to buy a home defense semi auto shotgun in another few months.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia patriot View Post
    I agree. You can't go wrong with LCP. I have been VERY happy with mine.
    Only suggestion would be to pony up extra $27, and get Stainless one

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...380ACP+2.75%22

LCP was suggested to me by several local police officers, as well as shooters who actually carries them day in and day out. None of them complained of its reliability. But all of them complained about blued model developing some minor rust.

I got the Stainless one
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    I agree. You can't go wrong with LCP. I have been VERY happy with mine.
    Only suggestion would be to pony up extra $27, and get Stainless one

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...380ACP+2.75%22

LCP was suggested to me by several local police officers, as well as shooters who actually carries them day in and day out. None of them complained of its reliability. But all of them complained about blued model developing some minor rust.

I got the Stainless one

Everyone I know completely love their LCP. I never heard complaints about the tcp. They are both great guns probably the lcp even better though. Seems like most popular .380s are kel-tec, TCP, and LCP. I tried a desert eagle .380 and that was the biggest POS I ever held. Nice looking but was like a 16lb trigger pull

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by wakefield724 View Post
    Everyone I know completely love their LCP. I never heard complaints about the tcp. They are both great guns probably the lcp even better though. Seems like most popular .380s are kel-tec, TCP, and LCP. I tried a desert eagle .380 and that was the biggest POS I ever held. Nice looking but was like a 16lb trigger pull
    My friend's wife is police officer in NY, and she bought TCP as a off duty carry gun.
    She had nothing but the problem with them. Sent it back X3 or so.
    I guess if your LEO, you'll get it back much faster then the rest of us. But still...

Only reason why she still have it, I guess because selling a pistol in NY privately is such a pain in the ass process.

She got her TCP back when it first came out. SO that may have something to do with its poor reliability. I guess newer ones are okay
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lackawanna County)

I have the TCP, and while it fits the 'pocket gun' requirements, I would not trust it if I had to aim more than 3 feet away... The sights are so low profile and the radius so short that pointing it in a general direction seems to be more accurate than actually trying to aim with the sights!

I picked up a Sig P938 a few months back, once I felt completely confident with the 1911 platform, and LOVE it. You could look at the P238 to save a few ounces as well as dollars. You should be able to pick one up for right around $500, as well, and it is a gorgeous gun that you can also enjoy shooting...

Of course, it's pricier than others you are considering, and a single-action only gun, but it might be worth looking at if nothing else...

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan938 View Post
    I have the TCP, and while it fits the 'pocket gun' requirements, I would not trust it if I had to aim more than 3 feet away... The sights are so low profile and the radius so short that pointing it in a general direction seems to be more accurate than actually trying to aim with the sights!

I picked up a Sig P938 a few months back, once I felt completely confident with the 1911 platform, and LOVE it. You could look at the P238 to save a few ounces as well as dollars. You should be able to pick one up for right around $500, as well, and it is a gorgeous gun that you can also enjoy shooting...

Of course, it's pricier than others you are considering, and a single-action only gun, but it might be worth looking at if nothing else...
    That's kind of a surprise to me. I and another member at my gun club were both shooting our TCPs one day at IDPA targets and were easily shooting full magazines in the A zone, center mass and head, at 21 feet. I don't envision shooting at greater distances. Three feet is laughable, since I rarely shoot anything other than my semiauto 22lr pistol. I did put a dab of white fingernail polish on the front sight of my TCP, and it took me about 100 rounds to get to this point, but I neve had a problem at least hitting paper at 15 to 20 feet.

(Philadelphia County)

I would also suggest the Bersa Thunder.380. I paid about $285 for mine and it turned out to be a very nice firearm despite its modest price. It's become one of my two favorite conceal-carry pieces.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    That's kind of a surprise to me. I and another member at my gun club were both shooting our TCPs one day at IDPA targets and were easily shooting full magazines in the A zone, center mass and head, at 21 feet. I don't envision shooting at greater distances. Three feet is laughable, since I rarely shoot anything other than my semiauto 22lr pistol. I did put a dab of white fingernail polish on the front sight of my TCP, and it took me about 100 rounds to get to this point, but I neve had a problem at least hitting paper at 15 to 20 feet.
    I talked to a gun shop owner about them recently. a few years ago they were garbage. he sold 50 and had to send 20 back to factory for repair. he stopped carrying them in his store. One day a Taurus rep talked to him and explained they got all the kinks worked out. He started selling again and havent had 1 that needed to be sent back..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12