Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default Article on caliber. Interesting read

Yeah, it will start the 45 vs 9mm war again. But it may also teach someone out there some things they did not know. Lots of good facts. Debunks some of the myths. Enjoy and let the discussion begin.

http://stevereichert.com/srs-handgun...hoice-and-why/
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Article on caliber. Interesting read

This might be a bit old. But I still believe its relevant.

Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness

More about the use of handguns of all defensive calibers, their strong points, weak points and a bit about technique.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Westmoreland County)

He obviously has a personal bias but then again, don't we all.

My opinion regarding the terminal performance of handgun cartridges is that with modern bullet design, there isn't much difference in performance when typical SD calibers are shot into test medium (calibrated gelatin).

But given that handgun ammunition is notoriously poor at stopping human aggression, if I had a choice, I'd want a bigger bullet. When you factor in all of the odds that can work against you such as a mixed density medium (bone vs. tissue), type of clothing, target movement or failure of the bullet to expand as designed for various reasons, etc., my preference is to optimize my chances for creating maximum tissue damage.

I don't feel disadvantaged carrying a 9mm but carrying a .45 is, shall we say, comforting.

(Lancaster County)

Are there really a lot, I mean a lot, of instances of an aggressor being shot and continuing to fight?

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Are there really a lot, I mean a lot, of instances of an aggressor being shot and continuing to fight?
    Yes.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

A lot less if drugs and alcohol were never invented.

I don't have the link now but there was a case handy where cops shot a guy dozens of times until he was finally lost enough blood to stop. If memory serves me right he took a lot of hits from a .40 or .45 pistol rounds along with quite a few 5.56.

I think it was in Florida, a motorcycle gang member was shot over 50 times through the torso and kept on riding, at one point, it was realized that he must have been dead but kept on riding because of throttle lock, police realized this when they saw a hole in the body large enough to see through.

Never the less, they do know from that experience that the human body will take quite a beating if on a substance that alters the mind.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Cambria County)

Probably a lot more than of them being shot once and NOT falling down. Read the second entry in this article. It does a good job of explaining calibers and the "lack" of reliable stopping ability.
    Last edited by Mtbkski; July 10th, 2014 at 09:57 AM.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    He obviously has a personal bias but then again, don't we all.

My opinion regarding the terminal performance of handgun cartridges is that with modern bullet design, there isn't much difference in performance when typical SD calibers are shot into test medium (calibrated gelatin).
    Agreed. When you actually compare rounds, there really isn't that big of a difference. There is some, but it is very small. But hey, even the tiniest bit may help you out.

But given that handgun ammunition is notoriously poor at stopping human aggression, if I had a choice, I'd want a bigger bullet. When you factor in all of the odds that can work against you such as a mixed density medium (bone vs. tissue), type of clothing, target movement or failure of the bullet to expand as designed for various reasons, etc., my preference is to optimize my chances for creating maximum tissue damage.
    Agreed, but when you read the stuff that is out any more, they are all agreeing that "tissue damage" isn't that big a deal. It causes bleeding, but that it takes to long for this to do any real damage. It really is shot placement and hitting vital organs, of which they all seem to agree is the brain or the spinal column. And that is about it.

I don't feel disadvantaged carrying a 9mm but carrying a .45 is, shall we say, comforting.
    Honestly, that is what I think it is the most. What makes you feel comfortable. If your confident in your round, that will help. If you don't like the 9mm, you should use something bigger. If your confident in the 9mm then you will more than likely shoot it well in a crisis situation. And shooting it well is what it is all about. One round of 22 hitting a target is way better than 4 rounds of 45 missing.

(Bucks County)

Just another personal opinion on HIS justification for carrying 9mm...

you could swap tons of those words around and insert .40, .45, .357, etc and still have the same viable reason switched around for your reason to carry those calibers...

he tried to break it down in terms of difference in size mathmatically, what he doesnt give credit to the fact that is some people dont die because it was 0.3" left of a main vital organ etc..

He also tried to say that .45 recoil is this uncontrolable beast compared to 9mm and anyone that has shot a lot of both could easily say otherwise (i know i can, i actually prefer the recoil of .45 over most calibers)

They're all proven rounds, and they've all proven to be uneffective at times...there is no magic bullet (but dont tell that to the cia ) and its personal choice for whatever justitication you come to mind with yourself
    Last edited by Svickstc; July 10th, 2014 at 10:13 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast