Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Citadel 1911 Upgrades

Last week I bought a Citadel 1911 at Cabela's. First I want to brag, I have 300 rounds of ball ammo through it with 150 being reloads without a single FTF or FTE. Definitely happy with the purchase the only negative is one of the two magazines the pistol came with seats to far up in the chamber and the slide will not come forward.

Anyways I plan on using this as a CC weapon. I first want to have night sights put on and wanted a suggestion on what to go with. Other than getting Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick magazines is there any other upgrades I should consider?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Citadel 1911 Upgrades

If it has the novak style sights then you already have a model which has a modern beaver tail. There are a lot of different sights available. About the only thing that you might want would be an extended slide stop and safety or an ambi safety. I have had a lot of them come thru the shop every one shot well. You might want a nice set of VZ grips etc. Over all they are nice shooters congrats on your new handgun.
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Juniata County)

In the meantime I would checkout http://glow-on.com.

Pretty inexpensive; I am very impressed with how well it has worked on my cit. 1911 given cost & the fact it has been on a year now without noticeable wear.

Btw, mine likes hornady critical defense & duty rounds without feed problems.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

I have one and like it. I put new grips on it just to make it look nice. They do not like flat point ammo, the manual tells you that. I tried some an got a lot of FTFs.
    Ball ammo is another story, I've put at least 700 rounds of lead or FMJ ball through mine with out any trouble.
    20 years USN - OSC

(Montgomery County)

Congrats on a 1911 that won't bankrupt you before you even shoot it.

I'd be pissed about the magazine. Call the store and demand a replacement. Then start looking for Wilson Combat mags for regular use and especially for carry.

Congratulations on joining the 1911 fraternity. They're really great guns. I have three of them.

As Brian said, yours probably has Novak style cuts, so your options for sights is are pretty large. There's everything from brass bead (probably my favorite) to fiber optic, to tritium for front and almost as many choices for the rear.

I like the G10 grips like VZ or Larry Davidsons; although The rumor is that Larry may be calling it quits. Wood looks nice, but The G10 s are pretty much indestructible & provide a better grip than most wood grips.

As for mags, I have a few Springfields & a bunch of Chip Mc Power Mags & Wilson 47ds. I have a preference for the Wilson 47ds just because it sounds like a bra size.

You've probably gotten the field strip proceedure down by now. If you don't know how to detail strip it yet, learn. There are a few You Tube videos showing the proceedure. 1911 s aren't plastic, so unprotected parts can rust. If they're not detail stripped from time to time, you may get an unpleasant surprise some day.

These guns are pretty tolerant of being run dirty, but they need to be kept lubricated. Run 'er wet! Look for wear/witness marks & that's where the grease or oil goes. A good guide is: If it slides, it needs grease. If it rotates, it needs oil.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by IronButt; July 11th, 2014 at 09:09 AM.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell