Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default AK47 barrel threading?

Can anyone or does anyone know of someone that can thread and install a A1 (birdcage style) flash hider for me? I got a estimate from a local gun shop to do it and it came to be $200 for it and he said he would have to remove the barrel?

My Gun

Attachment 2317

What I want done

Attachment 2318

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AK47 barrel threading?

what a ripoff. better off just doing it yourself..
    http://www.shop.preciseinnovationsll...1&productId=75

(Northumberland County)

is your bbl already threaded??

if not, yes, youll need to thread it. id reccomend the proper m14x1lh, if possible.

ifn it is, you do not need to rethread it in 1/2x28 (??iirc) for an a1 fh. they sell that style already threaded and bored out to work on st ak threads.

i think cope's has them.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

If you want to mount a silencer on the end of your barrel, then pay the money and have the barrel removed and threaded concentric to the bore. You don't want baffle strikes due to an off-center or misaligned threading job.

On the other hand, if you're just going to put a 1" flash hider on the end, then you don't need so much precision. I bought the die & alignment tool and threaded mine, works fine.

(Northumberland County)

is your bbl already threaded??

if not, what size is the front of the muzzle??

some of the ones without threads have had the existing threads turned off of the bbl, in which case, you wont get a propper m14x1lh thread on it and will likley have to go with a 1/2" thread.

also, some rifles with "perminant" muzzle devices on were just welded/pinned on. the weld can be ground off, or the pin removed, and there will be threads underneath.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

(York County)

Can anyone or does anyone know of someone that can thread and install a A1 (birdcage style) flash hider for me? I got a estimate from a local gun shop to do it and it came to be $200 for it and he said he would have to remove the barrel?
    Can you get a closer pic of the end of your SAR1? I'll check my SAR2 tonight but I thought they were already threaded. If not, I'll find the instructions and I already have the die for it. I ordered it from KVAR and didn't use it. As someone already mentioned, it's an m14x1 left handed thread.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pector55 View Post
    Can you get a closer pic of the end of your SAR1? I'll check my SAR2 tonight but I thought they were already threaded. If not, I'll find the instructions and I already have the die for it. I ordered it from KVAR and didn't use it. As someone already mentioned, it's an m14x1 left handed thread.
    It looks like between the gas block and front sight it might be slightly threaded but i wouldn't imagine its enough to hold anything on, but after the front sight to the end of the barrel is completly smooth. U ran run your finger nail against it an feel nothing.

If you feel comfortable threading a barrel, i can come to you and offer you some money to thread it for me, lol