Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Transferring from son to dad

I bought a 9mm from son what do I have to do somebody told me nothing,do I have to register ?also my dad brought a gun back from germany probably hidden back then it was in the 40s.I want to know on both questions
    1 do I have to transfer when son to dad with same name ?

2.My gun that was my dads brought here from germany is legal for me to carry
    this gun I have a concealed carry licence.

Default Re: Transferring from son to dad

Quote Originally Posted by Mikomi-1 View Post
    I bought a 9mm from son what do I have to do somebody told me nothing,do I have to register ?

There is no registration in PA so you do not have to register the gun. Since it came from your son you do not have to go to a FFL to get it transferred. Here's a link to the applicable statute. (Edit to add:assuming you both live in Pa)

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...r-of-firearms/

Some people go to a FFL for a father son transfer so that they have a paper trail of the gun. Not needed, but is up to you.
    Last edited by internet troll; July 9th, 2014 at 08:17 AM.

(Montgomery County)

I personally think it's a great idea to have a couple guns with no paper trail, just in case we have a confiscation event like Australia had. If they don't know you have it, they won't know to look for it.

I personally wouldn't carry such a gun unless it was easily replaceable. If you have to defend yourself with it, you will probably have it confiscated for evidence and may never see it again without jumping through legal hoops. That's why I carry Glocks. They are typically cheap enough and as common as squirrels in a forest, so you can replace them easily. Your dad's war prize would be impossible to replace in comparison.

So that's my take. If your son sold you an easily replaceable gun, use it as you see fit. If not, buy something reliable and replaceable. Leave Dad's at home.
    Last edited by bluetrane2028; July 9th, 2014 at 08:23 AM.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrane2028 View Post
    I personally think it's a great idea to have a couple guns with no paper trail, just in case we have a confiscation event like Australia had. If they don't know you have it, they won't know to look for it.

I personally wouldn't carry such a gun unless it was easily replaceable. If you have to defend yourself with it, you will probably have it confiscated for evidence and may never see it again without jumping through legal hoops. That's why I carry Glocks. They are typically cheap enough and as common as squirrels in a forest, so you can replace them easily. Your dad's war prize would be impossible to replace in comparison.

So that's my take. If your son sold you an easily replaceable gun, use it as you see fit. If not, buy something reliable and replaceable. Leave Dad's at home.
    True Dat! I echo all of this. Please do not create a paperwork trail without a legal requirement to do so.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Let me be the first to say welcome to the Forum.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikomi-1 View Post
    I bought a 9mm from son what do I have to do somebody told me nothing,do I have to register ?also my dad brought a gun back from germany probably hidden back then it was in the 40s.I want to know on both questions

1 does your son reside in pa? If so he can gift it to you. If not you must go through an ffl

2. does your dad live in pa? if so he can gift it to you If not you must go through an ffl.

Being that the state police maintains a sales database some might suggest that you use an ffl in any case if you ever decide to carry this gun.

As for the comments of having guns with no paper trail. Really?the trail ends with the last owner. who then points to who? Thats right you. hen you get to explain how you procured this gun with no paper trail. Either the last owner is a liar or you are.
    Last edited by normanvin; July 9th, 2014 at 04:13 PM.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lehigh County)

Just to add, when my father passed away 2 years ago, he left me with about 10 firearms, 6 of which I was not interested in owning (revolvers - just not a fan) So a few months later I sold them to people here on the forum and not one question was asked by any FFL where my firearms came from.
    -jFw

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    1 does your son reside in pa? If so he can gift it to you. If not you must go through an ffl

2. does your dad live in pa? if so he can gift it to you If not you must go through an ffl.

Being that the state police maintains a sales database some might suggest that you use an ffl in any case if you ever decide to carry this gun.

As for the comments of having guns with no paper trail. Really?the trail ends with the last owner. who then points to who? Thats right you. hen you get to explain how you procured this gun with no paper trail. Either the last owner is a liar or you are.
    My dad owns some guns from before there was such a thing as a background check or a sales registry. There is literally no paperwork pointing them to him, and certainly not to me.

Also, I have some guns that I bought privately. The paper trail ends at whoever bought them last at an FFL. Nothing leads then to me, which is fine as private transfers are legal.

As for private transfers, I just don't want paper trails going back to me on something that I sold and it ends up in a crime scene. If I buy it privately, I'll sell it privately. If I bought it at an FFL, you bet I want it transferred.

In the OP's case, the supposed German bring back was probably never recorded by anyone anywhere unless the OP's dad lived in a state that required a registration and he registered it.

It is entirely possible that no paper points to the OP with at least one if not both of those guns.

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    What if the original owner died years ago, and had had the firearm(s) since well before FFL transfers were required. Under federal law, inheritences ("bequests") are exempt from the FFL requirement, even for interstate transfers. If my father's old Army buddy in Nevada decides to put in his will that I inherit his WW2 Luger and Mauser K98 -- the executor of the will can just box them up and send them to me, or if I'm in Nevada he can simply hand them to me. The only paper trail would be the will (which may or may not itemize or otherwise identify the firearms -- it would just say "all my guns shall go to ___"), and I don't think the BATFE routinely checks probate courts when trying to trace crime guns.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    What if the original owner died years ago, and had had the firearm(s) since well before FFL transfers were required. Under federal law, inheritences ("bequests") are exempt from the FFL requirement, even for interstate transfers. If my father's old Army buddy in Nevada decides to put in his will that I inherit his WW2 Luger and Mauser K98 -- the executor of the will can just box them up and send them to me, or if I'm in Nevada he can simply hand them to me. The only paper trail would be the will (which may or may not itemize or otherwise identify the firearms -- it would just say "all my guns shall go to ___"), and I don't think the BATFE routinely checks probate courts when trying to trace crime guns.
    So you are going to take a chance of looseing all your gun rites because some bueracrate may or may not be doing his or her job?

As for the inheratnace I am not so sure it as easy as just boxing it up and sending it to you.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast