Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Question Ranges near West Chester, PA

Does anyone know of any decent outdoor ranges in the main line area, near Malvern, Paoli or West Chester?

Thanks,

Lori
    Last edited by LAMcLeod04; June 29th, 2006 at 05:17 PM.

Default Ranges Near West Chester

I lived in WC for a while and used Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club. Less than 30 minutes from your door 202 to 422W to the Oaks exit. 3/4 mile off the exit on Egypt road. Indoor/outdoor pistol. 100 yard outdoor range is nearly complete. 30 stand archery course, 4 trap houses. As far as club activities, if you can't find something to do there take up bowling. Junior rifle, IDPA, trap, CMP is to be coming there soon I hear, archery, pistol club, had air rifle for a while as well.

They have a booth at the Velly Forge Gun Show and you can get a discount on your intial rate.

(Montgomery County)

How are they for 'high capacity' firearms? And is there limitation on how many rounds you can fire in a period of time?

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    I lived in WC for a while and used Lower Providence Rod and Gun Club. Less than 30 minutes from your door 202 to 422W to the Oaks exit. 3/4 mile off the exit on Egypt road. Indoor/outdoor pistol. 100 yard outdoor range is nearly complete. 30 stand archery course, 4 trap houses. As far as club activities, if you can't find something to do there take up bowling. Junior rifle, IDPA, trap, CMP is to be coming there soon I hear, archery, pistol club, had air rifle for a while as well.

They have a booth at the Velly Forge Gun Show and you can get a discount on your intial rate.
    How much does it cost per year...I like the idea of an indoor range.

$130 per year. You can visit their site: www.lowerprovidencerodandgunclub.com

(Montgomery County)

Looks like nice range. Well laid out.

Restriction on magazine capacity kills it for me.

Also can't fire any 'bottleneck' cartridges except for .357 SIG. So no 7.62x25 Tokarev or 7.63 Mauser.

Thanks for the input though! Always great to see options out there.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Ranges near West Chester, PA

Where'd you find the mag capacity limit on their site? I haven't seen it.

I was thinking of joining this club as well, but I've been hearing rumors (from some folks I work with) that they are in danger of being closed down? Any truth to this?

FWIW, I've been searching for nearby ranges as well and also found the following:

http://www.sccsfa.org/

http://www.atglensportsmensclub.org/

I haven't looked too deeply into either of these yet either, but I plan on joining the best club I can find when the spring comes. I just wish there were someplace with a 100-yd or so outdoor range with no restrictions on capacity or rate of fire, and even better still, where you could bring your own various stuff to shoot (cans, water jugs, etc.) to spice things up a bit. Anyone know of such a place?

As far as magazine restrictions, there is a qualifier test that once you pass, you can use three rounds in a rifle. Here's the deal, this club is set in a suburban setting, so it's crucial that it remains safety at all times. This applies to water jugs, etc. All it takes is one knucklehead to shoot a metal or glass jug, a piece goes flying, and someone gets hurt. Look at the moron who put a beer keg in a fire last week. It exploded and someone was killed. Can't remember what state that happened in, but some people have no common sense.

No, the range is NOT in danger of closing down. In fact, our 100 yard range is almost complete.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by joseywales View Post
    As far as magazine restrictions, there is a qualifier test that once you pass, you can use three rounds in a rifle. Here's the deal, this club is set in a suburban setting, so it's crucial that it remains safety at all times. This applies to water jugs, etc. All it takes is one knucklehead to shoot a metal or glass jug, a piece goes flying, and someone gets hurt. Look at the moron who put a beer keg in a fire last week. It exploded and someone was killed. Can't remember what state that happened in, but some people have no common sense.

No, the range is NOT in danger of closing down. In fact, our 100 yard range is almost complete.
    Is there a restriction on handgun rounds ? I'm looking for a place to shoot and this is pretty close to NW Phila.
    Handguns are like smoke detectors...one for every floor in your house.

(Berks County)

Guys - I was a member of that club about 10 or so years ago. Nice bunch of folks and once you meet the criteria a great place to shoot. Having said that, they've been talking about a new 100 yd range since I was a member and they can't get it past the township. Just my .02.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast