Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default PPK vs. G42 review

The GF has been looking for a pocket carry gun (we live in PA now). She has shot a bunch of different guns (LCP, LC9, Kimber Solo, Bodyguard, shield and a few others.)

Wednesday night, there was a show on the PPK.

Thursday I got a bonus at work.

Needless to say, Friday, we headed to Cabelas.

She looked at both the PPK/S and a G42. Also looked at the Bersa, but the quality difference between the Walther and the Bersa was noticeable.

She was leaning towards the PPK, but handling both of them, I felt the G42 would be a better choice. But being a wise man, I did not insist, I merely suggested. Which of course, fell on deaf ears and she chose the PPK. Being a wise and generous man, I suggested she get both, which she graciously did.

The G42 is one of the new generation, as you can tell by the "-1" on the Slide Stop.

We picked up a bunch of Herters brass 380 FMJ at a good price (17.99 per box) and 3 boxes of critical defense.

While we were there, I picked up a 30 Rd PMAG, 17 round G17 mag and a 17 round M&P mag, just because.

Anyway, when we got home, it was time to take the little guys for a ride. Luckily, we have enough land and lack of neighbors that the test drive was conducted in the back yard, off the deck.

Obviously, the PPK is a little bigger and a good bit heavier.

The sight picture on the PPK leaves a bit to be desired. It is a notch and post deal, but the notch only has 1 dot, under the notch instead of the normal two dots.

The Glock sight picture is very good for a small gun. Looks just like my G34, just shorter.

Now for the shooting.

Being 380s, the recoil on both is negligible. I was semi expecting the G42 to kick a bit, or be snappy, but no such thing. Both very easy shooters.

Both were equally accurate, and the oddness of the sight picture on the PPK went away after a few rounds. Both pointed neutrally and naturally. We were shooting at 1 gallon paint cans at about 15 yards and were both producing consistent hits on target at that range.

The Glock fits my hands amazingly well. I have large hands, and my favorite gun is my Beretta 92 with Hogue grips. I only get two fingers on the G42 grip, but that hold is very secure and comfortable for me. I was immediately at home with the gun and shooting accurately. My GF was not as comfortable with it. She could get 2 fingers on the grip, but barely 3. With 2 fingers, she did not have a real firm grip, and with 3 her hands were crowded. So she had to decide between less control or a crowded hold.

When I shot the PPK, it fit in my hand well, and again, was a soft shooter. I was accurate with it, but something was amiss. I could not put my finger on it initially, but then I figured it out. The spur was hurting my hand. My GF had no such problem. We compared, and the difference is that when holding the gun, the end of the spur is touching my hand, and when I shoot, the recoil digs the spur into my hand. Her hand was completely under the spur, so when the gun recoiled, it did not come in contact with her hand.

We came to different conclusions as to which gun we preferred. She liked the PPK more and I love the G42.

She liked the heft of the PPK and the slightly milder recoil. She also had a comfortable 3 finger grip on the gun.

My only complaint about either gun is the spur on the PPK beating my hand up.

We each shot about 100 rounds of FMJ through each gun. We then went through a mag of Critical Defense.

The G42 ran like a champ, with no issues at all.

The PPK was a different story. When racking the slide back, there is what I can only describe as a soft stop and a hard stop, about 1/16 of an inch further back. If you do not pull the slide all the way back to the hard stop, the first round will not load properly. It consistently got hung up on the feed ramp if you only pulled back to te soft stop.

Besides that, the PPK ran very well.

Overall, two very good guns. The PPK is just beautiful and shoots well. With my larger hands, the spur was hitting my hands and making it uncomfortable to shoot after a bit. With my GF smaller hands, the PPK fit well, she could get a full grip, and shot very accurately.

The G42 is a Glock. Shoots well, is accurate, is simple and fits like a glove in my hands.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: PPK vs. G42 review

They make spurless magazines for the PPK.
    Besides not touching the fingers, it shortens the height a bit and there is nothing to dig into you with IWB holster carry.
    Try one you might like it.

(Bucks County)

Thank you for that. I am referring to the spur on the frame that protects you from slide bite, though.

Still a great and beautiful firearm.

The slide just bites larger hands. I don't have huge hands and it's not an issue. Maybe it can be just her gun? You might just need to adjust your grip when shooting that one.

(Allegheny County)

In the past, I have owned both a Walther PPKs (mid-late 80s) and a SIG P230 & P232 (mid 90s). I liked both of these guns, but in my opinion - neither one can compare to the new Glock 42.

By far the easiest/softest shooting .380 that I have ever shot (and I have had the chance to shoot many different .380s over the years, be they students guns or guns being shot by participants in the different defensive pistol leagues that we ran since the 80s).

On both the PPKs and the two different SIGs, I would always get a slice in the web of my hand between my thumb and index finger, in fact; after shooting 3-4 mags in either of the two models - I would have a nice trickle of blood.

Again, I liked both of these guns, they were very easy to carry (in a time when little carry 9s were not the norm - as is today.).

But the 42 is a very easy gun to carry and shoot. I feel that it is the perfect gun for the person who is going to buy a gun and only shoot 1-2 boxes through it. (Not that I think this is good, but I know that it is done by many.).

OP, good write up!
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

So you ended up getting a PPK/s, not an actual PPK, correct?
    Repeal the 17th Amendment

(Philadelphia County)

Just got my blued PPK/S on Saturday and I encountered the same issue with racking a slide which causes a double feed. The key is to do a quick and swift rack but not all the way back. Do that and you'll be fine. Great gun. I have shot the G42 and the recoil is similar to a 22 LR. Would recommend that over the PPK due to the difference in recoil, especially if you are a female.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat222 View Post
    So you ended up getting a PPK/s, not an actual PPK, correct?
    Yes ppk\s

Quote Originally Posted by millsan1 View Post
    Yes ppk\s
    The PPK/s is bigger and heavier than a regular PPK. It is the larger PP frame with the shorter PPK slide on it.
    Repeal the 17th Amendment

(Bucks County)

I always liked the extra weight found on a ppk/s. It felt more reassuring. Still my favorite to carry. (I do like the round indicator )
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE