Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sub 2000

(Cumberland County)

Default sub 2000

Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it - but anyone have a Kel Tec sub 2000? They are down to $399 new and they have always interested me as an easy store rifle for trunk, etc.. I am looking at the 40 cal with Beretta mags to share mags with my 96. I am not a Kel Tec pistol fan, but thought their rifles were decent ?
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Elk County)

Default Re: sub 2000

I've had three of them, 9mm, Beretta or SIG mags. They were Jam-o-matics with anything but fairly hot 115 or 124 gr ammo, or the 147 gr recommended by K-Tel, er, Kel-Tec. I have many 9mm firearms, including handguns, Uzi carbines and SBRs, and a few subguns. The ammo I have works in everything reliably, but the Sub 2000 is hit and miss. It's either buy more ammo of the type that works or handload especially for it.

Also, they tended to jam if you limp-shouldered the weapon, that is, if you did not pull back with the weak hand to vigorously weld the buttstock to the shoulder.

In two of them mould flash prevented ease of mag insertion and removal, requiring some trimming with a wood chisel to "plane" the flash away.

The fluorescent pink front sight insert cracked on all three.

It's a great concept and I SO wanted it to "work" for a "car gun" folded in a messenger bag with mags compatible with a handgun. But in 3 for 3 it's a POS, and three strikes and it's out.

If you go to KTOG and the Sub 2000 forum, it is thread after thread of problem after problem, guns returned for factory service, etc. They don't tolerate people calling them what they are - a POS, but if it was some other make about which owners complained as much, people would be up in arms about the problems and lack of functionality.

Can you trust a firearm that is unreliable? I cannot. And after three tries I'm done with the Sub 2000 and Kel-Tec.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    I've had three of them, 9mm, Beretta or SIG mags. They were Jam-o-matics with anything but fairly hot 115 or 124 gr ammo, or the 147 gr recommended by K-Tel, er, Kel-Tec. I have many 9mm firearms, including handguns, Uzi carbines and SBRs, and a few subguns. The ammo I have works in everything reliably, but the Sub 2000 is hit and miss. It's either buy more ammo of the type that works or handload especially for it.

Also, they tended to jam if you limp-shouldered the weapon, that is, if you did not pull back with the weak hand to vigorously weld the buttstock to the shoulder.

In two of them mould flash prevented ease of mag insertion and removal, requiring some trimming with a wood chisel to "plane" the flash away.

The fluorescent pink front sight insert cracked on all three.

It's a great concept and I SO wanted it to "work" for a "car gun" folded in a messenger bag with mags compatible with a handgun. But in 3 for 3 it's a POS, and three strikes and it's out.

If you go to KTOG and the Sub 2000 forum, it is thread after thread of problem after problem, guns returned for factory service, etc. They don't tolerate people calling them what they are - a POS, but if it was some other make about which owners complained as much, people would be up in arms about the problems and lack of functionality.

Can you trust a firearm that is unreliable? I cannot. And after three tries I'm done with the Sub 2000 and Kel-Tec.

Noah
    Greeeeaaat. Well then, $399 is only a deal if it works. Guess I'll start looking at another "next rifle" Thanks!
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Montgomery County)

Pass on it! Noah's post is all anyone needs to read in question of this topic. Sums it up nicely. Keltec has become this company that puts out these awesome ideas and designs but fails badly once the great idea actually turns into a production gun. Either their guns are unreliable paper weights or they have such a hard time keeping up with demand that they are almost non existent... Or both! It sucks! I love a lot of their guns but from what I read about most of them I wouldn't spend the cash and risk getting a POS.

I loved my PF9 until I shot it. Magazine ejected every time I fired it, and it even had the updated mag release. And there's a bajillion other instances of them breaking after very normal use. I would have loved for that pistol to be reliable, it's so small and cool but like many of their guns once it's time to shoot things just fall apart! Very annoying!

And yes i know plenty of people have keltecs that have been 100% reliable but with keltec it seems it's just so much more of a risk when you buy their product. Even many of the popular KSGs and RFBs have issues and end up just "sort of" working. For the money those guns cost it's just not worth it in my opinion
    Last edited by JW1914; July 4th, 2014 at 11:26 AM.
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

(Luzerne County)

I had a chance to get one from a guy at work. The more I looked at it the less I wanted it. The concept is good but the sub just struck me as cheap.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Lackawanna County)

With the ability to sig brace an ar now I don't think this fills the niche anymore

(Centre County)

I traded for one a few years ago and ended up selling it to another forum member. He reported it started to key hole after a few hundred rounds and KelTec was of no help. It was a .40 that took Glock mags. It wasn't close to 100% reliable and didn't like 180 gr hollow points.

The "pistol grip" (ack) was and is known to crack and the reciprocating charging handle smacked me in the hand once, which was less than pleasant.

Maybe a CX4 or JR carbine would work better for you......
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Elk County)

www.thektog.org

For all your Kel-Tec horror stories, err, info needs.

Don't take my word for it.

Noah

(Cumberland County)

Thanks all - going to pass My next build is going to be a 300 blackout in 8" or so with the brace. Just thought the fold in half design was pretty neat - throw it in a backpack, etc. - but not after hearing your experiences. I would never buy a Kel Tec pistol ( I know, many love them ) guess I'll add Kel Tec rifle to the never list.
    "Tastefully Pimptastic"

(Elk County)

You chose . . . wisely.

Noah

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast