Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question

(Delaware County)

Default Question

Lately I've been around a lot of "open carry" guys that espouse going into resturants and other buildings armed with pistols and especially ar's slung over their chests.

They seem to think no one should be upset.

So, my question is:

If you were sitting in a resturant or in some office building with your family and you looked out the window and saw someone climb out of their vehicle and strap on an AR and start walking toward the door.

What would your reaction be?

1. He's just another nice guy who's open carrying.

2. No, problem, just ignore him.

3. I'm scared about what this guy has in mind

4. I can't wait for him to enter so I can pull my "open Carry" pistol and have the place erupt into a big gun fight.

Having the right doesn't mean that you have to flaunt the right.

I've been around the shooting sports for over 50 years and this is the first time I've ever seen such juvenile behaviour with guns.

I believe this kind of behavour gives the anti gunners a lot of press to use against us. It certainly makes gun enthusiasts look like loonies.

Or is it just an ego trip?

Not sure.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Question

Quote Originally Posted by puccini View Post
    Lately I've been around a lot of "open carry" guys that espouse going into resturants and other buildings armed with pistols and especially ar's slung over their chests.

They seem to think no one should be upset.

So, my question is:

If you were sitting in a resturant or in some office building with your family and you looked out the window and saw someone climb out of their vehicle and strap on an AR and start walking toward the door.

What would your reaction be?

1. He's just another nice guy who's open carrying.

2. No, problem, just ignore him.

3. I'm scared about what this guy has in mind

4. I can't wait for him to enter so I can pull my "open Carry" pistol and have the place erupt into a big gun fight.

Having the right doesn't mean that you have to flaunt the right.

I've been around the shooting sports for over 50 years and this is the first time I've ever seen such juvenile behaviour with guns.

I believe this kind of behavour gives the anti gunners a lot of press to use against us. It certainly makes gun enthusiasts look like loonies.

Or is it just an ego trip?

Not sure.

I open carry a pistol most often. Not an issue where I live. Packing an AR around seems over the top to me. Needless to say In my not so humble opinion. Your mileage may vary.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Franklin County)

Number 3
    Haze Gray and Underway ⚓️ 1965-1969 CS3

(Mercer County)

OCing a pistol? Continue with my food. Walking in with an AR? I will be watching him with the same level of intensity that I would if Jennifer Aniston walked in naked.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(York County)

A lot would depend on details and variables you left out. Do I already know this person? I've met sprrdwk and I would not be looking at him like JA naked, for example.

Just to illustrate the point, and I could go on for pages with variables. Why aren't you addressing the folks who favor the idea, it seems all you're trying to do here is develop a self supporting consensus, bit of a logical fallacy, your setup seems just a tad biased toward the opinion you already hold.

And this is coming from someone (me) who has never OC'd a long gun in public, not even at a rally. I support freedom and liberty, even if I don't want to practice it.

I really had nothing good to say about the 2 in the now famous pic from Texas, the skinny and the, uh, large guy? Yeah, them. So I guess this is where my variables come into play, and I have a lot of them. Let me see video, angles, faces, movements, ages, hear voices, all kinds of visual cues, and I'll play it as I see it.

I find your poll unanswerable as it stands. That said, I generally support the normalizing of a well-holstered openly carried pistol, and I have been practicing that for over 5 1/2 years now. In my opinion the experience has been incredible and 100% positive, so I guess that speaks to the pistol part of it.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

I would consider them a threat until I had a reason not to. I don't know the person and do not know if they are just trying to make a point or are the next James Holmes.
    Proof Armed citizens make a difference. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=316012

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    OCing a pistol? Continue with my food. Walking in with an AR? I will be watching him with the same level of intensity that I would if Jennifer Aniston walked in naked.

So you're gonna pop wood if you see me OCing a rifle?

(Bucks County)

If I see/saw a person carrying a long-gun in public (besides outside hunting) I go on alert mode, until it's clear they are not a threat. If they had entered a building and seem nervous, edgy, twitchy etc I would begin to prepare myself to take action. I've only seen this 2 or 3 times in my entire life. Only 1 of those times I was armed myself. Of course nothing happened though.

Some of my friends would probably piss themselves if they saw a dude walk into an Applebees with an AR-15. I do agree with whoever said its a bit over the top. Open carry your handgun all you want, where you can, when you want, but carrying a long gun into a restaurant is impractical anyway, it's probably a bit large to comfortably carry and then when you sit down you'd have to kind of set it somewhere or lean it against something. Handgun sticks in your holster. IDK. I think if you OC'ed an AR-15 into a restaurant in most places in the Delaware Valley you'd cause a panic, people thinking "disgruntled employee" or some other crap.

Do what you want but remember there's a good segment of population who don't even know OC'ing a handgun in PA is legal. Imagine if they saw an AR-15....
    Last edited by Storm88000; July 1st, 2014 at 01:29 AM.
    -jFw

(Montgomery County)

If the person is OC'ing a rifle in front of him with the finger near the trigger, that is not OC, that is brandishing. It's as if your pistol is in your hand and you're in ready position.
    It's just stupid to walk around like that.

(Bucks County)

I agree it could cause problems but there is no brandishing law in Pennsylvania.
    -jFw

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast