Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Red face PA hunter needs help

I just started coyote hunting. I have tryed mouth calls and electronic callers but did not work. I have never herd them howl or bark before at night or in the day. I know that they are there because I have seen there tracks and I have seen them in deer season. What are some tricks to calling them in.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: PA hunter needs help

Road Kill and then just sit back 100yrds and be quiet

Rich

What sort of wind conditions did you have when you used the callers? If it's heavy winds, you probably won't get any critters to respond. Another thing to keep in mind is the volume of the calling. When using an e-caller, you don't want to crank up the volume on the unit. You also might want to try to call for 60 seconds...give a minute or two and repeat. Don't call for 5 minutes straight and if you don't get any response in around 20-30 minutes...move onto the next call site.

Probably the best trick to any hunt is to not smell human. Although a fox or wolf will cross your path looking for you (usually unnoticed) you will rarely cross its path with out him noticing you.

When i was in Canada, we had a wolf hunt a while back, the Govt was actually paying $50 per set of ears. Quickly stopped when they realized the majority of ears where dog or wild dog ears.

Wolves generally found in packs where thought to be a cause of deer carcas found partially eaten in the woods.. Turns out a wild dog will do a lot of damage also.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Cambria County)

Actually, a feral dog (or a pack of them) will do MORE damage than wolves will. Wolves will generally only kill when they are hungry, and they eat what they kill. Dogs, on the other hand, will kill just to kill, and then leave the carcasses to rot.
    Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in every caliber.

I'm armed and menopausal...Excuse me, did you have something to say?

(Adams County)

A friend of mine was telling me his uncle pinches a blade of grass between his thumbs (you know what I mean) and does a call with that. He said the one time he was there to visit, he did that and he saw 4 yotes appear within a few minutes. Different state though, not PA.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    A friend of mine was telling me his uncle pinches a blade of grass between his thumbs (you know what I mean) and does a call with that. He said the one time he was there to visit, he did that and he saw 4 yotes appear within a few minutes. Different state though, not PA.
    that's imitating a rodent distress call....you can buy calls to do the same thing or use the grass method....if there are yotes around you can use that to draw them in closer....

(Perry County)

Not suggesting that this is the only way to hunt Coyote.... but the most effective way to hunt them is with dogs. Where I'm originally from, we have a huge coyote hunt every year.... I know a camp of guys that always get coyotes because they drive them with dogs.. Great way to hunt.. but kind of impractical unless you happen to have a bunch of scent hounds lying around.. haha

(Westmoreland County)

Thumbs up Re: PA hunter needs help

Excellent statewide response to this hunt. Thanks to all and to all are welcome. We'll have a blast ! Pardon the pun. You wouldn't believe the mail and or email i have received about anti coyote hunting. Not any big numbers, 3 to be exact but the boobs actually don't see any merit in hunts for coyote. No stated facts only conjecture that would have sheep farmers going crazy and I have no clue with helping deer and turkey using their ideas. This is America and God love them for their passion. I'll respect them for that, as long as others are respected for their opinion as well. I am familier with the wildlife biological reproduction angle, but these opinions don't include the migratory nature of the species that require hunters to respond or lose deer herds or turkey flocks in a short time. Predators are predatory and man sits atop that pole. Yes we either figure a way to eliminate reproduction of coyotes on demand or we simply hunt them. They won't be hunted unless something like a hunt spurs hunters to hunt them. Coyotes offer no palatable reasons to hunt, unlike the majority of other wild fare. Hunts create an opportunity for specie regulation by the people who care the most about other species survival. With this thought may I declare THE BIG DOG HUNT IS ON ! For more information visit http://tubmilltroutclub.org .

(Jefferson County)

Your best bet is to do a early evening scout.

Find out where their den is at.

It will soon be time for the mothers to have the pups and the fathers will be putting on the miles.

The reason that you don't see them is because they put on 10 - 20 miles a night looking for food.

You might not have stayed in one spot long enough for you to have had seen them.

Again, scent control is of the utmost importance.

The guy that put on the coyote calling seminar a few years ago at Bob's Army and Navy told us the in's and outs of coyote hunting.

Get yourself a decoy.

A lifesized stuffed rabbit works well.

Move the speakers away from you as much as 50 yards.

Coyote's have been known to have attacked humans that were sitting beside the call, because they thought that the people were the animal that was making the noise.

Do not educate the coyote's.

If you call them, do not keep going back to the same exact place.

If you miss, do not go back to the same place. They get to knowing what a gun sounds like and do not like being shot at.

If you shoot one, do not jump up and run after it. There might be two or three other coyotes in the brush watching you - and once they assume that a gunshot is a hunter - they will know to avoid the area in which you are trying to call them and will avoid calls all together.

I had a brother that called on in one morning in spring turkey season - with his turkey call. It saw the decoy and pounced on it and tore it to shreads.

It was MY DECOY!

Coyotes hardly ever stop running, so if you see one and you get the chance to shoot one - take it! Don't wait for it to stop running and give you a broad side shot - because you might never get the opportunity to get a shot that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast