Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default IDPA: Beast of the East II - Beastlier

So this past weekend was the 2014 Beast of the East at Easton Fish & Game. This was one of the hardest sanctioned matches I have ever shot. The match directors did an awesome job with the stages, the props and everything.

Unfortunately I didn't do so well, but still had fun.

DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: IDPA: Beast of the East II - Beastlier

That looked like a good mix of stages. Some challenging ones for sure.

Don't worry, you weren't the only one that didn't shoot as well as you thought you should have. I was down at LPRGC getting baked in the sun on Saturday. Holy crap did I have a huge number of mental mistakes. Set a record for PE's. Funny thing was, they had some technical issues and nobody got scored any penalties, just points down. I feel a little dirty because I know I shot much worse than the results show.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Northampton County)

Match is a named appropriately for sure. We told Ken to have shirts made next year that you can buy after you shoot that say "I got Beasted"

I am WAY too tired to even think about working on my video right now ... 8 hours of shooting on Friday and then having to work the match Sat/Sun, plus breakdown after took its toll on me -- time to go stare at our awards

Will we see you on Sunday for Guths?

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post

Don't worry, you weren't the only one that didn't shoot as well as you thought you should have. I was down at LPRGC getting baked in the sun on Saturday. Holy crap did I have a huge number of mental mistakes. Set a record for PE's. Funny thing was, they had some technical issues and nobody got scored any penalties, just points down. I feel a little dirty because I know I shot much worse than the results show.
    Even with the glitches, though, you gotta figure it (mostly) averages out - the best shooters *tend* to have fewer penalties, so while the times may be lower than they should, the overall rankings should be pretty close.

At least, that's what I will keep telling myself. (In the results as reported, I beat the Match Director by 1 place - I'll take it)

Sun was something...

ETA: Actually I had no non-threats and only 2 PEs, so - except for the squib that $^@%&* up the last stage - my scores are just about spot on.
    Last edited by Sgt.K; June 29th, 2014 at 10:14 PM.

(Bucks County)

I haven't done IDPA, so excuse my ignorance.

Just curious about your gun, it looks like a modded out Glock. Does IDPA have a category for modded guns or is that still considered "standard"?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelVain View Post
    I haven't done IDPA, so excuse my ignorance.

Just curious about your gun, it looks like a modded out Glock. Does IDPA have a category for modded guns or is that still considered "standard"?
    He is using an XDm ... the 5.25" model chambered in 45ACP. He is shooting this in the CDP Division (45s only) and allows for some modifications such as magazine wells, externally visible trigger work, etc.

If you wanted to shoot something like a 9mm or 40sw you would shoot in Stock Service Pistol (SSP) or Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP). The ESP Division allows for modifications such as the magwells and external trigger mods that arent allowed in SSP.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    Even with the glitches, though, you gotta figure it (mostly) averages out - the best shooters *tend* to have fewer penalties, so while the times may be lower than they should, the overall rankings should be pretty close.

At least, that's what I will keep telling myself. (In the results as reported, I beat the Match Director by 1 place - I'll take it)

Sun was something...

ETA: Actually I had no non-threats and only 2 PEs, so - except for the squib that $^@%&* up the last stage - my scores are just about spot on.
    Ha, that was you. You were on my squad. I was in the red Phillies shirt. I'll say hi the next time I see you. You might remember me spending too much time clowning around and shooting the last two stages poorly. Sorry for the thread drift, OP.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by IntenseImage View Post
    He is using an XDm ... the 5.25" model chambered in 45ACP. He is shooting this in the CDP Division (45s only) and allows for some modifications such as magazine wells, externally visible trigger work, etc.

If you wanted to shoot something like a 9mm or 40sw you would shoot in Stock Service Pistol (SSP) or Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP). The ESP Division allows for modifications such as the magwells and external trigger mods that arent allowed in SSP.
    To clarify a little further, Stock Service Pistol (SSP) must:

• Be semi-automatic.
    • Be double action, double action only, or striker fired.
    • Be 9mm (9x19) or larger caliber.
    Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP) must:

• Be semi-automatic.
    • Be 9mm (9x19) or larger caliber.
    Custom Defensive Pistol (CDP) must:

• Be semi-automatic.
    • Be .45 ACP caliber.
    There are *way* more rules that get into specifics, but these will let you determine what division your gun falls into. Regardless of division and modifications, ALL guns must fit in a specified size box. ESP and CDP equipment rules are word-for-word identical except for caliber, but CDP has an 8-round-per-magazine limit, while ESP allows 10-round. If my 10-round mags for my 1911 fit in the box (they don't) I could shoot ESP with them. Since they don't, I'm limited to my 8-round mags. I *could* shoot ESP with the 8-rounders, but I would be handicapping myself against other shooters by needing an extra reload on longer stages, so I stick with CDP, though I apply my classification scores to ESP as well. Junior.K#1 carries a Glock 21 on duty - if he wanted to only load 8 rounds per mag he could technically classify in all 3 pistol divisions with it in a single Classifier match.

Much fun...

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the clarification. I've been thinking of doing IDPA for years. I bought Walt Rauch's book on IDPA 10 years ago and it looked very interesting. I've read that it has grown so much in the last decade and there are great videos out there that show CoF's and how intense they can be.

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post

I read you Loud N Clear. The heat usually does not bother me but I was off on Saturday. The Vino rack was a little light from Friday when I checked after the match but that is no excuse!
    The match was a good warm up for The B 0f E.